This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Seriously, how is Dark Souls NOT a Jrpg?

#111shawnmckPosted 11/15/2013 11:51:14 AM(edited)
xnoelz posted...
JARPG

^ I could actually go for that classification, because it is a NEW one.
Basically you are saying that it is a Japanese Action RPG...

It is a different classification than JRPG, which is genre specific to games like Final Fantasy and Star Ocean, yet still classifies it as an Action game, but still acknowledges the Japanese flair.
So I could accept that.
#112Battleship_GrayPosted 11/15/2013 11:56:49 AM
This thread has really illustrated to me how senseless all this micro-classification semantics nonsense is.
---
Newest Art: http://i.imgur.com/H0xJ37Y.jpg
http://e-carpenter.tumblr.com/
#113Dabrikishaw15Posted 11/19/2013 3:24:49 PM
toadieman posted...
It's an action rpg.
/enddiscussion

---
3DS FC: 4382 - 2449 - 5707
Official Jiminy Cricket of the Kingdom Hearts III Boards
#114theGodPantiesPosted 11/19/2013 5:38:03 PM
TC, don't listen to the countless trolls on these boards

It is a jrpg. In fact it is one of the best jrpgs this gen.

Simply amazing
---
FACT: Demon's Souls: rpg of the millennium
#115donkeyjackPosted 11/19/2013 5:57:26 PM
KOTRwhoops posted...
The J refers to the style. Dark Souls is NOT a Japanese style RPG, it's a Western Style RPG (despite its origin). Or to ignore this stupid and tired debate it is an Action RPG.

---
"Live on the run police paying me to give in my gun/Trick the wisdom with the system that imprisoned my son." - Nas Esco Circa '95
#116shawnmckPosted 11/19/2013 6:08:32 PM
theGodPanties posted...
TC, don't listen to the countless trolls on these boards

It is a jrpg. In fact it is one of the best jrpgs this gen.

Simply amazing

^ You should be more careful...your troll side is showing.
Just because you consider it a "JRPG" doesn't make it so.
Even the Developers themselves say that it's an ARPG, and have even stated that they dislike the genre of JRPG's.
#117wstfldPosted 11/19/2013 6:26:10 PM
Because it's good.
---
Now playing - Killzone Shadow Fall, Battlefield 4, NBA 2K14, FIFA 14, Need for Speed Rivals, Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag, Madden 25
#118PurificationPosted 11/21/2013 4:31:22 PM(edited)
Dark Souls IS a JRPG, and not because it was made in Japan but by the style.

Dark Souls uses a vague style of storytelling and character presentation, similar to JRPG's. I know many of you are familiar with the whole linear save the world plot in JRPG's but that's just bias, there are plenty of lesser known series that are NOT Final Fantasy that uses a vague non linear structure. If those games are classified as JRPG's, so is Dark Souls.

Just look at the lore and world setup and you can clearly see similarities between it and other JRPG's.
---
The Judge, Jury, and Executioner
#119ShuraYukihimePosted 11/21/2013 6:06:40 PM
Purification posted...
Dark Souls IS a JRPG, and not because it was made in Japan but by the style.

Dark Souls uses a vague style of storytelling and character presentation, similar to JRPG's. I know many of you are familiar with the whole linear save the world plot in JRPG's but that's just bias, there are plenty of lesser known series that are NOT Final Fantasy that uses a vague non linear structure. If those games are classified as JRPG's, so is Dark Souls.

Just look at the lore and world setup and you can clearly see similarities between it and other JRPG's.

So King's Field is also a JRPG?
---
I'm searching the city for sci fi wasabi.