This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pick my next RPG (Try not to be console biased)

#11badboyPosted 8/21/2013 1:01:49 AM
Dragon Quest 4 easily.
#12Willie_MakeitPosted 8/21/2013 1:01:52 AM
Anything fom Atlus is good. Try SMTIV or Devil Survivor Overclocked. Those are 2 of my favorites from this gen.
---
Sig.
#13TehAssasinPosted 8/21/2013 1:35:28 AM
Radiant Historia is overrated? I barely see much people talking about it from time to time. If anything, It's an overlooked gem that is flawed, but still really great RPG nonetheless.
---
We live in a world where Time and Eternity gets a release outside of Japan and Final Fantasy Type-0 doesn't.
#14deathsaber79Posted 8/21/2013 6:50:02 AM
My opinion on some games mentioned (that I've played)

Demon's Souls- I actually found this quite good (and like you I played Dark Souls first). The differences between teh games are quite interesting- think Dark Souls is more "punishing", however Demon's Souls gives much less opportunity to save and level up- both are high quality games, and if you know you want more "Souls" gaming, Demon's Souls is basically every bit as good as Dark Souls.

Ni No Kuni- solid, old fashioned JPRG, with outstanding graphics/art design. Is the story/gameplay simple and nothing special, mostly just adequate? Yeah, but it gave me that warm and fuzzy jrpg feel all the same, and its nice to play something a little bit "lighter" than many of the super serious overdramatic games out there. I liked it mostly because this console gen really lacks JRPGS with AAA production values, and this is one of the few out there not called Final Fantasy that do.

Earthbound- a classic- however its also very much a typical 90s jrpg that is about 80% grind, 20% story, so be ready.

Radiant Historia- a totally solid DS JRPG - it does some very interesting things involving jumping around time/alternative futures, etc. - a big part is arriving at very bad and twisted early endings, and then making other choices to correct it. Not a game with a ton of popularity, but a very solid game, nonetheless.

The SMT games you mentioned- SMT 4 is worth a look as the most "modern" entry- the older games I'd skip, unless you really like punishing dungeoncrawl jrpgs.
#15SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/21/2013 6:57:16 AM
I picked DeS because they will pull the plug on the servers at some point.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#16nonexistingheroPosted 8/21/2013 7:08:01 AM
I voted for Demon's Souls

Games you lack on your list (dunno why, maybe you've beaten them already):
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride. Has the best storyline out of the DQ games I've played. And the marriage aspect is neat.

Xenoblade Chronicles: I have no idea why this game is missing on your list. It's a must-play. I suppose it is rather expensive, but it's worth every penny.

Final Fantasy IV DS: It's a bit older already, but I noticed you have those on your list as well. If you haven't played this, do it. Great voice acting and it's pretty challenging as well.

Tales of Vesperia: The best Tales of game, IMO. Not the best battle system, but still a great one. And it has an expansive world map along with a ton of sidequests.

Blue Dragon: Not that great of a story, but a beautiful game to look at. The water still makes my jaw drop, that's how pretty the water is (well, not all water. But a couple of sections in the game that have water, including most of the world map). It's too easy on the normal mode (like it was made for a 3 year old), but the hard mode is very challenging. So I suggest to download it (it's free) and play that.

Lost Odyssey: It's rather slow and has long loading times, but aside from that, it's pretty much a classic Final Fantasy game. It's decently challenging, though not as much as Blue Dragon on hard. The secret hidden boss is hard though.

Resonance of Fate: Unique and very strategic RPG. Seems to be a bit hit & miss, but no doubt it has one of the greatest combat systems ever made in an RPG.

Ys Seven: Came out earlier than Oath in Felghana. I actually liked this one more, due to more versatibility.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#17MwulfPosted 8/21/2013 8:35:57 AM
likematches posted...
What in monster hunter only lasts 30 seconds and who only plays for 20 minutes at a time? And since when do you need to repeat content?

OP:
You will be spending about 10-30 minutes per fight with a group (20-50 solo). Most every mission you go on entails a giant bossfight and not much else.

Your gear is crafted by gathering ore and killing monsters for parts. Getting new gear lets you kill new monsters.

There is not any need to repeat content any more than you don't want to and no way in hell are you going to get away with completing ANYTHING in 30 seconds.

You really misunderstood. Giant boss fights consist of repeating the same 30 seconds or so of gameplay over and over--attack, attack, dodge, or some variation therein. These monsters have overinflated health values (ostensibly to accommodate multiplayer and provide an illusion of difficulty) and very simple attack patterns. Boss fights entail repeating the same combat patters over and over for 20 minutes average.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#18nonexistingheroPosted 8/21/2013 9:01:52 AM
I do have to agree about overinflated health values of MH bosses. Part of why I don't like the games that much is exactly because of those endlessly long and very repetitive boss battles. I don't mind a long boss battle, but it's annoying if he runs to another area for over a dozen of times.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#19SignusZerielPosted 8/21/2013 9:02:30 AM
Almost all of those at some point. Skip NNK.
---
GameFak - Power to the trolls, the asses, and the posers.
#20DarthFrozanous(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 11:41:42 AM
some great responses now i have at least some top contenders. If any1 wants to add more please do :)
---
i5-3570k 3.4ghz | HiS 7950 BOOST 3GB | OCZ 256GB SSD / 18 GB RAM | 2 TB Barracuda | 750GB Hitachi | P8B75-V | Blackwidow Ultimate
Wii U, PS3, 3DS PC | GameFAQS