This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Atelier Series?

#1HyroglyphixsPosted 8/20/2013 12:37:53 AM
Has anyone played these games? I recently found out about them and I was wondering what people think of it.

I like Final Fantasy and Tales series', if that helps.
#2MuskeLGPosted 8/20/2013 1:09:37 AM(edited)
I've played Rorona and Totori and enjoyed them. Nice change of pace. The focus is less about equipment and combat, and more about gathering ingredients and using them to create items through alchemy. The stories are less grandiose than FF games, and the action less robust than the Tales series. It's not your typical JRPG. More like Harvest Moon with turn-based combat.
#3Worker_8_Posted 8/20/2013 1:11:25 AM
They are boring and way to simple.
#4themegaman7Posted 8/20/2013 1:13:08 AM
I looked up some gameplay and the music was an immediate turn off for me.
---
3DS FC: 0817-3836-3544 - PSN: Expa0
- The official Doppelganger of SMT IV boards -
#5JosephDigitalPosted 8/20/2013 1:15:37 AM
Worker_8_ posted...
They are boring and way to simple.

Yeah, Mexican midgets get old fast.

I prefer the pale ones myself.
#6CronoDynePosted 8/20/2013 1:15:43 AM
If you like slice of life anime, turnbased RPGs, item synthesis, and lite social sims, you'll like this series.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#7Hyroglyphixs(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 1:28:20 AM
Hm, maybe I'll check it out in the future then. There are a ton of good games that I have yet to play.
#8CynicalNaivetePosted 8/20/2013 1:39:07 AM
They're pretty much nothing like Tales or Final Fantasy. I think the comparison to "Harvest Moon with turn-based combat" is pretty apt. I get the same laid back relaxing feeling from both titles. If it weren't for the time constraints, the Atelier games would really have no sense of urgency at all.

If you're looking for a deep story or satisfying combat, look elsewhere. Atelier is more character driven, centering around a plucky, young protagonist who tends to blunder from one mishap to the next while dragging members of the supporting cast into their messes or vice versa.
#9AlltraPosted 8/20/2013 1:53:45 AM(edited)
I liked Atelier Iris on the PS2.

That's pretty much the only one I liked though, and even that one wasn't without some issues that the rest of the series tends to share as well. I dunno, they're kinda nitpicky issues, but they still drive me {Bleeping} crazy and annoy the goddamn hell out of me enough that it ruins my enjoyment of the games.

For example:

One of the biggest things that grinds my gears with these games is a recurring issue in many games. I absolutely hate how they encourage you to experiment and create "The Best" items using various ingredients, but then severely limit your access to ingredients. You never want to experiment because you're afraid you'll run out of an ingredient that you might need later for something, which makes the system fall the {Bleep} apart. Hell, a lot of the times you're actually forced to choose between two items, and you can't get the other one, because one of the key ingredients you only ever get one of in the entire game.
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#10vind3dPosted 8/20/2013 4:04:21 AM
I've played the first PS3 one, Rorona. It's a pretty quick playthru, about 20hrs iirc. There is a great cast of characters you meet along the way and can choose to add to your party. Rorona gets a bot she sends out to specific areas to help gather materials for crafting. Rorona's alchemy shop is going to be shut down by the government unless she can make it profitable.
---
SE may have another FF hit on their hands with FFX/X-2 HD. Perhaps the biggest FF since, well, FFX. :p