This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why isn't Duke Nukem popular anymore?

#1Persistant_FatePosted 10/15/2013 11:46:51 AM
Remember when Lara Croft and Duke Nukem were popular in the mid 90's? Lara Croft is still here and is still very prominent. Duke Nukem... what happened? Was his game this gen that bad? Never played it.
#2RHFPosted 10/15/2013 11:48:33 AM
Forever destroyed the franchise before it was even out.
---
For great justice! And Fruit Pies! *Official #1 supporter for Hsien-ko*
#3HanfengLinPosted 10/15/2013 11:48:39 AM
DNF was bad.

It was sluggish, broken, and really the only merit was it was still largely The Duke's character.

But even THAT gets ruined when you see his character get the "extreme" treatment and ruined near the end by becoming a general douche.
#4ImDyinSquirtlePosted 10/15/2013 11:53:23 AM
Duke hasn't been relevant since the 90s, because he had no games come out for like 13 years

And when Forever finally came out, it was crap
---
Help me Squirtle, dont just stand there...Im freaking dying
"Snyder, Nolan and Goyer need to be lined up and executed." - animeape
#5DeadlineGamerPosted 10/15/2013 11:53:30 AM
It took an arrow to the knee.
---
The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.
#6corex3dPosted 10/15/2013 11:53:47 AM
i actually really liked dnf but i can understand why some people don't it could have been alot better gearbox said they were gonna make another they said they didn't buy the ip just to release 1 game that was i think 95% done when they got a hold of it so yeah duke nukem still has 1 more shot also pretty sure they said that its gonna be a reboot rather than a sequel
#7theshovellerPosted 10/15/2013 12:01:58 PM
DeadlineGamer posted...
It took an arrow to the knee.

Funny bit of trivia, that phrase means they got hitched / married in the olden days, and was a reference to how people take a knee when proposing - hence, the "took an arrow to the knee" bit. Duke definitely didn't take an arrow to the knee.

Anyway, I'd agree that Duke Forever killed the franchise off. While they had a few games between Duke 3D and Duke Forever, it wasn't enough to keep it relevant - and the last game released was, I believe, Manhattan Project, which I don't think did it any favors as they went back to a 2d-platformer setup for it after being in a 3d first-person shooter setup (but I could be wrong on that, and it could have gotten a great reception - memory's a bit hazy on it.)

If they did reboot it, I'd love to see them go back to Duke's roots with Dr. Proton and regular plain old parodies of things - Energizer bunnies and whatnot. Aliens only came into the Duke Nukem fold in the second game, when Duke got abducted from a talk show about how he kicked Proton's butt.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#8DeadlineGamerPosted 10/15/2013 12:06:30 PM
@theshoveller
What sort of a stupid kid you think I am?
---
The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.
#9Persistant_Fate(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 12:07:24 PM
I hope there's a reboot... Would be a shame to see him die.
#10theshovellerPosted 10/15/2013 12:10:24 PM
DeadlineGamer posted...
@theshoveller
What sort of a stupid kid you think I am?

Some people think it talks about an actual arrow into an actual knee - like an old war wound. Not directed at you necessarily, but more of taking what you said to springboard a bit of trivia I thought was interesting.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!