This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

F.E.A.R. series any good?

#1You_Need_A_LifePosted 12/12/2013 7:23:53 AM
I played the demos a while back, but wrote it off as just another FPS with a gimmick, in this case, a horror/paranormal-theme. But I just redownloaded the demos for 2 and it seems pretty interesting. But I remember a lot of talk about the first one being a horrible port-job on the PS3, and the 3rd one being too action-focused and not very scary or unique at that point.

Any thoughts? I love games like Silent Hill, and while I hate generic cookie-cutter FPS games, I do like unique ones that have their own flavor. But is FEAR good? Are there better horror/shooter hybrid games on the PS3? Are all three good, or just the 2nd one? Do you need to play 1 to understand 2, and 2 to understand 3?

Just curious is all. It seems interesting now that I gave it more of a chance.
#2MickleohbPosted 12/12/2013 7:35:47 AM
I played the first one and one expansion on PC and I thought it was great. I can't comment on the PS3 version and it has been a few years so I don't remember everything, but I thought it was a good shooter and it managed to spook me quite a few times. I also liked how it had different melee attacks (jump kick, slide kick, and I think regular melee) and I want to say that the enemy AI was pretty smart (at least for the time). Also, some of the guns were awesome and so satisfying (like the nailgun).

I own 2 and 3 on Steam but never got around to playing them. I hear they started going downhill though. All in all I recommend you at least pick up the first one. My laptop from 2006 was able to play it so if the PS3 port is awful, chances are you can play it on your PC.
---
"I've got half a mind to kill you...and the other half agrees" Church from RvB
PSN:Mickleohb GT:MickleohbLite
#3nman344Posted 12/12/2013 7:42:48 AM
Yes, FEAR 2 is phenomenally good; most satisfying gunplay of any game to date. Get FEAR 1 on PC. The third game is best left forgotten.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/mrdoctor
#4abuck662Posted 12/12/2013 8:04:51 AM
i have all 3 and love all 3....but then again I am not a picky ass gamer
---
RW's LastCall2005
#5You_Need_A_Life(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2013 8:08:12 AM
Do you have all three on PS3? I'm mainly curious about whether the first game is as buggy as I've heard.

Also, of the three, which one is the scariest/creepiest in your opinions? Like, not gory or suspenseful, but flat-out scary.
#6abuck662Posted 12/12/2013 8:17:53 AM
i have the 1st on pc....and all 3 on ps3...do not remember being buggy....it's been awhile now i wanna play them again
---
RW's LastCall2005
#7Dark_SpiretPosted 12/12/2013 8:26:16 AM
i only own them on pc, but just as games---

FEAR 1 is generally considered the best. it has the best creepout moments/atmosphere and the best gunplay and character movement in the series. Its story is also the most intriguing. AI is also considered some of the best ever put into a shooter. Its negatives includes horribly repetitive environments that in general lack detail. Outside of that tho as a horror-shooter is still holds up really well.

FEAR 2 fixes up the environments, settings and pacing and is a much better looking game. does a decent job continuing the story, however they basically dumbed it down for consoles so you have more rigid movement and more simplified mechanics. they also neutered certain weapons like the shogun which was legendary in the first game. AI and scares also took a hit, but the creepy moments are still there just not quite as prominent. Its still a solid game.

FEAR 3 is where things get messy. Any sense of tension or horror is replaced with coop cover shooting and xp skill pop-ups. theres really only 2 moments in the whole 4hour game(half the length of 1 or 2) where its even slightly creepy and those only last 5minutes. The shooting is ok, but once again movement is fairly limited compared to what you could do in FEAR 1. Its story also gets butchered. Its got a few interestin gthings going for it in its coop and mp sections, but it mainly comes off as a fairly generic shooter that barely resembles anything of the first 2 games.
---
Currently playing: Rogue Legacy - Tales of Xillia - Skyrim
#8este914Posted 12/12/2013 8:44:50 AM
I have played them all on PC, my rating would be 1 > 2 > 3
---
...::: este914 :::...
The One & Only!
#9kupo1705Posted 12/12/2013 8:46:17 AM
The first 1 is easily one of the best shooters ever made. The AI and gunplay haven't been surpassed to this day.

Don't bother with the other 2.
#10BERZERKER17Posted 12/12/2013 3:44:22 PM
kupo1705 posted...
The first 1 is easily one of the best shooters ever made. The AI and gunplay haven't been surpassed to this day.

Don't bother with the other 2.

---
R.I.P TimeSplitters 4, R.I.P FreeRadical, 21st December 2008.
XBL Gamertag: Catalytic Flash