This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Now that the PS3 is 199 dollars, it is the best console of all time.

#41XenosheartPosted 8/19/2013 3:30:47 PM
mildare_el_rayo posted...
Xenosheart posted...
PS3 isn't fully compatible with PS1 games. It doesn't play my platinum FF VIII....

I've played FFVIII on my PS3... Maybe the disc was scratched?

No it's like new. I read some years ago that there was a list of PS games the PS3 isn't compatible with. Platinum FF VIII was included.
---
Final Fantasy IX / Kingdom Hearts
|GR|
#42JahkeemyorkPosted 8/19/2013 3:38:05 PM
THe prime time of gaming generations are as follow.

SNES: Vast Library, many games for many fans of all genres, never really a dry out. The Nintendo Seal of Quality ensured that almost every game out would be absolutely fantastic. (Too bad that seal of quality's quality now is completely shot dead)

PS2: Again Vast Library many hit games, companies were more focused on how they could evolutionize gameplay with it rather then graphics. Showed many promises and delivered on it was also easy to develop for. PS2 also gave birth to many franchises.

3DS: Started off slow but huge library, many quality games to play, more quality games coming out from the Horizon makes the 3DS, like the DS the most desired handheld on the Market, Sony has a chance with the Vita but they seem to be too focused on the PS4 to try and at least have a desired impact on the handheld Market.

PS3 (2012-2013 Era) Much better Variety now, exclusives are now looking more and more of a reason to own a PS3. Sony is no longer in the "We need gritty games to counter Microsoft" mood and cause of that we got games like Journey, Pupeteer, ect and then Namco is going JRPG crazy on the PS3. Atelier Series, Yakuza 4 was a great game. Just goes on and on.
#43thisranksPosted 8/19/2013 3:44:51 PM
toadieman posted...
Spike21 posted...
How does the ps3 have full backwards compatibility with ps1?

You put a ps1 disc in and it'll play it.

My physical copy of Grandia doesn't work on either my PS2 or PS3. Fortunately i still have a PS1 if i choose to play it. It's been stated the PS3 is approximately 98% B/C.

I'm not willing to agree it's the best console of all time. Every console has it's pluses and minuses.
---
Delusions are as necessary to happiness as realities.
Yuki Nagato, Mafuyu Oribe, Kurumu Korono, Yui Kotogawa, Kaori Kanzaki, and Himari Noihara FTW
#44UponADarkThornePosted 8/19/2013 4:10:17 PM
SNES is still king and the only console that game close to dethroning it was the original PlayStation.
#45Bob the AlmightyPosted 8/19/2013 4:35:56 PM
UponADarkThorne posted...
SNES is still king and the only console that game close to dethroning it was the original PlayStation.

Probably gonna get flamed for this, but a lot of those older games don't hold up as well as we think. I like to rank consoles based on their era instead of comparing them to systems of today.

In 2013 I would put the PS3 above the SNES or PS1 in a heartbeat, but I feel both the SNES and the PS1 were better consoles in their day than the PS3 was in its, if that makes any sense.

And no, I'm not saying "old games suck," because a lot of them are classics, but the games as a whole don't hold up. Yeah you have standouts like Mario and Crash Bandicoot and the Castlevanias but then you have a buttload of crap that was passable by 1980s/1990s standards that I bet you couldn't play for more than five minutes today before shutting it off.

The same will hold true with the PS3. By 2006-2013 standards a lot of the games are at least competent but in ten or fifteen years a large portion of the library is going to be viewed as archaic and uninspired. Every console is going to have their classics that will always stand the test of time but 90% of any console's library in garbage and will be viewed as garbage after enough time has passed.
---
You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.
#46Draconas_LyrrPosted 8/19/2013 4:40:08 PM
Varron posted...
dantegt4 posted...
uhm...where can I buy it for $199 new ? link pls.

I don't know who else has them, but I know the Kmart I work at has 2 of them in the electronics stock room, I was checking them out yesterday.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
Difference between "a" and "an": "a" comes before consonant sounds, "an" before vowel sounds.
#47MadDewgPosted 8/19/2013 4:58:43 PM
Bob the Almighty posted...
UponADarkThorne posted...

