This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 user here. Need HDTV suggestions.

#1ForceSensitiveXPosted 10/26/2013 4:00:06 PM
My large-as-a-car-trunk Sony HD CRT finally kicked the bucket. It's not unfixable, but I am to the point where I'm looking for an excuse to trade up. Having a 300lb TV the size of a space capsule is becoming a burden.

As far as flat HDTVs, I used to have a 42" Samsung. It had horrible input lag. Online gaming sucked, and blu-ray movies looked like they were dubbed. It also suffered from motion blur. I bought it back in 2008 for a pretty penny, too. It ended up going back, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Quality above all else, plasmas seem to have the richest contrast and best colors. Also, plasmas have what...about a 600Hz refresh rate? Should take care of the motion blur. And their response times seem good. But what about burn-in? Is that still prevalent? Games have a lot of static imagery.

I'm thinking about the Panasonic TC-P50S60, but can anyone give me some solid alternatives?
#2Jx1010Posted 10/26/2013 4:01:42 PM
I would suggest the Sony Bravia
Its good quality, I still have mine from 2006, it syncs to ps3 but its a bit pricey
#3GamerRafPosted 10/26/2013 4:03:06 PM
CRT? LOL. Try this,

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE50UY04-50-Inch-120Hz/dp/B00BXF7I9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382608397&sr=8-1&keywords=tv+4k
---
"Lets release a console with no games and no marketing." -Satoru Iwata, 2012
#4GamerRafPosted 10/26/2013 4:07:40 PM
ForceSensitiveX posted...
My large-as-a-car-trunk Sony HD CRT finally kicked the bucket. It's not unfixable, but I am to the point where I'm looking for an excuse to trade up. Having a 300lb TV the size of a space capsule is becoming a burden.

As far as flat HDTVs, I used to have a 42" Samsung. It had horrible input lag. Online gaming sucked, and blu-ray movies looked like they were dubbed. It also suffered from motion blur. I bought it back in 2008 for a pretty penny, too. It ended up going back, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Quality above all else, plasmas seem to have the richest contrast and best colors. Also, plasmas have what...about a 600Hz refresh rate? Should take care of the motion blur. And their response times seem good. But what about burn-in? Is that still prevalent? Games have a lot of static imagery.

I'm thinking about the Panasonic TC-P50S60, but can anyone give me some solid alternatives?

LCD or CRT.
They have a better viewing angle which is better for a larger room.
They have the best picture in a dark room.
They have a more durable screen.

Plasma also has its cons:
Not good in a room with a lot of light because of glare
Much heavier and hotter
Burns more energy
Should be left on for 48 hours straight when brand new to prevent images from burning into the screen.
Extended warranty is more expensive.

LCD has pros over Plasma:
Better for watching TV in room with a lot of light.
Light weight
Consumes less energy

LED is even better then the pros of Plasma and LCD and virtually no cons compared to them.
---
"Lets release a console with no games and no marketing." -Satoru Iwata, 2012
#5archizzyPosted 10/26/2013 4:12:41 PM

Some panels can still show temporary image retention. Samsung used to be poor with it but they really turned things around in 2012 and handle it better than Panasonic now. The 600Hz is the sub field drive, not the refresh rate.

The reasons plasma have superior motion is because of the way it delivers it's picture. LCDs are subject to sample and hold. The hold time is what gives them poor motion because of what is called retinal blur or what some people call eye tracking.

Since you are looking at the S60 I'm going to copy and paste another message I sent to another user as it would help you out if you are looking at the S60 route.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#6archizzyPosted 10/26/2013 4:17:13 PM
Earlier I ruled out Panasonic Plasmas based on a few reasons. Mostly being terrible input lag on the ST series. Normally I wouldn't recommend a set below the ST series but this is a unique situation which is why I'm willing to recommend a "lower" model.

There is a lower series called the S60 model which doesn't have as good a panel, and lacks any Anti Reflective filter which makes its picture quality drop off in lighting fairly quickly.

Here is the good part though. There is a hybrid model called the S64 which is only exclusive to Costco and Sams Club. Normally some of these special Sams Club models end up being based on another model but they have a few things removed making them a bit "less" of a tv. This is a unique situation where the hybrid ends up being a better tv.

