This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pick my next RPG (Try not to be console biased)

#1DarthFrozanousPosted 8/20/2013 10:10:22 PM
Which should I play next - Results (120 votes)
Ni No Kuni (PS3)
22.5% (27 votes)
Dragon Quest 4( DS)
4.17% (5 votes)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS)
1.67% (2 votes)
Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS)
15.83% (19 votes)
Demon Souls (PS3)
17.5% (21 votes)
Star Ocean 2 (PSP)
11.67% (14 votes)
Earthbound (Wii U)
8.33% (10 votes)
Radiant Historia (DS)
7.5% (9 votes)
To the Moon (PC)
3.33% (4 votes)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U)
7.5% (9 votes)
This poll is now closed.
So its time for me to play my next rpg I chose the PS3 board because I feel there are a lot of RPG fans on here please try not to have a console bias as I like all consoles and have most of them. Help me choose my next entry. PS3 board helped me and the last game you chose for me Tales of Graces f was certainly excellent.

My most recent games I beat are (in this order)

Tales of Graces f (PS3)
Luigi's Mansion DM (3DS)
Precipice of Darkness 3 (PC)

I'll attach my backloggery if you see something else I should play
http://www.backloggery.com/freezekitty

These are the games I've beaten this year:

Kingdom Hearts DDD
Luigi's Mansion - Dark Moon
Tales of the Abyss
Final Fantasy 13-2
Tales of Graces f
Assassin's Creed II
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Batman: Arkham City GOTY
Bioshock 1
Breath of Death VII
Chrono Cross
Cthulhu Saves the World
Dark Souls
Dishonored
Precipice of Darkness 3
The Secret of Monkey Island
Sleeping Dogs
Star Wars: KOTOR
Star Wars: KOTOR 2
Ys: Oath in Felghana
The Last Story

Thanks for your opinions :)
---
i5-3570k 3.4ghz | HiS 7950 BOOST 3GB | OCZ 256GB SSD / 18 GB RAM | 2 TB Barracuda | 750GB Hitachi | P8B75-V | Blackwidow Ultimate
Wii U, PS3, 3DS PC | GameFAQS
#2TheWaitingPosted 8/20/2013 10:20:54 PM
I voted shin megami but if you might take a recommendation and have a decent pc give the witcher a shot. Just started it myself and it rules.
---
GAMERTAG:SollessWarrior
#3MwulfPosted 8/20/2013 10:32:53 PM
I won't vote for any one game. Rather, I'll just post my impressions of each. These games you're mentioning are really too varied to really sort into a valid ranking.

Ni No Kuni (PS3)
A very (intentionally) mediocre RPG with a lot of handholding, it's mostly notable for it's pretty visuals.

Dragon Quest 4( DS)
A gimped remake; Square-Enix didn't bother to translate any of the party dialog, so after the intro chapters the game takes a real nosedive. The remakes of V and VI are absolutely fantastic, so I'd recommend either of those instead. DQVI is, IMHO, the single best RPG on the DS.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS)
A very, very, very dated dungeon crawler. Only get this if you're a big fan of both first-person dungeon crawlers -AND- MegaTen games. If not, avoid at all costs.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 (3DS)
A really good game, all around. The difficulty curve is obscene, though--you'll find your party wiped out before you get a chance to act in the tutorial, but an hour later and things are really easy. Difficulty is constantly spiking and leveling off, so if you get frustrated with that kind of thing, avoid it. If you can tolerate it, SMT4 is probably the best RPG on the 3DS next to Etrian Odyssey IV and Tales of the Abyss (both of which I also recommend).

Demon Souls (PS3)
Pretty fantastic, brutal and frustrating. Dark Souls is far superior to the point that I wouldn't recommend playing Demons Souls at all, mostly due to vastly improved level/area design.

Star Ocean 2 (PSP)
A fantastic remake of a classic game. If you've got a PSP and can find the UMD, definitely give it a shot while you can. It's been years, and I'm still upset Square-Enix hasn't put the PSP Star Ocean remakes on the PSN so I can play them again.

Earthbound (Wii U)
A cult classic for a reason. If you have a WiiU, play it. It's quirky and creepy and crazy and fun. Easily one of the SNES greats. If you haven't played it yet, it should definitely be a priority. Easily one of the genre's classics.

