This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I went back to MGS1 on the ole' PS1.....

#71evil_cricketPosted 8/20/2013 2:46:51 PM
Metal Gear Solid isn't bad, imo. The graphics aren't bad, and the gameplay/controls are solid. I pretty much rotate through the series when I'm not playing something new. I recently got the Twin Snakes, but until then I always played the PS1 version.

What kills me are games like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider. If I want to walk left, I don't want to rotate my character left, then walk forward. Just let me move the direction I pressed.
---
"It's good to be the king."
#72SmoshCuchPosted 8/20/2013 2:59:06 PM
evil_cricket posted...
If I want to walk left, I don't want to rotate my character left, then walk forward. Just let me move the direction I pressed.

Those are generally known as 'tank controls', and I agree, they are awful. And it has nothing to do with aging (because games don't age); they were always awful.
#73GazelMinistryPosted 8/20/2013 3:46:32 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
Aged poorly? I don't understand... did the code change over time to make it look and play worse than it did at launch? Did it become self-aware, and is now a grumpy old man?

Really?

It's an expression you've surely heard.
---
I am a nontheist, a nihilist. And I'm sure god loves me anyway.
#74Mr_Big_BossPosted 8/20/2013 4:49:02 PM
SmoshCuch posted...
evil_cricket posted...
If I want to walk left, I don't want to rotate my character left, then walk forward. Just let me move the direction I pressed.

Those are generally known as 'tank controls', and I agree, they are awful. And it has nothing to do with aging (because games don't age); they were always awful.

If they were awful, they wouldn't have turned into multi million dollar franchises.
---
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
#75zyrax2301Posted 8/20/2013 4:51:48 PM
I played it through a week ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree that it has aged, but that doesn't change my opinion of it being the best game ever.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#76kentuckyfr1edPosted 8/20/2013 11:40:04 PM
TheWreckonENG posted...
and holy crap this game has aged poorly! Maybe I've been spoiled by the great graphics I've seen in this current generation of consoles and my high-end gaming PC, but oh my God. I couldn't play more than half an hour because of how awful the graphics were. I know I sound like a douche, but I just couldn't, which sucks because MGS1 is one of my favorite games of all time. Maybe I can find a copy of "The Twin Snakes" somewhere for cheap...

Has anybody else had a problem revisiting an old PS1 game because of how bad they age.

Completely. Ps2 titles with a hd makeover, maybe, but it's hard to go back to PS1.

Then again, MGS1 has a special place in my heart, the VA is just superb. TTS just mangles it in the re-recording of the voice acting.
#77The Real TruthPosted 8/21/2013 12:06:07 AM
With some games it takes about 10-15 minutes for me to adjust to the older looking graphics, and then I'm completely absorbed in the game.
---
Tornadoman78:
tornadoman and tornadogirl like to kick box each other in my tornaolayzers and she dosent even mind getting hit
#78Bob the AlmightyPosted 8/21/2013 1:06:03 AM
LionheartCJ posted...
It's not the graphics for me (I have 16 PS1 classics on my PS3, some probably look worse than MGS), it's the gameplay and the controls. I'm so used to playing the silky smooth MGS2

Eh to be fair both MGS 2 and 3 have crappy controls by today's standards. It's too bad they didn't update/modernize the controls for the HD Collection.
---
You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.
#79DJ_0000Posted 8/21/2013 1:44:47 AM
I can make do with the graphics since it's an old game and I'd be playing it for nostalgia sake, as other have said though it's the controls that would concern me. If I were to play that old of a game I would probably consider putting it on easy since I know the controls will feel like s***.

I actually went back to MGS2 on the PS2 about a year and a half ago and even that felt a bit weird due to the fixed camera, the last game I played with a fixed camera was DMC4. That took some getting used to but I imagine MGS1 might be a huge pain.
---
PSN: gatewaytohell | Kahlan | lv 200 | Sorcerer & PSN: gatewaytohellalt | Kara | lv 200 | Fighter
PSN: gatewaytohellal2 | Iris | lv 200 | Strider
#80Minish_link02Posted 8/21/2013 5:27:15 AM
Nope.

You're missing out on a good game. I feel sorry for you.

I play PS1 games fine on a PSP.

I play the old Resident Evil games regularly. I also played a little bit of Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve.