This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, Amazon's started charging tax on online purchases...

#21theshovellerPosted 11/14/2013 6:59:45 AM
Rodzidan posted...
I think its the state government that decides to charge sales tax on online goods, not Amazon.

It is, and it's up to the state to enforce collecting that tax on goods old there, I believe. If they're enforcing it now, then that's why Amazon's doing it. They're not going to shell out the maybe $300 in taxes you accrued over the course of a year to your state you live in - they're going to make you pay it, by charging you the tax for the item you're buying.

Remember, they're a business, not a friend or a charity. If you don't like this, then talk to the people at your state level about it. Write letters. Make calls. Sign petitions. If you're old enough, run for the office yourself. All of those might amount to nothing, but I'll say this much - doing something and getting no result is a hell of a lot better than doing nothing and guaranteeing no result.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#22xOmniCloudxPosted 11/14/2013 7:00:09 AM
theshoveller posted...
Oh no, my $60 is now $63.50. Quick, someone call the President and tell him about this outrage.

Yes, let's willing pay money and let this add up over time to actually being a lot in purchases because having less money is ALWAYS GOOD! I think people forget that standard shopping is around that cost anyway so you can pay anywhere from double shipping to multiple times that. It makes buying online lose a lot of its point and in some cases outright if you can go in store and buy it without issue and also get it within minutes if not seconds. But hey, if you like paying more money when you don't or shouldn't have to regardless of price, then by all means.
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
#23theshovellerPosted 11/14/2013 7:09:49 AM(edited)
xOmniCloudx posted...
theshoveller posted...
Oh no, my $60 is now $63.50. Quick, someone call the President and tell him about this outrage.

Yes, let's willing pay money and let this add up over time to actually being a lot in purchases because having less money is ALWAYS GOOD! I think people forget that standard shopping is around that cost anyway so you can pay anywhere from double shipping to multiple times that. It makes buying online lose a lot of its point and in some cases outright if you can go in store and buy it without issue and also get it within minutes if not seconds. But hey, if you like paying more money when you don't or shouldn't have to regardless of price, then by all means.

...... You do know what a "tax" is, right? I mean, I can understand if you're confused. I saw a news channel arguing over what the difference between a tax and a fee was, and why some government-like person was using "fee" instead of "tax," so maybe people don't actually, honestly know the difference.

Those taxes? That's how your state makes money. Rich or poor, your state collects that money to pay for its workers, roads, services, and all that other stuff. With the increase in people buying stuff online, why would they NOT tax the same items you're buying over the internet? Hell, at least if you bought it locally, you'd be supporting your community a bit more than you currently are by buying online.

---
#24Gandalf the IstariPosted 11/14/2013 9:25:16 AM
Izec posted...
Mutant1988 posted...
Evading tax is shirking on your social responsibilities. Don't be a selfish jerk.

That said, your country might handle tax money horribly, but I doubt that's the reason why you want to avoid paying tax.

It's not fair that, all else equal, I have to pay more tax simply because I live in a different state. It's not like my state's even poor.

The reality is that everyone should be paying tax on these purchases - the only difference is that if Amazon has a brick and mortar store in the state they have to collect them - otherwise you should be paying it yourself.
---
PSN: ck_22_c GT: ckc22
NA 3DS: 0533 - 4509 - 1310
#25PolishCockatielPosted 11/14/2013 9:36:38 AM
Lol TC welcome to June of 2013. I made this topic then : P
#26ShinAkuma777Posted 11/14/2013 9:40:30 AM
:( wtf that wasn't supposed to go into effect until next year in VA GOD DAMN YOU MCDONALD!!!
---
only bobo knows how to work your nipples
Check my page for kungfu http://www.youtube.com/user/thuggofdablock
#27Gamer4ever77Posted 11/14/2013 12:55:10 PM
No District of Colombia? I'm shocked since the senators there are desperate to introduce any kind of tax imaginable.
---
I will not change this until WWE brings back the KOTR PPV. {Started 2-1-10}
Minnesota Vikings 2013 2-7
#28theshovellerPosted 11/14/2013 12:59:06 PM
Gamer4ever77 posted...
No District of Colombia? I'm shocked since the senators there are desperate to introduce any kind of tax imaginable.

They're exempt from any and all laws. Like the healthcare thing (mind you, might be kicking up a ****storm with this, but I promise real quick.)

They're exempt from having to take the government option. They get fancy-pants coverage because they're senators, that covers everything. Why should they have to use the same coverage us lowly peons get?
---
#29Buttery_ToastPosted 11/14/2013 1:07:05 PM
Lol, you're a bit late on most of this. I've been getting charged taxes for online purchases since about a year ago. Gotta love Texas taxes.
---
My body is always Reggie.
#30kaminarikidPosted 11/14/2013 6:11:09 PM
Hmm, this is news to me. Must really suck for people who live in those states, I guess.
---
PSN: Kaminari_Kid
Not changing this signature until Kofi Kingston wins a world title. Started 12/12/12