This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are video games trying to become movies?

#11gamestop27Posted 8/20/2013 10:45:36 PM
Jx1010 posted...
Western developers are embarrassed to play video games that look
like video games

By making video games that look like movies, they plan to become
accepted by society

I've been saying this for years, this push to emulate movies is just a cry for validation.
---
War is stimulating if you can send other peoples' children off to die.When it's your own family and friends, it's not so much fun.~HassleCat
#12Jx1010Posted 8/21/2013 2:27:29 AM
gamestop27 posted...
Jx1010 posted...
like video games

accepted by society

I've been saying this for years, this push to emulate movies is just a cry for validation.

Do u work at gamestop?
#13gamestop27Posted 8/21/2013 10:30:58 AM
Jx1010 posted...
gamestop27 posted...
Jx1010 posted...
like video games

accepted by society

Do u work at gamestop?

No, gamespot was the first forum I signed up for back in 2004 and I made my handle out of haste. So when I signed up here a few years later I didn't know gamefaqs and gamespot had merged and I was stuck with this username.
---
War is stimulating if you can send other peoples' children off to die.When it's your own family and friends, it's not so much fun.~HassleCat
#14bad3ip420Posted 8/21/2013 6:04:31 PM
gamestop27 posted...
Jx1010 posted...
gamestop27 posted...
Jx1010 posted...
like video games

accepted by society

Do u work at gamestop?

No, gamespot was the first forum I signed up for back in 2004 and I made my handle out of haste. So when I signed up here a few years later I didn't know gamefaqs and gamespot had merged and I was stuck with this username.

Not sure if you read it wrong or just stupid.
---
PSN: Remall69 (Playing: Dragon's Dogma)
"MC: Nosferatu l Pawn:Apostle Vlad(used Behelit and sacrificed my previous Arisen. Now awakened and blood thirsty
#15Devilman_AmonPosted 8/21/2013 6:08:06 PM
Because if you sell 10, million copies of a game that cost the consumer +$60 with extended revenue (from rentals, DLC, recycled sequels) etc, you stand a chance at making just as much if not more than even the biggest AAA Hollywood movies...

So this actually happened and then Call of Duty developers said hey lets make our games feel like a Michael Bay movie and the rest of the industry followed suit

Soon after that Megaman was sacrificed and killed and Breath of Fire became a mobile game...

Megaman died for our sins..
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#16HanfengLinPosted 8/21/2013 6:11:11 PM
^ Finally something not stupid from you, Amon.

You have a point. The mass push towards trying to make a Golden Egg (CoD) has pushed most mainstream games towards appealing to the drool-cup dudebros who need large explosions every 5 seconds to keep any form of attention on what is happening.
#17DevilTears604Posted 8/21/2013 6:11:21 PM
TC, when you come up with a completely new and unique gameplay formula that doesn't already exist in the video game space, give us a call. Then, you'll be validated.
---
Gamers are too reactionary. Games are like fine wine, they must linger for us to get their true taste. There are plenty of examples.
#18HanfengLinPosted 8/21/2013 6:13:43 PM
DevilTears604 posted...
TC, when you come up with a completely new and unique gameplay formula that doesn't already exist in the video game space, give us a call. Then, you'll be validated.

Except it doesn't have to be "new" as you seem to view "new".

Considering we've explored most ideas, EXECUTION of those ideas can be new if developers were able to be inspired anymore.
#19likematchesPosted 8/21/2013 6:16:30 PM
Games are becoming like movies because game designers want to be considered "visionary" and respected like film directors.

Games are becoming linear because designers want you to see *their* narrative and not your own.
#20HanfengLinPosted 8/21/2013 6:18:49 PM
likematches posted...
Games are becoming like movies because game designers want to be considered "visionary" and respected like film directors.

Games are becoming linear because designers want you to see *their* narrative and not your own.

We saw their narrative without linearity to this degree.

We always did.

AGAIN, the pivotal point came from what consumer-base became the majority. And FYI, it isn't real gamers.