This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTA V budget = 265 million dollars!

#21ElDudorinoPosted 9/8/2013 1:26:42 PM
its_matt posted...
I wonder how costly PS4 and Xbox1 games are going to become to develop? I'm thinking the next gens potential is going to held back by how much it costs to take full advantage of the hardware.

Just because some dev throws $265 at developing one of the biggest games up to a certain point in history doesn't mean that's what it costs to make a video game. This industry as a whole is extremely wasteful when it comes to the amount of money that goes into game production and the marketing and so forth surrounding it. When it takes 20 minutes for the credits to roll at the end of a game yet you see indie games made by 1-4 people which in some cases have more content and equivalent graphics you know there's an issue.

A dev COULD get away with making a good PS3 game for less than one million dollars, or a good PSN title for nothing or next to nothing (other than time spent). But when you want a massive team of the best animators in the business working with paid actors for motion-capture and a bunch of big names for voice acting and a crapload of licensed music and a gigantic world with minute details that you've mastered (or think you've mastered) through extensive study and you release the game in 12 languages for multiple consoles simultaneously and then market the hell out of the game- AND you pay the extremely huge salaries of the executives on top of that- it can get expensive. And that's not even taking into account time/funds wasted due to overall inefficiency, which grows the larger and more fragmented your development team becomes.
#22Jas_PataPosted 9/8/2013 2:42:08 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
So this game will sell 5 million copies and still not make their money back, and Rockstar will go under.

Ha. It will probably sell over 10 million in the first week, you funny little man.
---
aka - Nah Tso Gud
#23ElectricMolePosted 9/8/2013 2:57:18 PM
Its not even a next gen game and it cost that much. lol
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#24este914Posted 9/8/2013 5:46:45 PM
How many copies do they have to sell to break even then?
---
...::: este914 :::...
The One & Only!
#25kingrat2314Posted 9/8/2013 6:00:58 PM
este914 posted...

4,416,666 copies at $60 per copy would equal $265,000,000. However, Rockstar doesn't get all $60 from each copy. Long story short, GTA is one of the most popular franchises in the world. They will have 0 problems making a huge profit very quickly.
---
Tread lightly.
#26archizzyPosted 9/8/2013 6:09:31 PM
este914 posted...

I have no idea how much they actually make per copy sold.

Considering GTA 4 grossed 1.35 billion dollars and had 11 million sales in the first month on an install base that was much smaller than it is now it is now it is safe to assume they will make a lot of money.

Though predictions can be flawed most sources expect GTA 5 to sell around 18 million units in the first year. I've seen an analysis of a financial model that says it would be around $230 million in operating profit and if it were to hit the 25 million copy mark it would mean around $390 million in operating profit.

The same model said even if it "only" sold 15 million copies it would come out with about $190 million in operating profit.

It's safe to assume breaking even isn't a concern.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#27Draconas_LyrrPosted 9/8/2013 6:14:43 PM
I hope it bombs, just for giggles. Though, I know it won't. Either way, I have no interest in it.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
Difference between "a" and "an": "a" comes before consonant sounds, "an" before vowel sounds.
#28deimos91Posted 9/8/2013 6:23:48 PM
SaQu1B posted...
wow.. incredible.
GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption cost little bit over $100 million
http://kotaku.com/5543374/report-red-dead-redemption-apparently-cost-%5Bupdate-2%5D

but $265 million just sounds insane... There is no doubt that GTA5 is going to be on next gen consoles.. Rockstar will have to release in every single console for it to break even.

No i still doubt it would launch when there is no need to and they would break even on the 360 and ps3 alone GTA IV made more than that in one week
---
You're a caveman angrily throwing rocks at fire.
#29DiaperDandeePosted 9/8/2013 7:21:18 PM
At the amount of pre-orders out there, and the ridiculous review scores this will more than likely get, the only way the game doesn't make a ton of money on top of it is if the world ended before it's release.
---
Playing: The Last of Us, BioShock: Infinite, Skyrim: Legendary Edition
Want: Metal Gear Solid 5, Grand Theft Auto 5
#30arclouks_xPosted 9/8/2013 7:25:17 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
So this game will sell 5 million copies and still not make their money back, and Rockstar will go under.

they will sell a lot, they will at least recover 150 million in the first month they aren't going anywhere
---
PSN:JustArc_/arclouksx
Now playing:Pixel Junk Monsters HD,Divekick.