Probably gonna get flamed for this, but a lot of those older games don't hold up as well as we think. I like to rank consoles based on their era instead of comparing them to systems of today.

In 2013 I would put the PS3 above the SNES or PS1 in a heartbeat, but I feel both the SNES and the PS1 were better consoles in their day than the PS3 was in its, if that makes any sense.

And no, I'm not saying "old games suck," because a lot of them are classics, but the games as a whole don't hold up. Yeah you have standouts like Mario and Crash Bandicoot and the Castlevanias but then you have a buttload of crap that was passable by 1980s/1990s standards that I bet you couldn't play for more than five minutes today before shutting it off.

The same will hold true with the PS3. By 2006-2013 standards a lot of the games are at least competent but in ten or fifteen years a large portion of the library is going to be viewed as archaic and uninspired. Every console is going to have their classics that will always stand the test of time but 90% of any console's library in garbage and will be viewed as garbage after enough time has passed.

To be honest with you, the classic 8/16/32 bit games hold up way more than today's "cinematic" games. People will always talk about how great super mario world, zelda a link to the past, alundra, super mario bros. 3, sonic the hehgehog 1-3, castlevania 1-3/symphony of the night, classic disney games made by capcom etc. in gaming history....in comparison, games where the budget obviously went towards the fancy cinematics/explosions the most (which is pretty damn common this generation) like lets say..gears of war, will be forgotten eventually in the long run.

This generation simply doesn't have as many "memorable" games compared to the past. Hell xbox live arcade and psn has more memorable games then the retail stuff.
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg NNID:xMadDoggx Playing monster hunter 3 ult., fire emblem awakening, one piece pirate warriors, shantae: risky's revenge
#48thestickerPosted 8/19/2013 5:29:38 PM(edited)
All three of the last gen consoles (four if you count the Dreamcast) were better than the PS3. Just referring to games alone, this gen honestly doesn't have any games that stand up to the classics of last gen, apart from maybe Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Think about Metroid Prime, Ninja Gaiden Black, Halo 1+2, Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, Beyond Good & Evil, Okami, Resident Evil 4, FF 10/12, the original DMC trilogy, Super Monkey Ball, Wind Waker, etc. and name even one PS3 game that's better than any one of those (besides DeS/DkS).

Even the Dreamcast had Super Magnetic Neo, Spawn, Jet Set Radio, Hydro Thunder, Virtua Tennis (which is seriously more fun than any current gen tennis game), Sonic Adventure, Soul Reaver, Chu Chu Rocket, Shenmue, Record of Lodoss War, etc.

Personally I think the Dreamcast is the best console ever made, with the PSX as a close second, followed by the Gamecube with PS2/Xbox tied close behind.

Edit: Bob The Almighty, you said a lot of the old classics don't hold up today, but I did my best to mention the ones that actually do.
#49Bob the AlmightyPosted 8/19/2013 5:06:36 PM
MadDewg posted...
To be honest with you, the classic 8/16/32 bit games hold up way more than today's "cinematic" games. People will always talk about how great super mario world, zelda a link to the past, alundra, super mario bros. 3, sonic the hehgehog 1-3, castlevania 1-3/symphony of the night, classic disney games made by capcom etc. in gaming history....

Yeah but realistically you're talking about a handful of games there, like ten or fifteen out of how many hundreds of NES, SNES, and PS1 games?

That's my point. People just remember the true/real classics and nothing else. Yeah people sing praise to Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 but no one talks about Beyond the Beyond, Tecmo's Secret of the Stars, or the other 98% of JRPs of that era (just as an example).

I do believe the SNES and PS1 were better systems than the PS3 given their respective-eras but a lot of their games (especially PS1 games, which had terrible 3D graphics and horrible control schemes) don't compete by today's standards.

It's not a knock against older game systems. It's just that the stand-out titles (like Super Metriod, A Link to the Past, and Super Mario World) are what's being compared to the rest of the library.
---
You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.