This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible to play a JP game without knowing Japanese at all?

#1SockNightPosted 8/18/2013 3:58:45 AM
I've heard of people doing it but I want to play Tales of Xillia 2 and not wait a year.
#2Ace_DefectivePosted 8/18/2013 4:00:23 AM
Yeah as long as you have guides to refer to. Otherwise, good luck with navigating the menus.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tAjKHgxrJQ <3
Forever hoping for a sequel. Goddammit I'm begging you, tri-Ace!
#3AnonUnknownPosted 8/18/2013 4:00:52 AM
Depends on the genere. I could play Harmony Of Dissonance and Megaman Zero on GBA when they were released in Japan.
#4SockNight(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 4:03:04 AM
AnonUnknown posted...
Depends on the genere. I could play Harmony Of Dissonance and Megaman Zero on GBA when they were released in Japan.

Yea the game does matter but Castlevania and Megaman is straight forward enough not to need one.
#5lambchipsPosted 8/18/2013 4:12:42 AM
PC games can use atlas and agth, on the ps3 you're pretty much out of luck unless you have a basic understanding of radicals and know how to use a kanji dictionary...
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#6Mass_CarrierPosted 8/18/2013 4:23:35 AM
As long as you don't care about the story/characters, sure. I can't imagine Xillia will play that much different from any other Tales game.
---
Probably not changing this sig until Sega announces a western release of Yakuza 5 - May 30 2013
http://i.imgur.com/WaN8M.png
#7AnthranDawn122Posted 8/18/2013 4:35:15 AM
It certainly is possible! As long as there are walkthroughs available in English. You won't get the full experience, but it is possible to play from start to finish.
---
Currently Playing Eternal Sonata (PS3) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
Steam: AnthranDawn PSN: AnthranDawn122
#8izza20Posted 8/18/2013 5:13:00 AM
That really depends on the game...

But let's face it... a Tales game? Would those games be actually enjoyable if you didn't unerstand what was going on?

I attempted to play the ps3 version of Tales of Vesperia. I actually know a little Japanese. I probably could've gotten by in the game, although it was a struggle, but not knowing what was going on sucked most of the fun out of the game. Went out and bought an xbox 360 when a store here had them on sale for a steal. Only bought three games for the system, but was worth it pretty much just for ToV in english.

Just wait for the game. I actually doubt it will be a full year, all they've said is 2014, we have no idea when in 2014 it will be.
#9SockNight(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 5:17:34 AM
izza20 posted...
That really depends on the game...

But let's face it... a Tales game? Would those games be actually enjoyable if you didn't unerstand what was going on?

I attempted to play the ps3 version of Tales of Vesperia. I actually know a little Japanese. I probably could've gotten by in the game, although it was a struggle, but not knowing what was going on sucked most of the fun out of the game. Went out and bought an xbox 360 when a store here had them on sale for a steal. Only bought three games for the system, but was worth it pretty much just for ToV in english.

Just wait for the game. I actually doubt it will be a full year, all they've said is 2014, we have no idea when in 2014 it will be.

:/ yea...
#10Flare1721Posted 8/18/2013 5:34:47 AM
I want to play Tales of Vesperia on Ps3 but I think it be to much of a hassle.
---
Xemnas - Best Final Boss Ever - KH2, We Want Mega Man Legends 3!
PSN: Strife1721 Boston Bruins thank you for a hard fought season!