This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A video game that was popular you didn't enjoy

#1JackyBoyJaneyGiPosted 10/10/2013 6:51:36 PM
I'd say a popular video game that I didn't enjoy was the Call of Duty series. I know a lot of people are going to agree with me. First person shooter games are nowhere near as good as they used to be. I miss classics like Doom, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. They make too many first person shooter games and they all play and feel the same. At least Doom, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were completely different from each other and had a lot to offer. Not to mention, the online mode for Call of Duty 4 is known to lag and online game performance has not been perfected yet so I tend to stay away from online games.

I played Halo for the Xbox and didn't think it was that special, it didn't have as much variety as Perfect Dark or Goldeneye.

Then there's Wii Sports, Wii Fit and almost every Wii game that requires the Wii Mote. I much prefer using a regular controller to play games than a barely functional motion sensing controller that keeps slipping out of my hands.

Mortal Kombat. I like the idea of fatalities and the excessive amount of blood in this game. Now I have nothing against Mortal Kombat, I just suck at it. The characters move too slow for me. I'm more used to the controls of Super Smash Bros. because you can run fast in that game. I need to go fast to keep myself in rhythm and double up on attacks. I play badly when the characters are slow.

Tomb Raider on PlayStation. The controls are terrible for me. The jumping controls are awkward and the camera never seems to point in the direction it should. I have no idea how this series became popular.

Super Mario 64. I do love Mario, but his first transition to the 3D era had one major flaw. The camera. The camera just moves all over the place and it never stays centered behind Mario. It is annoying and it's difficult or even impossible to see what you are doing.

Grand Theft Auto IV. Sure the graphics are amazing, but it didn't have as much to offer in terms of gameplay compared to San Andreas. It also seems like every mission is about going from Destination A to Destination B and shoot all the enemies. But Grand Theft Auto V resolved almost all of these issues so I think that game is a masterpiece.

World of Warcraft. I'm not really fond of online games, especially ones that force you to pay a lot of money every year. I especially hate having to use the keyboard as the default controller simply because of the fact that there are too many buttons. It takes way too long for me to memorize the controls, it would be so much easier if I could plug in a USB controller, but instead it's the damn keyboard. I just press buttons until I figure out what they do and I forget what they do a few minutes later. I just suck as PC games, end of story.
#2Battleship_GrayPosted 10/10/2013 6:53:14 PM
The Ninty trinity. Never a huge Zelda fan outside of the very first two, never a huge Metroid fan outside of the art and I've long grown tired of Mario.
---
Newest Art: more sugar skull girls: http://i.imgur.com/4AOkJWW.jpg
http://e-carpenter.tumblr.com/
#3JohnbobbPosted 10/10/2013 6:54:08 PM(edited)
The Final Fantasy series
The Legend of Zelda series
Metroid Prime
---
PSN/Steam: CheddarBBQ -- FilmAf: Johnbobb
villarosereviews.wordpress.com
#4agrissaPosted 10/10/2013 6:56:09 PM
-All PAAGGs
-All Interactive movies
-GTA
---
Remember when games used to be good?
Proudly boycotting Capcom and DLCs.
#5solideye11Posted 10/10/2013 7:02:03 PM
The Batman Arkham games
The Souls series
Tomb Raider(PS1)
LBP
Goldeneye 007(It was fun back then, but it's terrible nowadays.)
GTA 4
Every JRPG ever
---
I love the mountains, I love the clear blue skies. I love big bridges, I love when great whites fly.
PSN: chr11224
#6ToadWarriorPosted 10/10/2013 7:14:16 PM(edited)
I'll preface this with "I've been gaming since Atari," because really, if you haven't your opinion is worthless anyway.

The Tales series.
Played Symphonia, and one on the PS1, they were okay, but didn't deserve the rabid love imo, and I have never liked any other one enough to play more than an hour.

The Etrian Odyssey series..
The map drawing is horrible, and there is absolutely nothing cool about the areas... I've never been a fan of these old corridor crawlers like Eye of the Beholder.

Bold Statement Ahead:

I hate every Mario game outside of Paper Mario 64, the hidden stages in Sunshine and MarioKart/Party with friends.

Yeah, even SMB3 and World, deal with it.

Also Smash Brothers, Animal Crossing, and Fire Emblem.

I have a certain disdain for certain Nintendo games, Zelda and Metroid on the other hand...
#7XxD3ADLYXxPosted 10/10/2013 7:08:27 PM
Demon Soul's
I beat but it was mediocre.
Wasn't really hard after a while.
Became generic slash and block.
---
"Oooh, that's a bingo!" - Col. Hans Landa
PSN - xXDeadlyXx-
#8ImDyinSquirtlePosted 10/15/2013 11:55:03 AM
BioShock 1.

It was way too boring to me, but apparently everyone loved it. Im not really a fan of stories in games, so it didnt appeal to me very much.

Also, pretty much every JRPG ever made besides Pokemon.
---
Help me Squirtle, dont just stand there...Im freaking dying
"Snyder, Nolan and Goyer need to be lined up and executed." - animeape
#9AlltraPosted 10/15/2013 11:57:20 AM
Anything with online multiplayer.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#10servb0tsPosted 10/15/2013 12:41:27 PM(edited)
Pokémon series, I just don't get it. I enjoy Digimon series.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems.
A Strong Fighter is not One who Wins the Fight, But One who can Stands after Defeat.