This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

F.E.A.R. series any good?

#11tisukoPosted 12/12/2013 4:54:56 PM
Dark_Spiret posted...
i only own them on pc, but just as games---

FEAR 1 is generally considered the best. it has the best creepout moments/atmosphere and the best gunplay and character movement in the series. Its story is also the most intriguing. AI is also considered some of the best ever put into a shooter. Its negatives includes horribly repetitive environments that in general lack detail. Outside of that tho as a horror-shooter is still holds up really well.

FEAR 2 fixes up the environments, settings and pacing and is a much better looking game. does a decent job continuing the story, however they basically dumbed it down for consoles so you have more rigid movement and more simplified mechanics. they also neutered certain weapons like the shogun which was legendary in the first game. AI and scares also took a hit, but the creepy moments are still there just not quite as prominent. Its still a solid game.

FEAR 3 is where things get messy. Any sense of tension or horror is replaced with coop cover shooting and xp skill pop-ups. theres really only 2 moments in the whole 4hour game(half the length of 1 or 2) where its even slightly creepy and those only last 5minutes. The shooting is ok, but once again movement is fairly limited compared to what you could do in FEAR 1. Its story also gets butchered. Its got a few interestin gthings going for it in its coop and mp sections, but it mainly comes off as a fairly generic shooter that barely resembles anything of the first 2 games.

This guy gets it.
---
+_AN|?+=E+ ?w?_+ i
PSN: tisuko | Steam: tisuko
#12shawnmckPosted 12/12/2013 5:42:20 PM
FEAR was great for it's time, but it is horribly dated now.
It's not worth playing, imho.

FEAR 2 is a more modern shooter, so it has a lot of the elements that were lacking in the original.
It starts off a bit slow, but will eventually pick up and gets real good.

FEAR 3 was a horrible sequel that ruined the franchise, imho.
It left a terrible impression on me, and the story was garbage.

BTW
I would also recommend Metro: Last Light...and maybe Condemned 2: Bloodshot.
#13You_Need_A_Life(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2013 6:54:46 PM(edited)
Thanks for the insight, guys. I'll see if I can track down a copy of the first FEAR, and I'll look into Metro too. I did play Condemned 2 at one point and really liked it, but then I heard that the 2nd half of the game was just a shooter, and I kinda forgot about it.

Also, are there any good scary games that aren't shooters or action-focused that anyone can think of (aside from Silent Hill, Siren, etc.)? I know many people love Dead Space, but it's too much action for me to find it scary. I was hoping we'd get those Amnesia games at some point, and there was Until Dawn, which looked pretty cool, but I hear it ended up being cancelled for whatever reason. Oh, how about Deadly Premonition? That Director's Cut just came out that apparently has tons of bugs, ha ha! But I hear that's creepy too.

Anyway, yeah, I'll try to hunt down the first FEAR, maybe Condemned 2, and I'll look into Metro as well.
#14J-FlyPosted 12/12/2013 7:24:08 PM
Fear is good but you won't fear anything.........pun intended.
---
---
PSN: J-Fly
#15YumeOMiruPosted 12/12/2013 7:27:52 PM
Story have a disappointing ending, the shooting is fun.
---
Having a dream is essential to live.
#16ElBorak77Posted 12/12/2013 7:32:23 PM
i played 2 and 3 and thoroughly enjoyed them.
---
PSN El_Borak_77
#17Dark_SpiretPosted 12/12/2013 7:49:18 PM
when it comes to real horror games youre kinda outa luck on the ps3. most of them are on pc.

if you want to go that route then check out--
Amnesia the Dark Decent and A Machine for Pigs
Penumbra
Scratches
SCP
Cry of Fear
Underhell (shooter)
Cryostasis
Outlast
STALKER series (shooter)
The Void

also keep a look out for--
The Forest
Routine
SOMA
The Evil Within (ps3?)
Survarium

which are looking very promising.
---
Currently playing: Rogue Legacy - Tales of Xillia - Skyrim
#18shawnmckPosted 12/12/2013 8:50:14 PM
You_Need_A_Life posted...
Thanks for the insight, guys. I'll see if I can track down a copy of the first FEAR, and I'll look into Metro too. I did play Condemned 2 at one point and really liked it, but then I heard that the 2nd half of the game was just a shooter, and I kinda forgot about it.

Also, are there any good scary games that aren't shooters or action-focused that anyone can think of (aside from Silent Hill, Siren, etc.)? I know many people love Dead Space, but it's too much action for me to find it scary. I was hoping we'd get those Amnesia games at some point, and there was Until Dawn, which looked pretty cool, but I hear it ended up being cancelled for whatever reason. Oh, how about Deadly Premonition? That Director's Cut just came out that apparently has tons of bugs, ha ha! But I hear that's creepy too.

Anyway, yeah, I'll try to hunt down the first FEAR, maybe Condemned 2, and I'll look into Metro as well.

^ I can't really think of any good scary games that aren't shooters.
You can maybe try Dead Island, since it has a much bigger emphasis on melee weapons...but it ain't all that scary. It does provide some jumps as zombies attack you and get into your face, but eventually you get used to it. And like Dead Space, it is more Action-heavy. I personally love the game, but it isn't for everyone. Though it's combat is brutal & bloody. You can dismember & break limbs, and even strip flesh away to show bone. But again, it's very Actiony.

I would also highly recommend Doom 3 (BFG), as it is pretty scary...though it's a FPS like FEAR is.
At the very least check out game-play footage over at youtube to see if it is something that might appeal to you.

Other than that, I just can't think of anything else.
#19You_Need_A_Life(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2013 12:50:49 PM
Well, it seems the first game doesn't exist. At all. Maybe it never did, but I can't find it anywhere.

I did find a 2/3 combo pack for $15 though, so that's not bad, even if the 3rd isn't great.

Anyway, thanks, guys! Gonna start the second one tonight...when it gets dark...scary!
#20riddlebox89Posted 12/14/2013 1:07:56 PM
You_Need_A_Life posted...
Well, it seems the first game doesn't exist. At all. Maybe it never did, but I can't find it anywhere.

That's how it was for me too, had the second and third and was trying to get the first for about two years before getting lucky and finding one copy at gamestop last year.

Should try eBay or Amazon if you do online shopping.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.