This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Atelier series the CoD of jRPG's?

#1knightoffire55Posted 10/10/2013 10:48:25 AM
It sure seems that way. One installment a year with very little difference than the previous one.
---
Enough is enough I have had it with these motherf****ing vampires in this motherf****ing rain.
#2tuna-eggPosted 10/10/2013 6:14:06 PM
I would think the Tales games are more CoD-ish in terms of how many are released in a short span of time.

Atelier is niche among the niche.
#3ToadWarriorPosted 10/10/2013 6:16:20 PM
^ I agree, it's ridiculous how many Tales games they crank out, it's the closest series to CoD in the RPG world.
#4atma6Posted 10/10/2013 7:01:25 PM
In order to be the CoD of JRPGs it would have to be insanely popular as well. The Atelier series only has a yearly release schedule and nothing more.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.com/
#5NM_hunterPosted 10/10/2013 7:13:35 PM
No. Literally every guy I know in the western hemisphere that even has video games plays call of duty. That's how popular it is.

For JRPGs? Final Fantasy, no doubt. In terms of popularity anyways.

For Japan? The CoD of Japan is Monster Hunter. It's not a JRPG but in terms of what people play, as well as popularity, it's #1.
There are online versions for Japan only so that adds a lot more to do compared to a mostly single-player series like Final Fantasy.

Gust makes quite a few games but I don't think they're anywhere close in popularity compared to what CoD or FF is.

FF is definitely it. The idiot immature fanboys and the immense popularity. If you know anything about expos and anime conventions, FF cosplays are probably the most noticeable and done. IMO, anyways. I've only been to 1 ever, but still.