This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sony hardware support trying to screw me...

#1avec_fromagePosted 8/27/2013 8:23:55 AM
PS3 bricked by 4.45 update. Manual update not possible because safe mode won't work. Shuts off immediately.

"You have to send it in. $99 plus tax.

Wow.

(For anyone curious why I'm bringing this up now, I had to leave on a trip and couldn't wait for the 4.46 update to be released then. Tried it now. Called Sony this morning.)
#2este914Posted 8/27/2013 8:46:05 AM
you should be able to download the update and install it from a flash drive. safe mode not required for that....
---
...::: este914 :::...
The One & Only!
#3LiquidAntagonisPosted 8/27/2013 9:15:58 AM
If you're interested, you can try this:

http://www.endlesselectronics.org/ps3_repair/ps3_repair/highlights.html

I haven't any experience with this particular service, so I don't know if they're reputable/reliable/worth your cash, but they seem like they offer a great service, and it's cheaper than what Sony's offering.

Only downside is that with Sony you're paying the people who made the console for an "official" repair, presumably under warranty, and therefore are more likely to get the repair that you're asking for, whereas with this third party service, that isn't affiliated with Sony, you don't really know whether or not they know what they're doing.

In other words, it just seems safer somehow to go with Sony because they're the people who manufacture the console rather than some random organization that may potentially botch the job.

Still, the service is cheaper, and their modifications seem interesting and worthy of review. Who knows, it might be the smartest investment you've made for your PS3 thus far.
---
>provides users with the ability to dispute a "moderation"
>list of reasons why every argument is "refutable" =_=
#4ElDudorinoPosted 8/27/2013 10:19:15 AM
$99? I thought it was $200. Or maybe that's just in Canada.

Sony support is horrible. The launch models had a common issue at one point where the hard disk would appear to crash and it would say it needed to reformat, then it would get to 99%, crash, and restart at 0% again. It would never fix itself. Sony's solution? Pay $200 and they'll fix it. Non-idiotic solution? Plug the hard disk into a PC. Reformat it there. Plug it back into the PS3. Start playing. Yeah, I had to do this for a friend.

Then there were the YLODs which Sony never really copped to. I don't know how many of the original 60gb models are still out there running but I'm sure it's only a few at this point.

After my 60gb got the YLOD I replaced it with a Slim. It came with a defective second USB port. I sent it in to Sony and it took two months to get it back because they screwed up the name on my file. I even called them 3 times to make sure that mistake was fixed and they still screwed everything up and I couldn't get my PS3 back for a good while- but that's not even where I was planning to go with this anecdote. Where I was going is that when my PS3 finally came back, there was a note saying that they couldn't find the problem and everything seemed fine. I guess my hand-written note and the note supposedly written on my file stating that the USB port on the right doesn't work weren't good enough!

Actually, back to the part where they screwed up my name, the outcome was that the deliveryperson wouldn't give me my PS3 back because the wrong name was on it, and they said Sony would have to call them to correct the name. I called Sony on the spot and after 20 minutes of discussion they told me there was no way they could make the phone call until their "expert" got in even though no specialized information was needed; Purolator literally just needed Sony to call and say it was okay to give me the package. Sony's expert phone caller didn't come in until several days later to make the phone call to Purolator and tell them "Yes, his name is Mike, not Leonardo" so I could get my stuff.

Bleh.
#5avec_fromage(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 6:38:52 AM
este914 posted...
you should be able to download the update and install it from a flash drive. safe mode not required for that....

That's what I'm trying. You need the menu that comes up with safe mode, but even if I hold the power it beeps three times right after it turns on and shuts off immediately.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#6avec_fromage(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 6:40:23 AM
LiquidAntagonis posted...
If you're interested, you can try this:

http://www.endlesselectronics.org/ps3_repair/ps3_repair/highlights.html

I haven't any experience with this particular service, so I don't know if they're reputable/reliable/worth your cash, but they seem like they offer a great service, and it's cheaper than what Sony's offering.

Only downside is that with Sony you're paying the people who made the console for an "official" repair, presumably under warranty, and therefore are more likely to get the repair that you're asking for, whereas with this third party service, that isn't affiliated with Sony, you don't really know whether or not they know what they're doing.

In other words, it just seems safer somehow to go with Sony because they're the people who manufacture the console rather than some random organization that may potentially botch the job.

Still, the service is cheaper, and their modifications seem interesting and worthy of review. Who knows, it might be the smartest investment you've made for your PS3 thus far.

