This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how do you see paid dlc?

#1shadowcat2164Posted 8/20/2013 10:10:02 PM
I am getting ready to play mass effect 3 and I went to check out the dlc just to see whats there and was surprised there are 4 story dlc packs which cost $15, $15, $10, and $10 for a grand total of $50 dollars. I Get really annoyed by dlc like this where the dlc makes the true full experience of the game cost $110 dollars.

I like the free dlc of course and I really dont mind paying for unplanned dlc where developers listen to complaints and request and add something not planned like a old fan favorite character, or new maps and modes for highly active online games. But am I the only one who is getting really annoyed by devs making paid dlc while they are making the game and expect their customers to buy a 60 dollar game plus a season pass or multiple dlc packs just to get what should have been in the main game originally?
#2DSKEmmanuelPosted 8/20/2013 10:19:43 PM
I see it as an investment that ensures my enjoyable game title a bit more length and content.
---
PSN-DSKEmilio and GamerTag-DSKEmmanuel
my LBP2 levels~ http://lbp.me/u/DSKEmilio/levels
#3Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 8/20/2013 10:35:03 PM
Same as above. If you love the game a lot it's a godsend and you get no material, items, story even to explore and enjoy. If it is a ho hum 70% average game in your opinion than it's complete a waste of time to even peruse the store. I actually quit going into the DLC add-on section about 5 months ago because I realized I was never interested in anything in there. Now the only time I buy DLC is after I beat the game and want more which is still pretty rare when I look at the prices. Also good things come to those that wait and usually a Legendary Edition comes out that has all the DLC bundled for the price of the original or less (Skyrim, Deus Ex Director's Cut, etc).
#4gamefaqwatcherPosted 8/21/2013 12:11:05 AM
Base game is usually enough. I did buy into the borderlands 1 dlc long ago. The 3rd and 4th. Mainly because of level caps, more areas and different loot (think they introduced light blue). Only game where i thought the dlc was priced at a reasonable price for what it contained. Own the 2nd game but haven't bothered. They jumped into dlc mode form the get go. May pick up the GOTY / full content version if they ever release one. Get it cheaper and it would most likely be on disc to install.

There's a lot of BS dlc which i'd pass on. Everyone praised FO3's but it sitting with borderlands. Only had 2/5 good ones. Ignoring unplayability, level cap one (introduced some wild open world encounters) and point lookout. The others were disappointing. Snow one was alright but only because of the stealth suit and invincible armour.

While i'm at it with bethesda..i didn't get around to skyrim dlc. Was nice seeing they patched in the new level system for everyone. May get around to dawnguard and dragonborn one day. The house one looks like a pure joke....

Then there's:
-Short cut dlc: Won't buy into it, never will. Not a fan of B2W mmos or similar in competitive multiplayer.

-cosmetic looks(?): Basically costume packs, weapon skins, etc. Same story, don't see how it's going to enhance my personal gameplay experience. Whilst playing i'd probably feel stupid for buying it while i look at my character.

Can't think of anything else but i'd throw a few game names up there which would attract flame so i won't bother.
---
You're the hero Gamefaqs deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
#5Battleship_GrayPosted 8/21/2013 12:17:40 AM
DSKEmmanuel posted...
I see it as an investment that ensures my enjoyable game title a bit more length and content.

---
http://e-carpenter.tumblr.com/
PSN/XBL: Citizen Soldat
#6Scene13Posted 8/21/2013 8:05:31 AM
shadowcat2164 posted...
I like the free dlc of course and I really dont mind paying for unplanned dlc where developers listen to complaints and request and add something not planned like a old fan favorite character, or new maps and modes for highly active online games. But am I the only one who is getting really annoyed by devs making paid dlc while they are making the game and expect their customers to buy a 60 dollar game plus a season pass or multiple dlc packs just to get what should have been in the main game originally?

Hehe... wut. Only one ME3 DLC made during the same time as the base game. The rest came months after.

Mass Effect 3 - March 6, 2012
From Ashes - March 6, 2012
Leviathan - August 28, 2012
Omega - November 27, 2012
Citadel - March 5, 2013

And it's funny you mention a few things like this.
"where developers listen to complaints" Like the free Extended Cut DLC?

*Sorry for double posting, stupid PS3 character limit*
---
"Coming later today: water is exceptionally wet in all scenarios."
"Dark Space is where Reapers go when they're not reaping."
#7Scene13Posted 8/21/2013 8:12:57 AM
"like a old fan favorite character" Like the Citadel DLC that came out a year later?
"new maps for highly active online games" Like all 5 FREE multiplayer packs with new weapons, maps and characters?

So how do I see paid DLC? I see it as something the adds more to a game, and I'm perfectly fine with paying for add-ons for a game I like to support the developers. I'd rather buy the DLC for things like the Mass Effect series, The Elder Scrolls, GTA4 over map packs for CoD any day.
---
"Coming later today: water is exceptionally wet in all scenarios."
"Dark Space is where Reapers go when they're not reaping."
#8DarkSymbiotePosted 8/21/2013 8:13:20 AM
I don't pay for it.
---
"Also I am NOT PROVIDING LINKS that would take FOREVER so I WRITE DOWN THAT INFO INSTEAD." - whatnow12012
#9Lazy JonesPosted 8/21/2013 8:15:54 AM
I like the idea of DLC. I don't often buy it, but if I'm loving a game I have no problem shelling out a few more bucks for some more game to play. If I'm not that excited about the game I don't buy any DLC. It's that easy for me. I happy to have the option.
---
>: |
#10Godly_GoofPosted 8/21/2013 8:17:57 AM
If it's cost effective for what it is then I'll buy it. Or if it's something I simply want.

If it's not then I wont, thats pretty much it in my books.
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.