This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I just beat Last of Us... Incredible game. Pretty much proves story>gameplay.

#1mtjormitchPosted 11/3/2013 6:13:01 PM(edited)
Yep. I said it. This single video game pretty much proves the uselessness of gameplay by itself nowadays. This games existence proves that story has gotten more important than gameplay in this modern age of video games.

Heck, it actually isn't the only game that proves this, Bioshock Infinite, The Walking Dead and GTA5, all released this year, pretty much does prove that story in video games is now impossibly important. Heck, the fact taht BI sold 5 million copies, The Walking Dead sold a crapton, Last of Us is probably going to hit over 4 million units this Christmas and GTA5 is damn near 30 million copies. It pretty much is solidified that story is important in video games now.

If you disagree, well... sorry to tell you, but video games were going to be like this and were turning that way for a while now. Now, some of you are going to be like, "Oh! But it is insulting to say storyless video games aren't important! You're a heretic!" Sorry to tell you, but this was always going to happen. The only reason video games didn't become a story based medium sooner is because of technology limits of what we had back then. If we had what we have now, the medium of video games would have been a story based one from the get go. Also the graphics and the bigger importance on writing also helped encourage more and more story based video games over time. I knew as soon as Ocarina of Time that this was gonna happen.

Competition is also another factor. When a developer makes a video game with an amazing story and hear that people want a video game with a great story as well from now on, they gotta do it otherwise are seen as very lazy. This is the main difference between our medium and all others. The makers of video games have to keep stepping up otherwise they will lose interest. With the growing age of gamers out there, video games were always going to end up down this road.

Now, this also goes to show us another thing. Video game makers respect story more than most other mediums. The fact that The Walking Dead TV show is allowed to even exist alongside stuff like 50 shades of grey and the transformers movies pretty much proves that most other mediums just don't give a crap about making quality stories because they know they can getaway with it. While with video games, if you have a bad story you get called out on it and are made fun of, heck, people still make fun of FF13 and ME3 because of how bad their stories were. No other mediums have a fanbase that calls out creators in such a way.

Also, anyone that uses the phrase, "If I wanted as story, I can read a book." Pretty much prove themselves to be ignorant for how video games like The Last of Us, The Walking Dead by TellTale and Bioshock Infinite even exist prove such opinions wrong in literal instants.

Heck, our medium has more balls than other mediums completely. We are completely willing to have children in video games die horribly for story reasons and even have you, the player, pull the trigger yourself. Heck, MGS5 is dealing with CHILD SOLDIERS! Most other mediums wouldn't even freaking attempt to do that. Video games however are willing to actually have balls to tell their stories without worry and with you dealing with these situations.

The growing age of gamers also shows why video games have gotten more story based, they are growing up with us. Either you deal with the facts that this is now a storytelling medium where gameplay is forgotten, like how it was always meant to be, or leave this medium, because if you hate video games like The Last of Us, you are going to hate what next gen brings. Because it is only going to become a more story based medium throughout. Your choice whether to stay or leave.
---
Story in video games have gotten more important than gameplay nowadays. I recommend dealing with this fact and learning that this is now a storytelling medium.
#2bordarcolliePosted 11/3/2013 6:11:55 PM
the issue is that the last of us didnt even have a good story and it had terrible game play that reuses assets and AI from uncharted

its just a glorified rehash
#3guineathewopPosted 11/3/2013 6:13:06 PM
<looks right, looks left, pushes mtjormitch into a fire>
#4Jx1010Posted 11/3/2013 6:14:05 PM
I havent played it yet
but I will keep it in mind for later on, maybe next year
---
Currently playing: Persona 3 FES and Resident Evil 6
#5bordarcolliePosted 11/3/2013 6:14:48 PM
Jx1010 posted...
I havent played it yet

you can watch it on youtube.
#6XxD3ADLYXxPosted 11/3/2013 6:18:46 PM
Yup everyone who was gonna buy GTA 5 was thinking:
"i CAN'T WAIT FOR THE STORY!"
---
I just disemboweled myself. Again.
#7mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 6:21:50 PM
bordarcollie posted...
the issue is that the last of us didnt even have a good story and it had terrible game play that reuses assets and AI from uncharted

its just a glorified rehash

There is so much wrong here that it is very, very obvious you never played the game at all.

The story was good was because of the journey of both Joel and Ellie through this world to their destination and all the things that happened to them and their relationship with each other. That is the entire damn story of the game. It is simple, but you know what, how they told it and how they wrote it all out was what made it amazing. You don't have to make something as complex as MGS to make a good story. Heck, The Lord of the Rings is all about the groups journey to destroy the one ring. It's how you write it and how you do it that matters.

The gameplay was way better than uncharted, and I say this from very recent expierence. Heck, Last of Us had way better gun aiming then the series, the puzzles weren't all cryptic as hell, there wasn't any climbing because Joel and Ellie are normal human beings and the assets, from what I could tell, if they were reused, they were reused incredibly well and the AI is way better in The Last of Us than Uncharted and I can say that without a single bit of doubt in my mind.
---
Story in video games have gotten more important than gameplay nowadays. I recommend dealing with this fact and learning that this is now a storytelling medium.
#8mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 6:23:00 PM
XxD3ADLYXx posted...
Yup everyone who was gonna buy GTA 5 was thinking:
"i CAN'T WAIT FOR THE STORY!"

After GTA4... there was a lot of unhype for the gameplay because of how atrocious 4 was when it came to gameplay. But everyone knew the story would be great and were looking forward to that.
---
#9mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 6:23:47 PM
bordarcollie posted...
Jx1010 posted...
I havent played it yet

you can watch it on youtube.

Or buy and play it like you SHOULD for a video game.
---
#10DevilTears604Posted 11/3/2013 6:24:19 PM
TC, I like how you have a very long, thought-out, detailed post of why you feel the way you do about gameplay vs. story. It's very well-put together.

And I also like how everyone else has nothing really to say in response.

That said, I think there's room for both kinds of games. There can be heavy story-driven games like The Last of Us, which I agree is an amazing game. But I think there can also be games like Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, and others that offer minimal story but go extra heavy on the gameplay innovation. Our industry is nothing if not vast and diverse. There is literally something for everyone in the video game world.
---
Gamers are too reactionary. Games are like fine wine, they must linger for us to get their true taste. There are plenty of examples.