Thanks. I was thinking about looking into something like this locally. I know a friend who had his Xbox repaired at an unofficial place.
---
#7avec_fromage(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2013 6:45:25 AM
ElDudorino posted...
$99? I thought it was $200. Or maybe that's just in Canada.

Sony support is horrible. The launch models had a common issue at one point where the hard disk would appear to crash and it would say it needed to reformat, then it would get to 99%, crash, and restart at 0% again. It would never fix itself. Sony's solution? Pay $200 and they'll fix it. Non-idiotic solution? Plug the hard disk into a PC. Reformat it there. Plug it back into the PS3. Start playing. Yeah, I had to do this for a friend.

Then there were the YLODs which Sony never really copped to. I don't know how many of the original 60gb models are still out there running but I'm sure it's only a few at this point.

After my 60gb got the YLOD I replaced it with a Slim. It came with a defective second USB port. I sent it in to Sony and it took two months to get it back because they screwed up the name on my file. I even called them 3 times to make sure that mistake was fixed and they still screwed everything up and I couldn't get my PS3 back for a good while- but that's not even where I was planning to go with this anecdote. Where I was going is that when my PS3 finally came back, there was a note saying that they couldn't find the problem and everything seemed fine. I guess my hand-written note and the note supposedly written on my file stating that the USB port on the right doesn't work weren't good enough!

Actually, back to the part where they screwed up my name, the outcome was that the deliveryperson wouldn't give me my PS3 back because the wrong name was on it, and they said Sony would have to call them to correct the name. I called Sony on the spot and after 20 minutes of discussion they told me there was no way they could make the phone call until their "expert" got in even though no specialized information was needed; Purolator literally just needed Sony to call and say it was okay to give me the package. Sony's expert phone caller didn't come in until several days later to make the phone call to Purolator and tell them "Yes, his name is Mike, not Leonardo" so I could get my stuff.

Bleh.

That's awful. The person I spoke to was mumbling the entire time and speaking incredibly fast. I was struggling to make out what they were saying when my phone was on speaker.

And I don't know how they expect me to pay when it was their own firmware update that caused the brick. I'm sure there are other people who downloaded the firmware update and their system would not let them boot into safe mode. I wonder if a class action law suit could be formed out of this.
---
#8ElDudorinoPosted 8/28/2013 7:23:28 AM
Unfortunately I think that firmware updates crashing the system is intermittent enough that people couldn't reliably demonstrate that that's what happened. Every firmware update maybe two or three peoples' systems get bricked but everybody else's is fine, and for those two or three people it's easy to say "That didn't happen to everybody else, so it must be something stupid you did or an unrelated problem that killed your system." And to be fair, it IS entirely possible that your system was about to die anyway and it's just a crazy coincidence that it died while or immediately after updating. It could actually be refusing to boot because something internal is fried. So, it would be a hard case to sell for any individual in the class action suit!

If Sony was going to cop to anything, it should have been the YLOD issue that ran rampant with the early models. By 2010 that issue had gotten HUGE and they refused to admit it. If they aren't going to admit to that, they almost certainly aren't going to admit that a bugged firmware update potentially crashed somebody's system. Even Microsoft had to take responsibility for the RROD but Sony refused to step up.

The service issues are the reason why I decided not to buy a PS4. I don't like the way they treat their customers, especially with that BS that went on a few years ago when they banned Linux users from going online even after they talked up Linux compatibility as a feature of the system. And the part where they went on record as saying said that being able to download and share PSN games with your friends is a feature but then later said that it's against the rules. Or the part where they took out Backwards Compatibility and actually stated that it had nothing to do with hardware costs and they only did it because they don't want people playing PS2 games instead of PS3 games because PS3 games make them money. Also, the XMB is absolute garbage (Why is it SO SLOW when it barely does anything?), the new PSN Store is extremely slow and I find it extremely obnoxious having to update my system every time I go online because they update like weekly. Weekly console updates are unacceptable, especially given that most of the updates don't change ANYTHING useful. Save the updates for when you actually have something to fix! Aaand finally, I grabbed a PSP and a Sony camera a few years back and learned that they both have huge battery drain issues even when they aren't being used, so if I don't use them for a week I have to re-charge them. Sony did not consider that a hardware flaw even though other handhelds and other cameras do NOT do that. Oh, and one last thing - Flash memory. Screw you, Sony. Being forced to use Sony Memory Stick for Sony products was always a pain since everything else conformed to the SD standard, and then when the Vita came out they said "Hey, you know those Sony Memory Sticks you've been collecting for your other Sony products? Yeah, forget using those with our new product - you have to use a VITA STICK." Ridiculous.

Wow, that last paragraph got long. I really, really don't like dealing with Sony.