This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"JRPG" and "WRPG"

#11Devilman_AmonPosted 8/28/2013 1:58:56 AM
Mr_Hakubi posted...

JRPGs tend to be more colorful, have simple storys, and worst gameplay. But they have better music, characters (in personality and design) and the atmosphere always seems inspired.

pffft.....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#12GigerSupremePosted 8/28/2013 2:41:47 AM
ill play either.

i have no true preference, but honestly... i have yet to play a wrpg that i loved.

they all kinda leave me feeling "meh".

survival horror and beatem ups are my absolute favorite genres.
#13GigerSupremePosted 8/28/2013 2:43:14 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Mr_Hakubi posted...

JRPGs tend to be more colorful, have simple storys, and worst gameplay. But they have better music, characters (in personality and design) and the atmosphere always seems inspired.

pffft.....

i find jrpgs to be way more polished and balanced compared to wrpgs which are usually filled with game breaking exploits you can take advantage of (bioware... im looking at you)
#14AnonUnknownPosted 8/28/2013 3:25:10 AM
MrSmadSmartAlex posted...
inb4 thisranks posts another tearful rant about "regionally challenged" people.
#15jammiesPosted 8/28/2013 3:26:27 AM
I've seen some people say Dragon's Dogma is a WRPG because of how it plays. The game it plays most like is Monster Hunter though, and some of those games don't even get western releases. Confusing.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#16PhophenomenonPosted 8/28/2013 4:04:44 AM
So let me ask you something Mr. Kabuki, Tales of Graces f has a worse battle system than Skyrim?
---
Playing Tales of Xillia!
PSN ID: Phophenomenon
#17SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/28/2013 5:56:59 AM(edited)
Obviously where the game is made.

First off, the term clearly refers to region. Secondly, there have been clearly defined subgenre names before that.

Thirdly, and very annoyingly, people who use these as subgenres refer to one very specific subgenre as a JRPG(which would be ok...), but they use WRPG as a blanket term to describe multiple subgenres.

So even when they it refers to how it plays, they only apply that to JRPG, while they in fact don't use WRPG to describe how the game plays at all, except that it is different from JRPGs.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#18SignusZerielPosted 8/28/2013 7:04:18 AM
KittyPuppy posted...
These terms need to die fast so people can go back to using real sub genre names and actually know what they are talking about.

This.

If people can't even get it straight as to what defines a "J" or "W" RPG, they don't deserve to be subgenres at all.

Nor do they make any modicum of sense. We don't call Disgaea games JSRPGs.
---
GameFak - Power to the trolls, the asses, and the posers.
#19ElDudorinoPosted 8/28/2013 10:35:20 AM
Well, when it comes down to it, I think that genre is a concept that's only ever worked some of the time. Like, "Racing" or "FPS" as a genre gives you a pretty clear idea of how a game will play, and you can expand on that by saying "Kart racer" or "FPS with RPG and stealth elements" and people start to form a mental picture that isn't too different from what you're describing. But if you're talking about RPGs, be they J or W, there's an absolutely massive difference in the way you play Chrono Trigger versus Suikoden 3. They share in common the fact that they're both heavily story-driven, both can be finished in multiple ways, both have an experience level system and magic... but the actual meat of one game has almost nothing to do with the other.

I don't even know how you'd divide those up into sub-genres. One has random encounters, trainable passive-only skills with equippable active abilities, very slight emphasis on building compatible parties, no overworld, and minor strategy elements at times, while the other has mostly avoidable battles, only has learned active skills with no passives and no equippable skills except for triple-tech stones, heavily emphasizes building your party around shared abilities, and HAS an overworld. One has a story that's more personal and never feels particularly grand in scale yet involves itself with politics and shaping the future of a nation, while the other is a straightforward "Let's save the world" kinda story with very few twists to be expected.

If a genre existed specifically for games like Chrono Trigger and another existed for Suikoden 3, you'd have nowhere to fit Breath of Fire 3, Grandia, Wild Arms, etc. A lot of people think of SRPG as a fairly descriptive name but it's pretty inaccurate to lump Fire Emblem, Rondo of Swords and Disgaea together.

I think people just kinda label everything as an RPG because it's so hard to pin down and categorize most RPGs. Then you get arguments about whether Zelda, or Quest For Glory, or Azure Dreams is an RPG and it's all pretty silly when you think about the fact that the term "RPG" itself is just a bastardization of the concept of ACTUAL role-playing experiences around a tabletop.

Anyway. In that light, I guess JRPG and WRPG are about as useful as any other made-up "genre" name. The fact is, an RPG being Japanese DOES mean I'm less likely to enjoy it nowadays, as I'm one of those guys who feels that the Japanese for the most part lost their ability to make good games around the start of this generation. I do not include Dragon's Dogma in this, though, as I've put way too many hours into that game. Love that game.