This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I am loving Mass Effect 2 right now.

#1Zora_PrincePosted 11/25/2013 1:37:02 PM
Going to post this quickly. Gotta catch up on some work because I didn't get much done this weekend because I am loving Mass Effect 2. It took just about everything that was awesome about the first game and made it better. I thought the combat in the first game was pretty good, especially for a WRPG. This game has a very solid third person cover shooter system which I'm really enjoying. The last game had a cool crew that I enjoyed talking to. This game's crew is even better, both from returning party members (Garrus was a little boring in the last game and is totally bad ass here) and new members. They're crazier as well to the point that I feel nervous about who I have on board I'm worried about my choice to awaken Grunt and am terrified as to what Jack will do. I was missing my old crew, and will be glad for some of them to hopefully return in the third game (Liara better come back soon if she wants me to stay faithful, but there are several woman who have shown interest lately), but I hear that none of the members from the second game appear, so that's disappointing.

Some people claim the game was dumbed down by getting rid of the inventory and planet. I disagree. I think the pacing was just cleaned up. The inventory in the last game was such a mess: You really only needed one, maybe two of each item, so it was ridiculous to receive so many weapons, armor, and ammo pieces which had no purpose but to sell, reduce to omni-gel, or carry around. As for planet exploring...I'm not saying scanning planets and shooting probes for minerals is fun, because it's not (I'm done doing this unless I need them to buy something. God, I hate this). But exploring planets with virtually the exact same layout was just as repetitive and even more time consuming in the last game. Both suck, but in ME2, it sucks a little less.

I'm in the middle of doing the loyalty missions and loving it. It really makes me realize the depth of character like Mordin, Garrus, and Miranda. It's amazing the amount of tension and greyness that goes into most of them.

My complaints in comparison to last game are minor. I do miss talking to my party members and hearing their thoughts on the scenery around them (now it only happens in specific areas and with specific characters), I miss having a massive area like the Citadel from the first game to explore, and the loading times still suck (It takes too long to get around the Normandy). Otherwise, this is fantastic .

Another game where I can see why it won Game of the Year. Unlike some other games...(coughUncharted2cough
---
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
For a pessimist, I'm pretty optimistic
#2CaptainLukaPosted 11/25/2013 1:43:20 PM
Glad you're enjoying it, TC. I'm on my eighth run through the series right now.

Mass Effect 2 is definitely good, but I do have issues with it. Mostly that you could skip the LARGE majority of Mass Effect 2 and not lose anything of value in the overall plot of the series. Still enjoyable though. Less enjoyable than the first, but more than the third. It's a fun series though.

Liara makes her appearance to reconnect if you have Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC.
---
PSN/Steam - Tyrannikos | 3DS FC: 4640-0120-2089
Currently playing - Gundam Breaker, Devil May Cry HD, Mass Effect, Tales of Xillia
#3Pyth_the_BullPosted 11/25/2013 1:43:51 PM
It's easily my favorite in the series. They just did everything right in that game apart from the final boss fight.
---
"Their hopes dashed on our shields! Their victory slashed by our swords!"
#4BaseChouGokuPosted 11/25/2013 1:54:55 PM
There's too much NPC dull talking and mundane corridor third person cover shooting and the only thing motivating me is Miranda's ass
#5cheezeknightPosted 11/25/2013 1:59:54 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way TC because this game represents everything that is wrong with current mainstream games.
---
Respect Shenmue.
#6ZoraPrincessPosted 11/25/2013 2:06:39 PM
cheezeknight posted...
I'm sorry you feel that way TC because this game represents everything that is wrong with current mainstream games.

What's that?
---
I hate farting
#7theshovellerPosted 11/25/2013 2:08:33 PM
cheezeknight posted...

I'm sorry you have to draw lines in the sand and make everything into an "us versus them" thing. But hey - I guess that's what's wrong with mainstream "gamers" nowadays. You know, that feeling where you have to enter a thread where someone likes a game you don't, and judge them on it.

TC, I'm happy you like it. I like some of the streamlining, but I hated the low number of skills and the low level cap. Given that this stuff translated fairly well into ME3's systems, though, I can see why they did it like that.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#8ZoraPrincessPosted 11/25/2013 2:10:13 PM
TC, I'm happy you like it. I like some of the streamlining, but I hated the low number of skills and the low level cap. Given that this stuff translated fairly well into ME3's systems, though, I can see why they did it like that.

I suppose I should add that...while it was good that they got rid of that hopelessly jumbled inventory from the first game, they could have kept the leveling system. It wasn't complicated and I felt more excited to use it (I really don't use my powers that much. I forget about them and don't really need them).
---
I hate farting
#9theshovellerPosted 11/25/2013 2:13:14 PM
ZoraPrincess posted...

I suppose I should add that...while it was good that they got rid of that hopelessly jumbled inventory from the first game, they could have kept the leveling system. It wasn't complicated and I felt more excited to use it (I really don't use my powers that much. I forget about them and don't really need them).

I've evolved from a "rarely use powers" player to more of a "power-heavy" player. For example, in ME2, I played my Insanity run with an Adept, and I rarely used guns at all. In my current Engineer ME3 run, I'm using pretty much Cryo Blast, Incinerate, and Overload, with the occasional burst from my armor-piercing assault rifle. I think on my Soldier character, I only ever used the different ammo types and the "slowdown" power.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#10BaseChouGokuPosted 11/25/2013 2:15:20 PM
theshoveller posted...
cheezeknight posted...

I'm sorry you have to draw lines in the sand and make everything into an "us versus them" thing. But hey - I guess that's what's wrong with mainstream "gamers" nowadays. You know, that feeling where you have to enter a thread where someone likes a game you don't, and judge them on it.

When you are on a video game forum you must learn to accept these everyday things. It's normal.

All you end up doing is wasting your time posting your grievance towards someone who couldn't care less.