This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I think gamers that use the term 'overrated' are just getting tired of gaming

#1seafoamwavesPosted 9/24/2013 7:59:21 PM
By now they've played so many games and probably have a personal opinion of what the greatest games of all time are, their own 10/10 quality games.

A new game comes along getting insanely high scores and the gamer is like "Oh s***, that game will remind me why I started gaming in the first place!"

Then they play the game expecting to get that 'gamer's high' they once felt, and they get let down that it isn't the instant classic they thought it'd be.

They blame everyone else for hyping the game, and call said games 'overrated', upset that a video game didn't fill the empty void in their heart not filled since they played some mind-blowing game in the 90s. Or that it wasn't the escapism they need to cope with whatever life issues that exploded beyond their natural ability to withstand. Or theyre mad a video game didn't cure their depression and make them feel like when they gamed as a kid.

When something can't fulfill your entertainment needs your probably getting tired of it. Like, listening to music. Even the greatest songs ever can get annoying if over played, but nothing new will be as good as when you first heard it.

Damn, Im bored. Hope I ain't sound like a pseudo intellectual lol. Just my theory.
#2SignusZerielPosted 9/24/2013 8:01:34 PM
ALL games are simultaneously over and under rated.

The biggest problem is, any game with any money put into it instantly gets obscene praise.
---
GameFak - Power to the trolls, the asses, and the posers.
#3Scene13Posted 9/24/2013 8:01:56 PM
Gamers are overrated.
---
"I already play Dead-is-Dead in real life. I'm doing fairly well at it too." - VT-14
#4digidevilwilPosted 9/24/2013 8:12:38 PM
These new series of AAA interactive Hollywood film style games coming this gen are 100% overrated. They barely constitute as games in my eyes.
---
PSN: PandaKingEX
#5DevilTears604Posted 9/24/2013 8:13:11 PM
seafoamwaves posted...
By now they've played so many games and probably have a personal opinion of what the greatest games of all time are, their own 10/10 quality games.

A new game comes along getting insanely high scores and the gamer is like "Oh s***, that game will remind me why I started gaming in the first place!"

Then they play the game expecting to get that 'gamer's high' they once felt, and they get let down that it isn't the instant classic they thought it'd be.

They blame everyone else for hyping the game, and call said games 'overrated', upset that a video game didn't fill the empty void in their heart not filled since they played some mind-blowing game in the 90s. Or that it wasn't the escapism they need to cope with whatever life issues that exploded beyond their natural ability to withstand. Or theyre mad a video game didn't cure their depression and make them feel like when they gamed as a kid.

When something can't fulfill your entertainment needs your probably getting tired of it. Like, listening to music. Even the greatest songs ever can get annoying if over played, but nothing new will be as good as when you first heard it.

Damn, Im bored. Hope I ain't sound like a pseudo intellectual lol. Just my theory.

"Empty void in my heart..." you could probably make a song out of that lol.

I get what you're saying though. But I think, especially with us folks on the internet, a lot of the hype for a game happens before a review is even put out. We've already built the game up and up and up in our heads to the point where there's no possible way it could reach those expectations. I made that mistake twice this generation...one situation worked out and the other didn't.

I spent a good two years building up God of War 3 in my head, imagining it was going to be this utter masterpiece. Now, whether or not it can be called a "masterpiece" is subjective. But the game utterly exceeded my expectations. I've replayed it 8 times by this point, and I can pretty much safely say that GOW3 will be my GOTG.

On the other hand, I had built up Assassin's Creed 3 in my head too. I loved the Ezio Trilogy and AC is my favorite new IP of this gen. I got it and played it...and it was ok. Putting aside any personal feelings about it, AC3 is a genuinely good game. It's polished and well-made and there's not really a chink in its armor. But it didn't match up to my expectations, and that's my fault.

Thankfully, I learned not to build up GTA V in my head, and so far, I'm loving the heck out of it.
---
Gamers are too reactionary. Games are like fine wine, they must linger for us to get their true taste. There are plenty of examples.
#6JackTheSkipperPosted 9/24/2013 8:17:07 PM
Scene13 posted...
Gamers are overrated.

Your mother is overrated. OOOooohhhh!

Just kidding, your mother is a nice lady
---
This guy are sick.
#7Jon_GodPosted 9/24/2013 9:23:23 PM
Probably the truth.

After Halo 2 I no longer buy into the hype.

I loved the heck out of that game, but I overhyped myself. I knew almost everything about it before the game was out. Too much.

Just keep games in mind. When something is on your radar, pick it up and don't listen to reviews or other people.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#8AtlusSaGaPosted 9/25/2013 3:06:27 AM
This is ****ing ridiculous, but you're almost there. When you get older and you've played a thousand more games than your average 14 year old you're not going to be as impressed as easily. It's not that you're jaded or or getting tired of gaming, it's that you have a larger sample size and can more accurately judge games. This is why critics get paid money for writing about films and games. It's almost literally all they do.

Taste gets better with age..It's almost a biological fact. And I wouldn't say we're "tired" of gaming at all. Yeah that gaming high comes fewer and farther between, but when it does hit and you can truly appreciate a fantastic new game it's much more fulfilling than just liking everything because it was new as a kid.
---
3DS: 2836-1460-9962
Official Kudlak of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#9groz24Posted 9/25/2013 3:11:42 AM
I think that I'd disagree that taste gets better with age. I'd believe that nostalgia for how things used to be gets stronger with age. Who around here looks at what their grandparents like and says, man, do they have some great taste!
#10wolf riderPosted 9/25/2013 3:12:51 AM
seafoamwaves posted...
Hope I ain't sound like a pseudo intellectual lol.

Rest assured, you don't sound very intellectual at all.

When a stealth game has worse stealth mechanics than games made over ten years ago and people call it game of the gen, then it is overrated. Saying the the word 'overrated' is overrated is just a strawman because fanboys have no legit response to the criticism.
---
You don't get to say you're staying true to the franchise if you MAKE JUMPING A CONTEXT-SENSITIVE ACTION! ~ Me on the Thief reboot.