This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playstation Plus doesn't seem very good...

#1zombie_basher13Posted 11/15/2013 10:55:51 PM
So I just signed up for it today, just a 1 month trial (and I'm confused but I'll get to that), because of promises of: Free games, discounts, etc. But hidden behind all that is of course, drawbacks.

Apparently, when my sub ends I lose all the games I got for free? So then they're not really free. You're playing them on a lease basis, you don't own them at all, you only "own" them so long as you continue paying sub. And then, of course everything must be downloaded. Dude, I got 15 GB left on my system. So what am I supposed to do, buy 5 USBs, copy everything, and then delete everything to make room for all this free stuff that's gonna be taken away anyway? (if I cancel sub). For example, Uncharted 3 is 40 GB to download. Dude, I could just buy the damn game for like less than 20$ on amazon or somewhere and save my HDD space and DL waiting time.

So what's left then...discounts on PS 1 classics and others. Great. Well I'm a physical game collector, I don't like this digital age we're heading to, because as I've stated, all the DLing takes up so much space, and we don't actually own anything. I am not a supporter or believer in the digital age, I think it's a terrible direction for the industry. But now, Sony's ploy is to practically force people to get Plus now by taking free online play away. I just...don't get it. Also, I'm assuming along with "free games" being taken away, all my cloud saves will be erased too, right? Seems kinda pointless then.

And the thing I don't get is, the 1 month I signed up for was 9.99, but it says 5$ per month, is that 5 for a full year or...? I dunno. Could you guys explain what the appeal of this service is? With these kinds of drawbacks I don't see it.
---
It's obnoxious when gameFAQers rank the Final Fantasy games in their sigs. Like, I don't care.
#2chrrypie361Posted 11/15/2013 11:01:58 PM
You can delete any game you got from ps plus and redownload it later for free (still need to be a ps plus member to play it though). Your cloud saves aren't erased when it ends either, it just stops updating them. Also, how big is your hdd? I got the 320gb model and have not had a problem with running out of space. And you would pay more for the games physically than you would for them digitally ps plus service.
---
3ds friend code: 5086-2124-5992
#3TomoEK9Posted 11/15/2013 11:03:32 PM
Doing it on a trial basis is not a good way to get a good overview of the service.

You don't keep your games but as I see it, if you were REALLY that interested in the game, you would go out and buy it, regardless of whether its free or not. If I ever stop my PS+ subscription, I wouldn't be mad at all for losing those games because I have zero interest in keeping them.

Uncharted isn't 40 gigs, a lot of that is movie packs which you can skip all together. If you need more space, you should get a bigger HDD. Or delete and re-install as needed, if you have access to download it again, what does it matter for you?

I have no problem with the digital discounts, for the most part they aren't super useful, but when they are, the discount often runs better than what you can find physically.

The PS+ experience isn't designed to be start and stop. To truly enjoy it, you would have to use it on an ongoing basis.
#4Mutant1988Posted 11/15/2013 11:09:11 PM
Consider it a subscription based rental service with various loyalty discounts. Because that's really what it is.

Free games? Only for as long as you subscribe. If you want to own them (As in, keep them after you've stopped subscribing) you still have to pay for them.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#5wigsplasherPosted 11/15/2013 11:50:51 PM
Wow, never seen this topic before
---
We will go on a journey. A journey of scooters.
#6CronoDynePosted 11/16/2013 12:50:47 AM(edited)
And the thing I don't get is, the 1 month I signed up for was 9.99, but it says 5$ per month, is that 5 for a full year or...?

This is Sony's rather childish marketing ploy they use to bring in customers. It's basically a bait and switch. GET PS+ AND GET FREE GAMES...that you have to pay a subscription for to actually play them, making them not "free" at all. 60% OFF SALE...if you're already spending money on PS+. PS+ FOR LESS THAN $5 PER MONTH... if you pay $50 upfront for an entire year.

It's cheap, cliched marketing.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#7MikeugamePosted 11/16/2013 3:08:23 AM
This topic needs to be locked and deleted theres so many topics like this with the samo crap. Some people just don't see the value of it.
---
"PLAY BEAT PLATINUM"
#8True_FoeHammerPosted 11/16/2013 3:52:27 AM
CronoDyne posted...
And the thing I don't get is, the 1 month I signed up for was 9.99, but it says 5$ per month, is that 5 for a full year or...?

This is Sony's rather childish marketing ploy they use to bring in customers. It's basically a bait and switch. GET PS+ AND GET FREE GAMES...that you have to pay a subscription for to actually play them, making them not "free" at all. 60% OFF SALE...if you're already spending money on PS+. PS+ FOR LESS THAN $5 PER MONTH... if you pay $50 upfront for an entire year.

It's cheap, cliched marketing.

I would really hate to think like you, hating literally everything because of less-than-brutally-honest advertising.

Or maybe it's just Sony you hate, but whatevs.
#9jammiesPosted 11/16/2013 4:24:52 AM
I used to go to the gym. When I stopped my membership at the gym, they wouldn't let me use the "free" towels anymore. I was so pissed.

---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#10Jon_GodPosted 11/16/2013 11:02:12 AM
jammies posted...
I used to go to the gym. When I stopped my membership at the gym, they wouldn't let me use the "free" towels anymore. I was so pissed.

---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/