This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

JUST got a brand new HDTV!! Couple of questions.

#1cloud_8f8fPosted 11/20/2013 8:43:58 PM(edited)
It's a Vizio 40" M Series Razor Smart LED HDTV 1060p 120Hz for $500.

I also bought a Rocketfish HDMI Cable to hook the PS3 to it.

I was wondering: That cable will automatically make the PS3 HD, but not the TV? I have DirecTV, so the only thing connected to the TV for the satellite box is the connection cable.

I thought the TV was already HD??
---
Currently Playing: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3), Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (PS3)
Official Reshiram of the Pokemon X and Y Boards
#2archizzyPosted 11/20/2013 8:50:15 PM
You need a component cable or HDMI cable for your Direct TV output into your tvs input. You can't just screw the coaxial cable or use a composite video cable as you will only deliver standard definition to the tv.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#3cloud_8f8f(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2013 8:52:42 PM
archizzy posted...
You need a component cable or HDMI cable for your Direct TV output into your tvs input. You can't just screw the coaxial cable or use a composite video cable as you will only deliver standard definition to the tv.

Ah, so a cable with two different ends. Makes sense because I didn't see a port for it on the back of the DirecTV Receiver.
---
Currently Playing: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3), Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (PS3)
Official Reshiram of the Pokemon X and Y Boards
#4archizzyPosted 11/20/2013 9:05:31 PM(edited)
cloud_8f8f posted...
archizzy posted...

Ah, so a cable with two different ends. Makes sense because I didn't see a port for it on the back of the DirecTV Receiver.

You may need to contact Direct TV and get a different receiver. An HD capable one. Many companies issue standard boxes (cable or satellite) especially a few years back when HD was more uncommon. So if you have had the receiver for awhile, it's probably a standard box.

Contact them and switch to an HD box.

Most places do this for free since your HD channels are just mirror channels of whatever channel your current package is at no extra cost.

As a side note component video is 3 plugs for Red, Green, Blue. (Many people say 5 but that is just 3 component video cables along with 2 RCA audio jacks, but component video itself is 3)
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton