This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For the people who liked / loved Heavy Rain how is Beyond?

#11Bloodlines1191Posted 10/12/2013 4:37:14 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
I want to believe it isn't a bad game but... it might be the Killer is Dead of Quantic Dream.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit Quantic Dream's games are far from perfect. The writing is usually spotty, and sometimes it just goes plain bat****. That said, I don't think you should listen to the naysayers. So many people are assuming Beyond is awful without even really giving it a chance. Oh, it's got Ellen Page in it; oh, it's got QTEs; oh, it's about a spirit. So what? Page's performance is great; the QTEs do actually work; and the spirit stuff is surprisingly creative and interesting.

Ultimately, the game may not get the praise it deserves (or it might just get the opposite--I haven't finished it yet) as a result of the work that came before it, but I think the important thing is that the people who do play it and really give it a shot will appreciate it. David Cage, as pretentious and maybe pompous as he is, does have something here that I'd hate to see die out. The guy's stubborn, though--he and his studio will continue doing what they've been doing, count on it.

There are some odd things people complain about in his games though. Such as shower scenes and walking in boxers. I've seen it in so many works that seeing it in 2 or 3 games is nothing for me.

Anyway, I agree with what you said. I am hoping for a game that is Slice of Life than Conflict which Cage's gameplay (alot less on the QTEs though but still there) but just free-roam and with lots of content. I think there is still potential which this formula. Loved Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. Wanna play Shenmue. So I wonder how would a game like this would fare if it was more like Clannad or something like that.
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#12VarronPosted 10/12/2013 4:37:48 PM
Are there any surprise-nudity scenes like Ethan's ass in Heavy Rain?
---
PSN: Snippuh
#13Dark_EpathyPosted 10/12/2013 4:46:52 PM
There's a little bit of walking around in boxers. Not really a big deal, though. And there's one shower scene, but it's not really gratuitous at all.
---
"We are the greater good." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
#14Bloodlines1191Posted 10/12/2013 5:26:00 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
There's a little bit of walking around in boxers. Not really a big deal, though. And there's one shower scene, but it's not really gratuitous at all.

In fact no nudity at all unless you are playing the PAL/NTSJ versions of the game.

Anyhoo, do you think we'll get that type of free-roam Adventure title like Shenmue just on the scale of a typical free-roam game someday?
---
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
I shall forever hate the name......Crimson Viper
#15BlueJester007Posted 10/12/2013 5:35:40 PM
As someone who enjoyed Heavy Rain quite a bit, I found Beyond: Two Souls to be quite boring.
I didn't care for any of the characters and since the game is broken up in a non-chronological manner, the story is really disjointing and somewhat hard to follow.

Also, there are very few consequences in the game for failure. Unlike Heavy Rain, you could miss every single QTE and still beat the game just fine.

It lacks any motivation to play it. In Heavy Rain, I wanted to see Ethan get his son back, I wanted to see Norman solve the case, I wanted to see Madison unravel the mystery, I wanted to see Scott get his ass kicked. In Beyond: Two Souls I felt nothing. It was just bland.
---
Deus Ex: Human Revelation OST Title: I Never Asked For Discs
#16SythisTaruPosted 10/12/2013 5:38:17 PM
BlueJester007 posted...
As someone who enjoyed Heavy Rain quite a bit, I found Beyond: Two Souls to be quite boring.
I didn't care for any of the characters and since the game is broken up in a non-chronological manner, the story is really disjointing and somewhat hard to follow.

Also, there are very few consequences in the game for failure. Unlike Heavy Rain, you could miss every single QTE and still beat the game just fine.

It lacks any motivation to play it. In Heavy Rain, I wanted to see Ethan get his son back, I wanted to see Norman solve the case, I wanted to see Madison unravel the mystery, I wanted to see Scott get his ass kicked. In Beyond: Two Souls I felt nothing. It was just bland.

Eye NEvAR AXED Fo' DIS!?
#17anonymous46773Posted 10/12/2013 5:39:17 PM
Not quite as good as Heavy Rain, but still really good. Played through the entire game in one sitting.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#18Hollywood nWoPosted 10/12/2013 5:40:32 PM
I don't like it nearly as much but Heavy Rain was one of my favorite games ever, 1 or 2. I played it straight through the first time 10 hours. B2S is good, but I can put it down. Id say HR 10/10, B2S 7/10... so far.
---
Finally Made Sage!!!
R.I.P Arianna Salanitro 2007-2008 (my daughter)
#19Gojiro_PerfectoPosted 10/12/2013 5:50:29 PM
It's a good rental. I returned it for a full refund after testing it out for a few days, gotta love gamestop's policy for used games!
---
Chunners (SSF IV)
- It doesn't matter how strong you are if none of your attacks connect!
#20BlueJester007Posted 10/12/2013 6:16:03 PM
SythisTaru posted...
Eye NEvAR AXED Fo' DIS!?

TeY seD tey "SAYVd" me, BuTt I WoodnT seY "saYvD" iz teH RitE Wrd.
---
Deus Ex: Human Revelation OST Title: I Never Asked For Discs