This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people complain a lot about kids playing M rated games?

#1harcoreblazerPosted 9/15/2013 2:24:17 AM
Commenters on Kotaku seem pretty mad about this.

http://kotaku.com/11-year-old-kid-gets-grand-theft-auto-v-freaks-the-hel-1317048819

I can bet 5 dollars that when they were underage, they played the original GTA/Doom/Wolfenstein/Mortal Kombat/NARC, watched the original horror and R rated movies, hid Playboy magazines in their room...

Hypocrisy at his finest.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#2jordyboy1000Posted 9/15/2013 2:33:37 AM(edited)
I think they're p***** because they dislike sharing a hobby with children (and because that kid got the game before them).
Edit: Just want to say that the ratings aren't meant to distinguish that people under a certain age shouldn't play them, it's so that in order for a minor to obtain the game, they would have to have had an adult buy it for them, and give them permission to play it.
---
"Deception and perfection are wonderful traits, one will breed love the other; hate"
#3TomoEK9Posted 9/15/2013 2:28:30 AM
mostly because afterwards when some terrible tragedy happens every parent and media outlet will try to spin it so that the offender was addicted "violent video games" and how awful it is that these games are being marketed and played by kids.

if we want that stupid stereotype to end, then by all means kids shouldn't be playing games rated M.
#4majin nemesisPosted 9/15/2013 2:30:36 AM
maybe because M rated games are not for kids
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#5Mad_CauliflowerPosted 9/15/2013 2:31:07 AM
Watch the parental/media outcry, when the parents see their kid feeling up the hooker during a lap dance.
---
<-<- Proud Non-Jaded Gamer & Graphics Whore ->->
Z87 Extremem4 | Intel i7 4770 3.4Ghz | 32GB DDR3 PC2133 RipjawsX | GTX 780 3GB | 120GB SSD
#6harcoreblazer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2013 2:31:17 AM
TomoEK9 posted...
mostly because afterwards when some terrible tragedy happens every parent and media outlet will try to spin it so that the offender was addicted "violent video games" and how awful it is that these games are being marketed and played by kids.

if we want that stupid stereotype to end, then by all means kids shouldn't be playing games rated M.

And years ago that same argument was used for Rock, Metal and Rap music.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#7TomoEK9Posted 9/15/2013 2:34:25 AM
harcoreblazer posted...
TomoEK9 posted...

And years ago that same argument was used for Rock, Metal and Rap music.

your point being?

the game isn't for them, and they shouldn't be playing it. i quite frankly hate seeing when grossly misinformed media outlets refer to GTA games as murder simulators where you kill hookers for points. Its not just a gross generalization of the game so they put a negative spin on it, its just plain wrong.
#8Wario_manPosted 9/15/2013 2:48:33 AM
majin nemesis posted...

---
PH1R57 1'lL G37 73H 7R345Ur3, 4nD 7h3N 1'lL G37 JoO.
#9ChaingunmasterPosted 9/15/2013 2:55:18 AM
For tears of joy it sure looks like his dog has just been shot or something, I've never seen such a sorrowful expression on someone who isn't actually sad.
---
There was a FAIL here. It's gone now.
PSN and XBL id: Alos88
#10crazyman32Posted 9/15/2013 3:02:56 AM
majin nemesis posted...

---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I apologize for nothing.