This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you blame yourself or the game's mechanics for your constant game overs...

#11RioichiCooperPosted 10/1/2013 2:56:24 PM
crazyj10 posted...
It depends on the game and how well made it is. If there are design flaws I'll blame the game, but more often than not in the end I'll blame myself.

This. Though if the mechanics seem to be unbalanced in my favor I'm more likely to blame the game rather than assume I'm just that good.
---
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
#12Lord_Ka1nPosted 10/1/2013 3:43:42 PM
well, it depends on whether or not it was actually my fault or not.

im usually pretty good at being able to tell it i screwed up or if the game is just being stupid.
#13ShionJrCitrinePosted 10/1/2013 4:50:10 PM
In Breath of Fire 5, Capcom(I know, I know I am like swearing when I say that company name) kinda made getting a game over a good thing. It was a different Rpg experience than what I was used to. Like Dark Souls, you can benefit from getting a game over.

And if you get a game over in Disgaea 1 or 2, you can start again with all your levels and items(and in the Ds version you can get an extra good character to use). For La Pucelle, you have to have the PAL version. But on another note...

When I play Driver 3 Calita's last 3 mission parts, which can be hard because: A. You either have to turn around or you have to back up at the start. B. Your top speed is a little higher than hers as long as you don't hit anything. It's beatable, but not easy.
#14NintendudeLivesPosted 10/1/2013 4:56:14 PM
Mostly blame myself. Some game's like LEGO, though, it's almost always the mechanics. Not that you actually die.
---
New Leaf FC: 0559 - 7683 - 4275
#15Thermador446Posted 10/6/2013 12:29:51 AM
I'm fairly sure GOW: Ascension kills you simply to show your graphic death the 1st time on some sequences.
---
"While you are wasting your time castrating a priceless antique, I have been systematically feeding babies to hungry mutated puppies!"
#16RaengPosted 10/6/2013 12:57:22 AM
Depends on the game. There are games in which it just isn't your fault due to bad gamedesign.
---
PSN: Royta15
www.youtube.com/royta15
#17MetroidHunter13Posted 10/6/2013 2:19:11 AM
i usually blame myself because i tend to be very hasty in everything i do and die often until i realize i need to slow down. or be more cautious.

if the game crates a problem or does something that it wouldnt do otherwise, i blame the game.

like earlier tonight i was replaying Assassins Creed Revelations, and i decided to do one of the bomb missions just to get them done, while the mission is still in the LOADING screen, i get a "mission failed: detected" and then the game loads up with me character just standing there.

i didnt even do anything, and had no control over my character, and i failed in less than a second because the game tweaked on me.

stuff like that i call foul on the game.

but most of the time im a hasty idiot
---
Dreamcast Collection - 31/247
PSN - Disp0sable_13
#18ChaingunmasterPosted 10/6/2013 2:26:15 AM
If it requires a different strategy, then fine. I'd prefer to get through a game my way rather than being forced to follow the one true strategy as set out by the devs, but whatever.
Some games are just bad when it comes to game overs, though. Like when the only way to defeat a boss is to huddle in the one corner of the room where he can't hit you and just shoot him over and over again.
---
"You did what you thought was right."
"No... I did what I thought was fun."
#19POOKISTANPosted 10/6/2013 2:51:27 AM
Generally not on the mechanics (there's very few times when I'll say "I can't control this well enough to win!") but there are cheap aspects of difficulty such as rubberband AI in racing games, cheap juggling combos in action games, and occasionally a game will require too much perfection and/or will not give you enough checkpoints - That's where I start calling out bad programming over lack of skill 'cuz that's pretty much what it is...
#20Shy420Posted 10/6/2013 6:53:46 AM
I blame everything, usually it's "the game cheating". I do know in the end it's usually my fault due to impatience.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.