This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Weird HDD Problem

#1shadow45850Posted 8/23/2013 7:43:09 PM
Now, I know this is a rather common problem but I feel like this one may be rather different.

It all started when my cousin's hdd got corrupted. XMB loading and movement was very slow, etc.
After turning ps3 back on it wouldn't load up at all, unfortunately lost all of his saves as we were unable to salvage anything even via a professional data recovery program.

So I figured rather than reformat the tiny thing, why not just pick up a cheap 250gb HDD for him.

So I did that, popped it in, PS3 asked for firmware on game disc or usb stick, as it does.
Formatted HDD, started installing firmware, then it gets to 99% and stops.
Now I've looked this up about 30 times and it seems like it's either a HDD problem or a reset switch problem.

Now here's the kicker. Not only does this HDD work in MY ps3, but not his; but his old HDD works fine in his after a format.

So if we're following direct logic here it means that it's not a HDD problem as it works fine in mine, and it's not a reset switch problem as the other HDD works fine in his.

So what I'm trying to say is

wat

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

tl;dr version:

Installing new HDD.
Update gets to 99% and stops.
Works fine in different PS3
Other HDD works fine in original PS3.
wat.
help.
thanks.

---
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.
#2weskers errand boyPosted 8/23/2013 7:48:52 PM
Where does it hang up? During the backup utility to restore the status of the HD, or during the initial format of the HD?

If it's during the backup utility you might have a bum external HD.
---
RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012
"Hello, are you sane? Are you a sane caller?" "Yes. Killer bees."
#3shadow45850(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 8:02:19 PM
This is an internal, not an external HDD.

It goes through the format just fine. Gets to the part where it wants to reinstall the current firmware (not sure why it feels the need to do that but yeah)

Goes fine and then just stays at 99% forever.

The HDD works fine in a different ps3, and a different HDD works fine in the original. So I guess it just doesn't like the HDD? I'm really at a loss at this point.
---
#4weskers errand boyPosted 8/23/2013 8:14:27 PM
When I said the external HD I was referring to the backup utility process, which requires one. I understand that the PS3 Hd is internal.

I just went through an upgrade the other day so the process is pretty fresh in my mind. I used the backup utility (which requires an external HD) and as far as I'm aware it didn't re-update the firmware. So maybe if you try that it will bypass the update procedure and you won't get stuck. So Idk what process you're doing with this but try using the backup utility (with an already current firmware).

The process can be found in this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNSytaL9hnI
---
RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012
"Hello, are you sane? Are you a sane caller?" "Yes. Killer bees."
#5grumpysmurf011Posted 8/23/2013 8:14:41 PM
shadow45850 posted...
This is an internal, not an external HDD.

It goes through the format just fine. Gets to the part where it wants to reinstall the current firmware (not sure why it feels the need to do that but yeah)

Goes fine and then just stays at 99% forever.

The HDD works fine in a different ps3, and a different HDD works fine in the original. So I guess it just doesn't like the HDD? I'm really at a loss at this point.

how long is forever, exactly? you might just need to be more patient with it.
#6shadow45850(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 9:47:01 PM(edited)

I've left it at 99% for about 30 minutes. After that I became too impatient and started experimenting.

I just went through an upgrade the other day so the process is pretty fresh in my mind. I used the backup utility (which requires an external HD) and as far as I'm aware it didn't re-update the firmware. So maybe if you try that it will bypass the update procedure and you won't get stuck. So Idk what process you're doing with this but try using the backup utility (with an already current firmware).

From what I hear only certain PS3 models do the update after HDD swap.
My ps3 doesn't do it, my cousin's does.

Come to think of it, I guess that's why it's working on my PS3 and not my cousin's.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to bypass this.

Currently I'm scanning the disk for bad sectors among other things on my PC.
I'll try waiting it out after this finishes. Looks like it might take a long time though.
Edit:
Just noticed in the program that I'm using that every once in a while it will show that it has found around 40~50 bad sectors, and then the number will go back to 0. Sounds to me like it's riddled with bad sectors.

Would it finding bad sectors and then the number returning to 0 mean that it's fixing them? Well, either way it says it will take around 900 hours to complete.

Hoping the bad sectors are what's causing it to go so slowly, and that once they are gone it will finish relatively quicker...

Though, this seems like a bad sign...Should I just get a refund/replacement? Seems to me that even if this works it will probably crap out on me. Or I might be wrong, not sure how bad sectors/etc work.

Using Easeus Partition Manager Pro btw
---
#7shadow45850(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2013 8:55:00 AM
So now I've woken up after letting it do it's surface test thing for about 9 more hours.

and apparantly it's been not responding for about 8.

Been stuck on 2hrs 46 minutes elapsed time for a long while.

Not sure if it's actually still doing it's thing or if the HDD is just toast.
---
#8PlaysaverPosted 8/24/2013 10:59:15 AM
shadow45850 posted...
So now I've woken up after letting it do it's surface test thing for about 9 more hours.

and apparantly it's been not responding for about 8.

Been stuck on 2hrs 46 minutes elapsed time for a long while.

Not sure if it's actually still doing it's thing or if the HDD is just toast.

Maybe the hard drive is going to sleep. Check that hard drives site and see if you can find a program that will disable it from auto sleeping.
#9superlativeformPosted 8/24/2013 11:33:26 AM
shadow45850 posted...

I've left it at 99% for about 30 minutes. After that I became too impatient and started experimenting.

From what I hear only certain PS3 models do the update after HDD swap.
My ps3 doesn't do it, my cousin's does.

Come to think of it, I guess that's why it's working on my PS3 and not my cousin's.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to bypass this.

Currently I'm scanning the disk for bad sectors among other things on my PC.
I'll try waiting it out after this finishes. Looks like it might take a long time though.
Edit:
Just noticed in the program that I'm using that every once in a while it will show that it has found around 40~50 bad sectors, and then the number will go back to 0. Sounds to me like it's riddled with bad sectors.

Would it finding bad sectors and then the number returning to 0 mean that it's fixing them? Well, either way it says it will take around 900 hours to complete.

Hoping the bad sectors are what's causing it to go so slowly, and that once they are gone it will finish relatively quicker...

Though, this seems like a bad sign...Should I just get a refund/replacement? Seems to me that even if this works it will probably crap out on me. Or I might be wrong, not sure how bad sectors/etc work.

Using Easeus Partition Manager Pro btw

To clarify your question on bad sectors. In general, sectors are a unit of information (512 bytes). There are two kinds of bad sectors, hard and soft. Hard are caused by physical damage or becoming magnetically fixed. These are unrepairable. Soft bad sectors are when something called an Error Correction Code (ECC) doesn't match the contents of the hard drive. These can be repaired by overwriting the data on the drive with 0s.

Okay so on to making this information useful. Run the check disk program on said drive. Next you will need to find the log of the check disk. Which should be in the event viewer under Windows logs under application (if you sort it by source it should be under chkdisk or something similar). Look at the log, if any errors are bigger than 0kb, these are hard errors and the disk is failing. If there are small errors i.e. 0kb these are most likely soft errors and a full format (not quick) should eliminate these errors.

I hope that helps