This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So...when did JRPG come out? What happened to RPG?

#1SSJ_JinPosted 11/21/2013 2:44:42 PM
I've just noticed this lately. There's a few topics right now on it. When did Japanese RPGs start being called JRPGs? I'm obviously late, lol. I'm not really aware of any RPGs that aren't Japanese games. >_>

But from a few topics I've seen it always looks like people who like JRPGs are always defending themselves as if it's a bad thing.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#2KogamiShimaPosted 11/21/2013 2:45:43 PM
"J" RPG came about when purist morons refused to accept the notion that table-top RPGs and RPGs that let you do your own thing (which is ironic when they really don't.) are not the only style of RPG that can be made.
#3arstosPosted 11/21/2013 2:49:51 PM
when the type of rpgs popular on pc started making their way to consoles. prior to that it was pc rpgs and console rpgs. even though it's possible to like both they are quite different. i tend to think of it like 3rd person shooters and 1st person shooters, they're both shooters but they're presented quite differently.
---
PSN:Dragonlibrarian
Steam:Dragonlibrarian7
#4Battleship_GrayPosted 11/21/2013 2:52:12 PM
As mentioned I never saw much distinction between them prior to this generation. "PC style" morphed into WRPG and "console style" morphed into JRPG with lots of added cultural posturing and distressingly xenophobic attitudes to go along with both categories.
---
Newest Art: Kid Omega: http://i.imgur.com/fuiBc9X.jpg
http://e-carpenter.tumblr.com/
#5merqabahPosted 11/21/2013 3:17:11 PM
jrpgs have very specific qualities that make it its own genre.

no choice in dialogue, no branching abilitiy trees, separate combat mode(you enter a screen with new commands), anime designs and then all the cultural tropes that come with them.

western rpg's tend to have darker tones, better voice acting(translation plays a big part of that) real time combat, multiple dialogue choices, choosing attributes and abilities ala DnD, most of them are Lotr ripoff's, with realistic character designs.

there are exceptions, but both follow the above tropes.

the main criticism of jrpg's, is that they stick to much to their, roots and have failed to evolve, both in ideas and production values, the other is that they tend to have a childish story, which in most cases is true.
#6KogamiShimaPosted 11/21/2013 3:18:09 PM
merqabah posted...

no choice in dialogue, no branching abilitiy trees, separate combat mode(you enter a screen with new commands), anime designs and then all the cultural tropes that come with them.

western rpg's tend to have darker tones, better voice acting(translation plays a big part of that) real time combat, multiple dialogue choices, choosing attributes and abilities ala DnD, most of them are Lotr ripoff's, with realistic character designs.

the main criticism of jrpg's, is that they stick to much to their, roots and have failed to evolve, both in ideas and production values, the other is that they tend to have a childish story, which in most cases is true.

This generalized bull **** brought to you by Gamefaqs.
#7merqabahPosted 11/21/2013 4:03:35 PM
KogamiShima posted...
merqabah posted...

This generalized bull **** brought to you by Gamefaqs.

no its not generalized, there are exceptions, but not many
#8Fear the MONKEYPosted 11/21/2013 4:10:31 PM
my guess is somewhere around KOTOR or jade empire or something like that. back on original xbox. it popularized the idea of wrpgs (which stemmed from pc style rpgs, maybe?), and to differentiate the "final fantasy" type of 3rd person storytelling/involvement that Japanese developers have traditionally used in their rpgs.

ok my reasoning might not make sense, but still. my guess is somewhere around 10 years ago the term jrpg was officially coined.
---
psn/wii u id: FearTheMonkey
3DS FC: 0559 6891 5255
#9You_Need_A_LifePosted 11/21/2013 4:14:24 PM
KogamiShima posted...
"J" RPG came about when purist morons refused to accept the notion that table-top RPGs and RPGs that let you do your own thing (which is ironic when they really don't.) are not the only style of RPG that can be made.

Pretty much this. Started recently, when some dim-witted twit decided that he loved, say, Elder Scrolls but didn't want to associate it with more traditional RPGs for whatever reason, probably because he dislikes them, and just had to have some definite divide between them.

In short: Some idiot did it.
#10Fear the MONKEYPosted 11/21/2013 4:20:41 PM
You_Need_A_Life posted...
KogamiShima posted...

Pretty much this. Started recently, when some dim-witted twit decided that he loved, say, Elder Scrolls but didn't want to associate it with more traditional RPGs for whatever reason, probably because he dislikes them, and just had to have some definite divide between them.

In short: Some idiot did it.

yeah, or...OR, some twit who didn't want to associate his beloved traditional rpgs from the motherland (japan) with the newer style elder scrolls or something else we now refer to as wrpgs.

it could work both ways
---
psn/wii u id: FearTheMonkey
3DS FC: 0559 6891 5255