This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Where are these brown games?

#21theshovellerPosted 8/20/2013 10:11:53 AM
Paragon-57 posted...
Uncharted has actually poked fun at this with the "Next-Gen" cheat, where it turns everything into a brownish dull color. Halo 4 does this as well, with a "Next-Gen" Filter item in the Forge mode.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealIsBrown

A lot of games are - honestly - justified, though. Fallout 3 being one of them.

That's just because there's little to no vegetation left on Earth because it's after World War 3. What do you have? Dirt. What color is dirt? Brown. Sometimes kinda reddish-brown, sometimes kinda tan, but basically.... earth-tones, because it's earth. It's the original earth-tone.

But yeah, a few games early in the generation made heavy use of dull colors.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#22AnonUnknownPosted 8/20/2013 10:19:24 AM(edited)
Still__Rippin posted...
Is this developer really trying to poke fun at other more successful developers?

It's common nowadays, there are even games with weird titles like Cthulhu Saves the World: Super Hyper Enhanced Championship Edition Alpha Diamond DX Plus Alpha FES HD – Premium Enhanced Game of the Year Collector’s Edition (without Avatars!)

I'm not joking, that thing really exists. DLC Quest is another game with that "next-gen" filter. Too bad it was released in 2012.
#23Battleship_GrayPosted 8/20/2013 10:19:19 AM
BaseChouGoku posted...

Regardless, they all have a washed out palette devoid of any bright colors.

No, they really don't. Particularly Bulletstorm, Gears and Borderlands which have plenty of bright colors. I'm starting to get the feeling that you haven't played some of those games you listed for any length of time.

And even still, brown is not gray is not black is not blue. If a game takes place in the desert, a la, Spec Ops, or Journey it should be brown and it's still punctuated by the color of the player character, and that's not a negative point. If a game takes place primarily at night, in the city, then it should be lots of grays and cool colors. Limbo is black and white with a washed out palette devoid of almost any bright colors and it's gorgeous and evokes both mood and atmosphere.

A game that takes place in natural landscapes should have natural colors, Skyrim, Too Human, The Witcher, etc. All of those games have lots of whites, grays, browns, blues, greens of varying intensities. That most likely applies to many other games on that list.

You have some games on that list that really have no place there, you have Pirates on the Caribbean on there which has blue oceans, gold beaches, bright green palm trees and seemingly lots of it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but where did that list even come from? Did you play all of those, because even random Google image searches are showing that many of them aren't overly brown or washed out with no bright colors.
---
http://e-carpenter.tumblr.com/
PSN/XBL: Citizen Soldat
#24BaseChouGokuPosted 8/20/2013 10:23:50 AM
AnonUnknown posted...
Still__Rippin posted...
Is this developer really trying to poke fun at other more successful developers?

It's common nowadays, there are even games with weird titles like Cthulhu Saves the World: Super Hyper Enhanced Championship Edition Alpha Diamond DX Plus Alpha FES HD – Premium Enhanced Game of the Year Collector’s Edition (without Avatars!)

I'm not joking, that thing really exists. DLC Quest is another game with that "next-gen" filter. Too bad it was released in 2012.

There's also a game called "PewPewPew"

And another game called "PewPewPewPewPewPewPewPewPew"

Both on XBox 360

Not joking btw
#25SignusZerielPosted 8/20/2013 10:25:32 AM
"Earth tones" is far more appropriate over brown.

Tho, color for the sake of color is bad too. It is all about the art style.
---
GameFak - Power to the trolls, the asses, and the posers.
#26BaseChouGokuPosted 8/20/2013 10:27:07 AM
Battleship_Gray posted...
BaseChouGoku posted...

Regardless, they all have a washed out palette devoid of any bright colors.

No, they really don't. Particularly Bulletstorm, Gears and Borderlands which have plenty of bright colors. I'm starting to get the feeling that you haven't played some of those games you listed for any length of time.

And even still, brown is not gray is not black is not blue. If a game takes place in the desert, a la, Spec Ops, or Journey it should be brown and it's still punctuated by the color of the player character, and that's not a negative point. If a game takes place primarily at night, in the city, then it should be lots of grays and cool colors. Limbo is black and white with a washed out palette devoid of almost any bright colors and it's gorgeous and evokes both mood and atmosphere.

A game that takes place in natural landscapes should have natural colors, Skyrim, Too Human, The Witcher, etc. All of those games have lots of whites, grays, browns, blues, greens of varying intensities. That most likely applies to many other games on that list.

You have some games on that list that really have no place there, you have Pirates on the Caribbean on there which has blue oceans, gold beaches, bright green palm trees and seemingly lots of it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but where did that list even come from? Did you play all of those, because even random Google image searches are showing that many of them aren't overly brown or washed out with no bright colors.

A lot of them give off that brown feel because of the desaturation and brownish lighting effects mixed in with the brown and grey textures. There are very few games with good lighting this gen which makes the 'realistic' looking games feel drab, depressig and lifeless and thus, brown.
#27theshovellerPosted 8/20/2013 10:29:09 AM
SignusZeriel posted...

I agree with you on both counts. "Earth tones" covers the whole spectrum of tan and taupe to real dark mud-browns, the reddish-brown of clay, and even some greens for mosses and grasses. And having too much color - like a rainbow threw up on the world - isn't good too, unless that's what they're trying to achieve. Katamari Damacy games tend to be colorful without being over-saturated with color.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#28SignusZerielPosted 8/20/2013 10:30:06 AM
theshoveller posted...
SignusZeriel posted...

I agree with you on both counts. "Earth tones" covers the whole spectrum of tan and taupe to real dark mud-browns, the reddish-brown of clay, and even some greens for mosses and grasses. And having too much color - like a rainbow threw up on the world - isn't good too, unless that's what they're trying to achieve. Katamari Damacy games tend to be colorful without being over-saturated with color.

Xenoblade is one that got colors just right too. Nothing was cartoony, yet it was colorful. Vibrant. And then murky and drab when needed.
---
GameFak - Power to the trolls, the asses, and the posers.
#29Battleship_GrayPosted 8/20/2013 10:30:38 AM
BaseChouGoku posted...

A lot of them give off that brown feel because of the desaturation and brownish lighting effects mixed in with the brown and grey textures. There are very few games with good lighting this gen which makes the 'realistic' looking games feel drab, depressig and lifeless and thus, brown.

See that's the thing...a lot of them on that list don't do any of that. Quite a few in fact. Again, I'm not denying that there were plenty of "brown" games this gen, particularly early in the gen, I am wondering how you compiled that list because a lot of those games don't fit the criteria. Glaringly so.
---
http://e-carpenter.tumblr.com/
PSN/XBL: Citizen Soldat
#30AnonUnknownPosted 8/20/2013 10:31:32 AM
BaseChouGoku posted...
AnonUnknown posted...
Still__Rippin posted...

There's also a game called "PewPewPew"

And another game called "PewPewPewPewPewPewPewPewPew"

Both on XBox 360

Not joking btw

*searching*

Oh lol, i want them streamed on Vinesauce.