This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

playing xenogears made me realize why I hate current jrpgs

#1nativeboi85Posted 12/9/2013 7:34:41 AM
Its the characters honestly a game can be generic as ie breath of fire 3 but the characters has made it one of my favorite games of all times..

Jrpgs are like a movie ...bad actors can make a potentially good movie horrible and great actors can make even the worst looking movies great.

Seriously of these current gen rpgs none of the characters really stick out to me ..even latest ffs I even hated FF 10s characters so much.

Even the most wooden stiff generic like ff7s cloud is better than anyone today and that's sad :/
#2DarkSymbiotePosted 12/9/2013 7:38:13 AM
Cloud is not generic. Not in FFVII at least.
---
R.I.P. Nelson Mandela.
#3SolidKnightPosted 12/9/2013 7:38:54 AM
I liked Xenogears back in the day but now it comes off as hokey.
#4Hiei_the_SternPosted 12/9/2013 7:40:30 AM
How is Cloud generic in the FF7 main game?

Don't just name a popular character randomly >.>
---
FFXIV! I have returned!
Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru
#5Megathorn22Posted 12/9/2013 7:40:44 AM
You're not looking hard enough.
---
Current Gaming: (PS3) Rayman: Legends (3DS) Mario and Luigi: Dream Team; Tales of the Abyss
#6DraykonPosted 12/9/2013 7:48:00 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...

I feel 1 of 3 things have happened that make people believe FFVII characters are really 1-dimensional or wooden.

1) They've played the game, saw the movie and now forget how much deeper the characters were in the game compared to the movie (they are definitely 1-dimensional in AC).

2) Never played the game, saw the movie and now believe that the characters are that bad.

3) Never played the game in the PS1 era. Love or hate the game, it was a big catalyst for the RPG explosion in the PS1 era. So you can expect a lot of the same tropes and whatnot to become common within the industry.

Obviously, realistically there will be other reasons beyond that, but as someone who played FFVII back in the late 90s and has seen AC, I feel the movie give the characters really bad names. ESPECIALLY Cloud and Sephiroth.
---
"So...yeah....and stay dead." - Raven from Tales of Vesperia
(PSN: TheDraykon GT: Draykon)
#7DarkSymbiotePosted 12/9/2013 7:51:10 AM
Draykon posted...
DarkSymbiote posted...

I feel 1 of 3 things have happened that make people believe FFVII characters are really 1-dimensional or wooden.

1) They've played the game, saw the movie and now forget how much deeper the characters were in the game compared to the movie (they are definitely 1-dimensional in AC).

2) Never played the game, saw the movie and now believe that the characters are that bad.

3) Never played the game in the PS1 era. Love or hate the game, it was a big catalyst for the RPG explosion in the PS1 era. So you can expect a lot of the same tropes and whatnot to become common within the industry.

Obviously, realistically there will be other reasons beyond that, but as someone who played FFVII back in the late 90s and has seen AC, I feel the movie give the characters really bad names. ESPECIALLY Cloud and Sephiroth.

Number 2 is the most common.
---
R.I.P. Nelson Mandela.
#8DraykonPosted 12/9/2013 8:02:15 AM
DarkSymbiote posted...
Draykon posted...
DarkSymbiote posted...

Number 2 is the most common.

That's just unfortunate then. People never knew how good the characters were.
---
"So...yeah....and stay dead." - Raven from Tales of Vesperia
(PSN: TheDraykon GT: Draykon)
#9SinfullyvannilaPosted 12/9/2013 8:06:46 AM(edited)
Xenoblade's characters are in a class of their own.

EDIT- Whoops meant Xenogears.
---
Friend Code 3050-7626-8586 Abra/Sigilyph/Gothorita FS, PM me for FS trades.
#10juzziebPosted 12/9/2013 8:07:45 AM
Let me guess TC... FF6 is da best?
---
3DS FC: 2294-4729-3240