This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the Greatest Third Person Shooter of all-time?

#11KneeSIappingtonPosted 8/23/2013 7:07:07 PM(edited)
RE4 is one of the most ridiculously overrated games in existence. Even ignoring how it completely threw horror out the window to become a casualized third person shooter for profit, it still doesn't even compare to modern third person shooter games.

I especially don't see how people think it's "revolutionary". The over the shoulder aiming system already existed before RE4 came along (2003's Manhunt is an example), and QTEs have been around longer than most people think (Dragon's Lair being an example).

Not only that, but the scenery is incredibly washed out, dull, and boring. Just too much brown and gray. The castle was okay at first in the beginning (even if there was too much earth toned color scheme), but after that the environments get repetitive and uninspired.

Sure, it may have been a big deal when it came out, but TPS games have advanced and RE4 just feels too dated.
---
Stealing IP addresses since 2011.
#12DelRowePosted 8/23/2013 7:07:55 PM
TLoU is the best game on that list, but I don't classify it as a 3rd person shooter.
---
You are not in control.
#13SolidKnightPosted 8/23/2013 7:10:29 PM
It's SOCOM 2 as far as Sony platforms go.
#14enigma2274Posted 8/23/2013 7:11:30 PM
I like Uncharted 2 as much as the next guy, but to say it's a better TPS than Vanquish is just criminal.
---
---
PS3: Lost Planet, Splinter Cell Blacklist WiiU: Zombiu, Pikmen 3
#15PogothemunkyPosted 8/23/2013 7:14:06 PM
SOCOM II without a doubt.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#16lebronwadebosh(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 7:15:52 PM
KneeSIappington posted...
RE4 is one of the most ridiculously overrated games in existence. Even ignoring how it completely threw horror out the window to become a casualized third person shooter for profit, it still doesn't even compare to modern third person shooter games.

I especially don't see how people think it's "revolutionary". The over the shoulder aiming system already existed before RE4 came along (2003's Manhunt is an example), and QTEs have been around longer than most people think (Dragon's Lair being an example).

Not only that, but the scenery is incredibly washed out, dull, and boring. Just too much brown and gray. The castle was okay at first in the beginning (even if there was too much earth toned color scheme), but after that the environments get repetitive and uninspired.

Sure, it may have been a big deal when it came out, but TPS games have advanced and RE4 just feels too dated.

it popularized that over the shoulder aiming
---
"When a man with a sing-song voice tells me to f*** off, it always concerns me, boyo."
#17KneeSIappingtonPosted 8/23/2013 7:18:28 PM
It may have popularized it, but it didn't exactly invent it either. I also think it's completely irrelevant because Resident Evil was never intended to be a third person shooter. I'm all for change and new ideas, but there's a fine line between bringing in loads of fresh ideas while preversing the premise of the series and going full blown shooting gallery fest in order to chase after sales.
---
Stealing IP addresses since 2011.
#18OEIO999Posted 8/23/2013 7:43:09 PM
It's a toss up between Mass Effect 2, Resident Evil 4 or Uncharted 2. Although for me personally, it'd be RE4.
#19link0316Posted 8/23/2013 7:51:31 PM
RE4 easily, imo.
#20riddlebox89Posted 8/23/2013 7:52:33 PM
KneeSIappington posted...
It may have popularized it, but it didn't exactly invent it either. I also think it's completely irrelevant because Resident Evil was never intended to be a third person shooter.

So the franchise that gave you more than enough ammo to kill everything at least once, maybe twice, which says it has elements of being a shooter...wasn't supposed to be a shooter at all?

And who the hell are you to say that it was never supposed to be something? I'm sorry to break this to you kiddo, but you don't get to decide what a franchise is and what it's not, that's up to the developers, if they want to make it more shootery, then hey, can't do a damn thing to stop them.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.