This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EA COO Peter Moore: "We don't deliver offline experiences anymore."

#1Paragon-57Posted 8/26/2013 10:59:32 AM
Electronic Arts is banking on free-to-play in a big way. Speaking with Engadget at Gamescom over the weekend, EA COO Peter Moore said the publisher's goal is to let players interact with their franchises no matter where they are, what they're doing, or how much money they have in their pocket.

Moore emphasized EA's existing free-to-play efforts with its most successful franchises, Battlefield and FIFA, but said the company is looking to expand it well beyond those two.

"The ability for you to be able to interact with those franchises on a free-to-play basis is going to be part-and-parcel with every major franchise we do now," Moore said.

"We don't ship a game at EA that is offline," Moore said. "It just doesn't happen. And gamers either want to be connected so their stats and achievements reflect who they are, or you want the full multiplayer experience on top of that. We don't deliver offline experiences anymore."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-26-free-to-play-coming-to-every-major-ea-franchise-moore

(Originally posted by shinobi602 on NeoGAF.)

I think Valve made a similar statement not too long ago.
---
P a r a g o n - 5 7 was here!
Hmm... Secret Board... http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/646330-paragon
#2PStrifePosted 8/26/2013 11:02:40 AM
So they don't want people's moneys long-term. Strange business philosophy, but okay.
#3LionheartCJPosted 8/26/2013 11:13:44 AM
It just doesn't happen. And gamers either want to be connected so their stats and achievements reflect who they are, or you want the full multiplayer experience on top of that

lol, no

Only EA games i've bought this gen is Dead Space and Skate 3, with this news i dont see that changing anytime soon
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkwiQmGWK4c - Oh Don Piaaaaaano
#4Boneca91Posted 8/26/2013 11:19:30 AM
LionheartCJ posted...
Skate 3

Oh god that game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_x_J70BLf8
---
PSN:GenkiMGP
#5LionheartCJPosted 8/26/2013 11:22:57 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6dr_zombergPosted 8/26/2013 11:25:31 AM
so they release MP only games.
they plan to keep servers running forever then? must have infinite money
---
GT: Titanic Toddler
PSN: KRISHANKO
#7gamestop27Posted 8/26/2013 11:27:27 AM
I don't buy any of EA's games, but I am getting sick of this notion that online needs to be in every muthaf***in' game.
---
I understand your attempts at humor, I simply do not find them entertaining.~Bladewolf
#8SilentS89Posted 8/26/2013 11:28:50 AM
No need to reconsider my EA boycott anytime soon.
#9dan77733Posted 8/26/2013 11:44:22 AM
gamestop27 posted...
I don't buy any of EA's games, but I am getting sick of this notion that online needs to be in every muthaf***in' game.

While I buy an EA game here and there, I 100% agree with the online part.
#10thisranksPosted 8/26/2013 11:45:28 AM
gamestop27 posted...

I think they also mean leader boards for SP games. Whoever is doing their marketing is a smart cookie. They understand what the effect competition has on most people. They also realize some people have to be number 1. Lastly they realize that some people no longer or never learned to play games for fun and enjoyment.

I agree this is a mistake as well but a lot of people love online and the rest of us will suffer for it. It's just the way the world works. They are simply taking advantage of the situation. If you could stand to make millions off it wouldn't you take advantage of it too?

Gaming has always been a gamble anyways. I can't hate EA for doing it when i know others would do the same.
---
Delusions are as necessary to happiness as realities.
Yuki Nagato, Mafuyu Oribe, Kurumu Korono, Yui Kotogawa, Kaori Kanzaki, and Himari Noihara FTW