The S64 is is a copy of the S60 with two exceptions. It has a better panel in it. (Same as the ST series) and it comes with the AR filter (same as ST) meaning the washout won't happen if you happen to have lights on or have a bright room. The one big weakness of the S60 was the dropoff in light conditions. The S64 does not have this issue.

This is a professional review of the S60 model (which will apply to the S64 but minus the weaknesses from lack of filter)

http://tinyurl.com/lfree3q

It also doesn't suffer the poor input lag results of the ST series as evidence here in some professional testing on that.

http://tinyurl.com/mzcxct3

The S60 tests out over twice as good as the ST series. So you avoid the plagues of the ST series and gain the benefit from it on the better panel and the AR filter when picking up the S64 from a Sams/Costco.

You may not even be sensitive to input lag and may not even need the game mode and all the better if you don't. But if you do need it, it is nice to know it won't b so pronounced on the S64. The final thing to mention is temporary image retention. I don't think it will be an issue. Especially if you use the tv for normal tv/movie watching as well as gaming. I wouldn't have an issue with it but I understand if it is something that turns you away. You shouldn't ever see it on normal content, and maybe only see shades of it on "blank inputs" but not with an image on the screen.

Again if this makes you uncomfy we can look elsewhere and go LCD.

The 50 inch set goes for around $600 at Costco.
This tv essentially falls in perfectly as a hybrid that hits all the good points and eliminates some weaknesses. At the price you will find no better option.
---
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#7archizzyPosted 10/26/2013 4:19:08 PM
Again that last message is a copy paste of an earlier message to someone else. I felt it was applicable to you though since you mentioned the S60. If you were going to go that route, the S64 would be a better option depending on where you live.
---
#8archizzyPosted 10/26/2013 4:26:32 PM
GamerRaf posted...

LCD or CRT.
They have a better viewing angle which is better for a larger room.
They have the best picture in a dark room.
They have a more durable screen.

Plasma also has its cons:
Not good in a room with a lot of light because of glare
Much heavier and hotter
Burns more energy
Should be left on for 48 hours straight when brand new to prevent images from burning into the screen.
Extended warranty is more expensive.

LCD has pros over Plasma:
Better for watching TV in room with a lot of light.
Light weight
Consumes less energy

LED is even better then the pros of Plasma and LCD and virtually no cons compared to them.

The problem with LED is the almost all LED displays are edge lit LED which is a step backwards from traditional CCFL LCD. They still struggle with motion without using frame interpolation. While full array with local dimming LED can be quite good they still suffer from screen uniformity as all LCDs do, they still suffer from off angle viewing drop off conditions. Full array with local dimming are a very small portion of the market and are quite pricey.

The old rule of LCDs in bright rooms and plasmas in caves hardly applies. Any decent plasma will have an AR filter and all decent LCDs have changed from matte or semi matte screen to full gloss screens to get more contrast and have turned into extremely reflective displays.

Both techs can put out a great picture to be sure but as always it comes down to model numbers.
---
#9ForceSensitiveX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2013 4:29:00 PM
GamerRaf posted...
CRT? LOL.

I'll accept any "wow, dude, you still use one of those" only if you wish to poke fun at the size or weight. Don't let the fact that it's an older style of tech fool you. If it hadn't died, I'd still be using it. The picture/sound quality is far better than any LCD/Plasma I've encountered. Apart only from some $3000 units I've had the honor of watching (and, seriously, anything that costly better be dang good).
#10archizzyPosted 10/26/2013 4:32:53 PM(edited)
GamerRaf posted...
CRT? LOL.

I'll accept any "wow, dude, you still use one of those" only if you wish to poke fun at the size or weight. Don't let the fact that it's an older style of tech fool you. If it hadn't died, I'd still be using it. The picture/sound quality is far better than any LCD/Plasma I've encountered. Apart only from some $3000 units I've had the honor of watching (and, seriously, anything that costly better be dang good).

Some of the older top quality CRT sets hold up very well. The Sony XBR960 with the super fine pitch tubes is among one of the best displays ever made and still holds it's own quite well.

The drawback is size/weight and being limited in size.
---