This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you care if a game is "too easy?"

#1wigsplasherPosted 9/27/2013 6:09:04 PM
Personally, I don't like playing a frustrating game at the end of the day. I know some people here complain if a game is not challenging enough but I find enjoyment in just playing.
---
Got them genetics
#2hyperknees91Posted 9/27/2013 6:11:42 PM
Unfortunately these days, yes. I not only need it to be hard, but I need it to be balls to the walls hard.

I think I'm a masochist though, that feeling of satisfaction of clearing a hard stage or boss is just unbeatable for me.

I screamed at the top of my lungs when I beat Oath in Felghana on Nightmare hah.
---
oof
#3tisukoPosted 9/27/2013 6:13:45 PM
I don't care if the game is too easy, as long as its fun in the process.
---
+_AN|?+=E+ ?w?_+ i
PSN: tisuko | Steam: tisuko
#4NibbetsPosted 9/27/2013 6:18:30 PM
Nope. The only thing that matters to me is if I'm having fun playing the game.
---
Feed me the heart of a small child so that I may live forever
#5TriangleHardPosted 9/27/2013 6:22:12 PM
Too easy is just fine, as long as it's fun.

If you make button mashing beat-em-up game that's nothing but repetition of combat, then easy difficulty can be a problem, because just randomly mashing buttons is not fun.

Bayonetta, Devils May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, etc needs that challenge because without it, the game becomes boring.

But if it's like RPGs like Fallout, Skyrim, Mass Effect, etc difficulty can be detriment because story and living the fantasy life is the key.

It all depends on what kind of games you are making.
#6SmoshCuchPosted 9/27/2013 6:22:24 PM
Nope. Okami was one of the easiest games I've ever played. It was also among my favorites.

I've never looked to video games to provide a challenge, just fun. If they're hard and fun, great. If they're easy and fun, also great.
#7Still__RippinPosted 9/27/2013 6:26:50 PM
Absolutely it's a huge problem for me. It's the sole reason I quit playing KoA. Even on hard mode the game can be beaten blindfolded. What's the point? Where's the sense of accomplishment?
---
Normal is an illusion. Normal For The Spider Is Chaos For The Fly--Charles Addams.
PSN- Rip_Dat_Bong. Feel free to add or stalk me.
#8SoliquidusPosted 9/27/2013 6:32:35 PM(edited)
I remember a review for the Original Sly Cooper in which the game lost points for being "too easy". I don't see why this was a flaw to that reviewer. Sly Cooper is one of my favorite games of all time. It doesn't matter to me if it was too easy. It was still a load of fun. Light hearted, whimsical fun. Too few games these days are of this nature

Thing is, I also love a challenge, but the main thing is whether I am having fun. My 3rd Fave Game This Gen is Sigma 2, and that is definitely not easy. Yet I still had a blast. So much fun

Not all games are meant to be hard or challenging in any way. I don't understand why people think that a game being too easy is a flaw
---
PS3 without Immersion lacks Rumble and PS3 without Rumble lacks Immersion. Finally Sony did the right thing
#9wigsplasher(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 6:33:42 PM
Still__Rippin posted...
Absolutely it's a huge problem for me. It's the sole reason I quit playing KoA. Even on hard mode the game can be beaten blindfolded. What's the point? Where's the sense of accomplishment?

I would argue that the sense of accomplishment is in the achievement of the platinum. I was a huge fan of KoA but I appreciated the lack of difficulty... It gave me a chance to explore and remain relatively stress-free. Getting 100% in that game was an accomplishment.
---
Got them genetics
#10tiornysPosted 9/27/2013 8:04:27 PM
For me, it's not a big deal if it's easy to beat the game, but it is a problem if the easy/obvious approaches are also the best approaches. For example, the Final Fantasy games are pretty easy to beat with basic, obvious strategies. However, most of them reward better/more skillful strategies with greater speed, efficiency, and spectacle. I enjoy this style, because I can coast if I'm in the mood for coasting, or I can engage and put in more effort and feel like my engagement with the game mattered.

By contrast, when played "normally" (i.e. pursuing at least some sidequests as they become available and actively trying to recruit most monsters) FFXIII-2 becomes so easy that, for most fights, the best strategies offer almost no advantage over the easy and obvious strategies. I do still enjoy the game, in part because bosses retain enough difficulty for skill to matter, and in part because the game is challenging if you avoid any activities that result in extra combats (or artificially restrict your development to that level), but FFXIII-2 is very close to being too easy for me to enjoy it.

In short, I need a game to reward skillful play. I think this is the core of what most people want; where we see differences in opinion is in what constitutes a reasonable reward.
---
http://etrosgate.com/