This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hate to say this, but games are finally becoming boring for me

#1BearprintPosted 8/28/2013 4:14:07 AM
Over the past few years, the magic of video games have slowly, but steadily declined in my world. I really don't know why, but I have 4 theories of why this is the case:

a) The game industry has lost its creative spark. 95% of games published are absolutely generic, and especially Square-Enix, Blizzard and Capcom dropped the ball early this gen. Other companies too. Too many sequels and spin-offs and very few original games also have an effect.

b) I have played so many great games that I don't get impressed that easily anymore. When you have played Okami or Final Fantasy 6, the bar is set so high for future gaming experiences that when you play a game like Tomb Raider or Dishonored, you just don't get invested in the world emotionally, artistically or in any way. The characters especially become like paper when they should become friends or even thematic vessels you care deeply about.

c) The wrong games sell too much. The artistic games don't sell at all. Hence, I don't get artistic games. How can people say Uncharted 3 is an amazing game? It is just a dull blockbuster! Where is the gripping, existentialist story, the mature themes, the surprising moments? All we get is Indiana Jones when we could get a Platoon-like-story about a man struggling in extreme war conditions. Just a small example.

Also, I remember a recent poll here on Gamefaqs. 25% said that Tomb Raider was GOTY, while only a half percent(!) said that the GOTY should be given to Metro: LL, and Ni No Kuni had like 5% or something. Another example of which games sell, and keep in mind that I think the 2 last games are infinitely better than Tomb Raider which was pretty lackluster if you ask me.

d) I have matured. This is an option that I, although I have written it, have a very hard time of acknowledging. Some of the best and most mature art in the world, for example, is made out of video games like Okami. I have found other interests, but I should still be able to hold onto my games or what?

I don't know, I just have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that my "career" could be over soon. Maybe I should just wait a couple of years and buy a PS4 in 2017 or something.

Video games have meant everything to me. They are not just a fun medium or even art for me, they are part of my personal history as a human being. Words cannot describe how much I have loved them, and they will always have a special place in my heart no matter what.

Btw, go download Okami. Take care friends.

Signed,
A contemplative Danish video gamer
---
Snake and Cloud = Best Heros Ever
#2GigerSupremePosted 8/28/2013 4:15:34 AM
part of getting old i guess.

i turned 29 this year, but i still love games the same since i was old enough to hold a controller.

love games so much i made a career out of it.
#3xninjagrrlPosted 8/28/2013 4:24:03 AM
I had the same problem. You havent been playing the right games. Tomb Raider is no GOTY, it was mediocre at best. Ever try Spec Ops: The Line? Last of us? To some extent Journey? If you happen to have the PS camera/wand thingy then perhaps Child of Eden? There are some games still worth your time. I also recently discovered The Saboteur which I find compelling.
---
Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.
#4GigerSupremePosted 8/28/2013 4:29:50 AM
try genres you never were into before. play older games, experiment.
#5BrusselsAffairPosted 8/28/2013 4:43:07 AM
http://i.imgur.com/sdLEY.gif
---
"If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet"
FC: 3582-9241-5705, PSN: liam6678
#6jmtstanPosted 8/28/2013 5:04:27 AM
games are like movies, movies like The Artist, The Closer gets lots of critic praises, but if compared to Pirates of Caribbean movies, the sequels get low score, but made more profit than any award winning movies from Cannes...

I guess its part of getting old. Back then we have tons of variety to chose from, nowadays we only get FPS, TPS, W/JRPGs...
---
Android phones + Vita = happy face
PSN: jmtstan79
#7PhophenomenonPosted 8/28/2013 5:06:31 AM
I agree but Ni no Kuni was overrated. I got so excited for it because of all the hype it got. And then when I actually played it, I was disappointed.
---
Playing Tales of Xillia!
PSN ID: Phophenomenon
#8DarkSymbiotePosted 8/28/2013 5:06:56 AM
Hang in there. I'm hoping the industry will shoot itself in the foot soon enough. And after that they can actually try again.
---
"Also I am NOT PROVIDING LINKS that would take FOREVER so I WRITE DOWN THAT INFO INSTEAD." - whatnow12012
#9GigerSupremePosted 8/28/2013 5:09:48 AM
play older niche games from the ps2 gen.

ps2 is a wealth of awesome and ecclectic games. plus it can play ps1 games too.

there were some real genre benders on the ps2 man.
#10Lockheart34Posted 8/28/2013 5:18:34 AM
I approve that you mentioned Okami as a high point in gaming 3 times in your post.
---
PSN: Kamurotetsu