This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why don't we see the same kind of Snobbery for GTA that we do in Persona series?

#1Bancario51Posted 9/18/2013 8:26:46 AM
I never hear anyone saying that Grand Theft Auto 1 or 2 is better the later installments. People always praise the latest one. Whereas there is a certain amount of snobbery in praising Persona 2 and saying how Persona 3 and 4 are bad and that fans of just 3 and 4 are somehow inferior. Why do Persona fans seem to have a chip on their shoulder while GTA are cool as ice?
---
#XboxWon (not changing this till its truth)
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#2toadiemanPosted 9/18/2013 8:35:21 AM
I prefer Persona 3 and 4.

People praise GTA San Andreas and Vice City all the time.
---
The chest is empty...like your thieving heart.
#3SinfullyvannilaPosted 9/18/2013 8:41:59 AM
I've never played 1 and 2, but maybe Persona is a more consistent series. The first 2 GTAs were garbage and I think the consensus is that 3 is a huge improvement over them.

Also, I hear GTA fans rag on 4 all the time.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#4TomoEK9Posted 9/18/2013 8:43:20 AM
There are plenty of people (such as myself) who praised Vice City and San Andreas over GTA4 all the time. GTA5 seems to have alleviated my problems with GTA4 however, so I am happy.
#5SignusZerielPosted 9/18/2013 8:45:20 AM
The problem with Persona is, it got slapped with the SMT label. And its fans desperately want it to be associated with SMT.

And yet, P4 is essentially School Days Waifu the simulator with an RPG tacked onto it. Even the other spin-offs of SMT can manage to capture the general feel of SMT. Persona 3 did somewhat. 4 wishes it did. 1 and 2 managed it pretty easily.

While fun, P4 is a farcry from where Persona itself was, and if 5 continues the trend of being a School Days Waifu game, I don't see a whole lot of people sticking with it anymore.
---
GameFak - Power to the trolls, the asses, and the posers.
#6blitz_0623Posted 9/18/2013 8:55:02 AM
It's because the later installments of the GTA series does not have as many fanboys as P3 and 4.

You don't see people saying GTA IV/V is WAY better than GTA 1/2/3 etc or that the older GTA games are trash. But then you'd see people praising P3 and 4 and it pisses old fans that these people think that the Persona series started with 3 or something.

Almost exactly the same reason why older FF fans hate VII because VI is much better to them. Too much fanboyism on P3/4 and FFVII
---
The purpose of this signature is to allow me to post in ALL CAPS
#7superbowl54Posted 9/18/2013 9:53:24 AM(edited)
it's really simple:

Persona 3 and 4 (especially 4) started to become really popular.

It's yet another case of hating something that became more mainstream than regular SMT games.

And yet, P4 is essentially School Days Waifu the simulator with an RPG tacked onto it.

Exhibit A. It still makes me laugh when someone spouts this. Because something a little more lighthearted instantly means "waifu simulator"
---
360: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Devil May Cry "fans" are worst fanbase in gaming.
#8Shadow CloudPosted 9/18/2013 9:48:35 AM
Hipsters in other words.
#9Mattatron42Posted 9/18/2013 9:48:44 AM
GTA London is still my favorite GTA with Vice City a close second. And I prefer the Persona 2s over 3-4. I guess I'm an all around snob, also MGS3 is better than MGS4.
---
3ds fc: 4940-5666-3487
NNID: Mattatron
#10Godly_GoofPosted 9/18/2013 9:51:29 AM
SignusZeriel posted...
The problem with Persona is, it got slapped with the SMT label. And its fans desperately want it to be associated with SMT.

And yet, P4 is essentially School Days Waifu the simulator with an RPG tacked onto it. Even the other spin-offs of SMT can manage to capture the general feel of SMT. Persona 3 did somewhat. 4 wishes it did. 1 and 2 managed it pretty easily.

While fun, P4 is a farcry from where Persona itself was, and if 5 continues the trend of being a School Days Waifu game, I don't see a whole lot of people sticking with it anymore.

Already doubting you played P4
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.