Radiant Historia (DS)
Very overrated. The game is played very straight and has some interesting narrative mechanics at play, but has some serious problems in execution that were--in my case--game-breaking. Basically, you move between different timelines to change future outcomes, get past obstacles, etc. I found early on that there'd be some serious problems with characters knowing about and/or reacting to events/actions from different timelines that they shouldn't be aware of in the first place, which really broke the experience for me. If the game designers weren't paying close enough attention to the game to avoid that kind of thing, why should I pay close attention to it as a gamer?

To the Moon (PC)
Not really an RPG,more of an experience. It's very "artsy" and "beautiful," but short and lacking in content. It's a must buy... but only when on-sale for 75% off or more, if not, it's a must-avoid.

Also not really an RPG. It's not really a big improvement over other MonHan games, and suffers from a lot of the same flaws that have plagued the series. You need to be willing to play online and be very, very patient to get any enjoyment from the game--does spending 20 minutes repeating the same 30 seconds of gameplay over and over again sound mind-numbingly boring? If it does, you'll learn to really hate Monster Hunter. If you have the patience and perseverance for that kind of thing, however, it can be quite rewarding.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#4DarthFrozanous(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 10:46:38 PM
@ Wulf thanks for your insights!
---
i5-3570k 3.4ghz | HiS 7950 BOOST 3GB | OCZ 256GB SSD / 18 GB RAM | 2 TB Barracuda | 750GB Hitachi | P8B75-V | Blackwidow Ultimate
Wii U, PS3, 3DS PC | GameFAQS
#5CynicalNaivetePosted 8/20/2013 10:49:44 PM(edited)
Voted for Star Ocean 2. It's the second oldest game on your list and it's about time you played it!

The second Star Ocean is my favorite in the series. The original was too short and shallow in comparison (even the remake) and 3 and 4 are a step backwards in most ways except graphics and combat. Especially 4. Avoid it like the plague. 3 is still pretty decent, though. I'd recommend giving it a shot some time in the future, too.
#6likematchesPosted 8/20/2013 11:00:43 PM
Mwulf posted...
Also not really an RPG. It's not really a big improvement over other MonHan games, and suffers from a lot of the same flaws that have plagued the series. You need to be willing to play online and be very, very patient to get any enjoyment from the game--does spending 20 minutes repeating the same 30 seconds of gameplay over and over again sound mind-numbingly boring? If it does, you'll learn to really hate Monster Hunter. If you have the patience and perseverance for that kind of thing, however, it can be quite rewarding.

What in monster hunter only lasts 30 seconds and who only plays for 20 minutes at a time? And since when do you need to repeat content?

OP:
You will be spending about 10-30 minutes per fight with a group (20-50 solo). Most every mission you go on entails a giant bossfight and not much else.

Your gear is crafted by gathering ore and killing monsters for parts. Getting new gear lets you kill new monsters.

There is not any need to repeat content any more than you don't want to and no way in hell are you going to get away with completing ANYTHING in 30 seconds.
#7XWolfOPosted 8/20/2013 11:02:52 PM
Play Earthbound, especially if you've never played it. It's a classic that I think every RPG fan should play at least once.
---
Don't hesitate. When the time comes, just act.
#8lambchipsPosted 8/20/2013 11:07:25 PM
for MH3

It doesnt take more than 8mins to kill something with a party once you get to end game...
My friends and I can usually kill G rank monsters within 6mins of discovery (but then again we trap, slime and bomb spam)
^ most of the time we forget theres even a dodge button because thats how broken the game is with 4 players
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#9likematchesPosted 8/20/2013 11:09:26 PM
lambchips posted...
for MH3

It doesnt take more than 8mins to kill something with a party once you get to end game...
My friends and I can usually kill G rank monsters within 6mins of discovery (but then again we trap, slime and bomb spam)
^ most of the time we forget theres even a dodge button because thats how broken the game is with 4 players

I see you are using the MHTri method for attacking Deviljho.
#10StarBladeEdgePosted 8/20/2013 11:29:57 PM
play ni no kuni , it has trophies boing !!!!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI