This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to purchase a TV for gaming, anyone familiar with this one?

#31muskegon03Posted 10/7/2013 8:57:57 PM
archizzy what's your opinion on refurbished tv's?
---
PSN: thegame2003 / Gamer Tag: Mark Nation/ PS4 Coming Soon
NFL: Detroit Lions NBA: Detroit Pistons College Sports: Michigan
#32Teepo64Posted 10/7/2013 9:07:16 PM
Archizzy, can you tell me your opinions on this one? I had it since 2009 I believe. I bought it at Best Buy since it was on sale and it was the only plasma TV with a anti-reflective screen.

Panasonic Viera TC-P42S2 42 INCH 1080P PLASMA HD TV

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P42S2-42-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B0036VO70Y
---
Online Interactions with me are Not Rated by the ESRB
#33dacekidPosted 10/7/2013 9:13:46 PM
Wow archizzy really knows his stuff. I'm reading real sage advice in this thread.
---
Here lies the graves of gamefaq users pwn'd by dacekid. May they rest in peace: RyuuHou25
#34archizzyPosted 10/7/2013 9:15:31 PM
muskegon03 posted...

Refurbished can mean many things and sometimes it is hard to discern actually what category made this tv fall into a refurbish classification.

It could be as simple as an open box item that a retailer doesn't sell open box items and can't classify as new or it could be just cosmetic shopping damage or a failed part that has been replaced. It could essentially just been looked at and "recertified" on an item that was returned.

Sometimes refurbish can save you a lot of money just as an open box item can. Sometimes the savings is insignificant. It's a dice roll.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#35muskegon03Posted 10/7/2013 9:22:30 PM
archizzy posted...
muskegon03 posted...

Refurbished can mean many things and sometimes it is hard to discern actually what category made this tv fall into a refurbish classification.

It could be as simple as an open box item that a retailer doesn't sell open box items and can't classify as new or it could be just cosmetic shopping damage or a failed part that has been replaced. It could essentially just been looked at and "recertified" on an item that was returned.

Sometimes refurbish can save you a lot of money just as an open box item can. Sometimes the savings is insignificant. It's a dice roll.

ok. have you try out this tv? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-50K610GW-50-1080p-120Hz-Class-LED-LCD-HDTV/22660153
---
PSN: thegame2003 / Gamer Tag: Mark Nation/ PS4 Coming Soon
NFL: Detroit Lions NBA: Detroit Pistons College Sports: Michigan
#36archizzyPosted 10/7/2013 9:25:26 PM
Teepo64 posted...
Archizzy, can you tell me your opinions on this one? I had it since 2009 I believe. I bought it at Best Buy since it was on sale and it was the only plasma TV with a anti-reflective screen.

Panasonic Viera TC-P42S2 42 INCH 1080P PLASMA HD TV

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P42S2-42-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B0036VO70Y

It's a 2010 panel below the GT 20/25 and VT 20/30 lines. This was a year before the launch of the ST30 line (That people confused with the S30)

I personally would not of gone below the GT line. With smart shopping the price difference was minimal and the GT series had the step up infinite black panel.

GT had more calibration controls in custom mode. The S2 had an extra layer of glass with the AR filter in between. The GT and VT had a single layer with the AR filter bonded directly to it similar to Kuros.

There were numerous things that made the GT series worth the step up and I saw prices differences as little as $100 after they had been out a bit. GT was a no brainer in those cases. (Unless you wanted a 58 or 65 inch panel as the GT maxed at 54 inches and there was a large price gap to the VT line)
---
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#37archizzyPosted 10/7/2013 9:33:48 PM
muskegon03 posted...

ok. have you try out this tv? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-50K610GW-50-1080p-120Hz-Class-LED-LCD-HDTV/22660153

I know absolutely nothing about that tv. I don't really research stuff that low end. I don't mean that as a put down or anything. It just falls outside my interests.

When it comes to entry level stuff I run across a lot of stuff from Sony, Samsung, LG, Sharp, and stuff like that as I'm looking at their entire lineup of stuff from year to year.

But the obscure off brands or even big brands outside the US like Toshiba and others I don't follow nearly as much.

I follow everyone that puts out flagship/reference quality capable sets in the US.
---
#38este914Posted 10/8/2013 8:19:07 AM
archizzy posted...
este914 posted...
archizzy posted...

http://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-LED-Smart-HDTV-UN55F6350AF.product.100036997.html

Any thoughts about this set?

If you're going LCD and you want smart TV features it offers a good value as it pretty much has all the same smart tv features of the flagship TV sets. Samsung does very well in that category.

Strictly looking at picture quality it gets beat out by some other mid range panels. It's no secret I'm not a fan of edge lit LED lighting. It is a step backwards in picture quality but it is something the industry has embraced for thin profiles and cost savings. And it's better than the "direct view" sets that popped up in 2012 which is two steps backward.

It has gotten better but it still has weaknesses. This set really falls short in black levels, but in other areas such as color accuracy it does very well. It falls slightly behind even other mid level edge lit LED sets.

It comes down to personal likes/dislikes. If the lighter black levels don't bother you and you can accept some screen uniformity issues from edge lit sets it can be a solid panel, especially if smart tv is something you want.

I only judge picture quality and I'm a stickler for black level among other things. I would say the Panasonic TC-LE60 (size number goes in between the L and E for example the 50 inch one would be TC-L50E60)

The Panasonic is a smart tv, but it's integration isn't near as good as the Samsung so if that is important to you it is a choice you need to make. Picture quality wise though the Panasonic is a better performer as far as edge lit sets in this range go, though both fall short of their respective manufacturer (Samsung and Panasonic) plasma models go.

Thanks for the input :)
The "smart" features actually are not that important to me at all. It wasn't one of the main reasons for me eyeing this set in the first place. I guess for other reasons more importantly, the measurement of the set will fit perfectly into my entertainment center. Plus it also has 4 HDMI inputs.
I looked at the Panasonic TC-L58E60 model a bit and it is a nice set as well. A little bigger but I think I can make due. It only has 3 HDMI inputs as well but I think I can live with that. It is also about $250~ cheaper then the Samsung. That's a bit enticing for me as well.
I know that the overall quality of plasma sets have increased since many years ago when there was a lot of initial problems. But aside from the picture quality, what would be some other benefits\cons of going plasma over LCD? I bet many of the sets no longer have the 'burn in' issues of before and temperature wise, most of the newer plasma sets don't get too hot, right?
---
...::: este914 :::...
The One & Only!
#39archizzyPosted 10/8/2013 11:51:45 AM
Some sets still can get temporary image retention. If it worries you and you are only going to use the set for gaming I can understand wanting to avoid plasma.

All large panels put out heat to a degree. Plasmas as are warm but to me the difference is minimal.

One of the biggest advantages to plasma outside of picture quality is they have perfect off angle viewing. No dropff or washout no matter how extreme the angle. Probably not a huge deal to most gamers who sit dead center and play alone but if it is a family tv where multiple people watch it from a couch, chair whatever this can be big. Even gamers who game alone but maybe lay in bed at an angle. Some LCDs can suffer tremendous washout from only being off angle by a couch cushion or two.

The other main benefit is perfect screen uniformity. One of the things that drives me crazy is clouding (mura), flashlighting on panels. Edge lit LED suffer the most from this and have a hard time keeping screen uniformity, especially on larger panels.

It used to be LCDs have a huge advantage in bright room conditions. However two things really changed this. Plasma AR filters (anti reflective) have gotten much better and LCDs started going to glossy screens to get better contrast to compete with good plasmas. Almost all decent LCD panels in the modern era are glossy screens and have moved away from semi-matte screens.

Gloss screens can be way more reflective than plasma with a good AR filter.

Plasmas also tend to offer larger sizes for the price range and the PQ is better when comparing price to price. The quality you can get for a $1,000 plasma you would have to spend much more money LCD wise to match it.

Plasma has a stigma but it has more advantages than disadvantages. But again, if temporary image retention is going to be a factor I can totally see someone not being comfortable going plasma. It depends on how you will use the tv.
---
#40true_gamer80Posted 10/8/2013 12:06:37 PM
check you in box
---
Kool Keith-intergalactic leader of the halfsharkalligator halfman space men
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyS2y4vysIY