This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just beat MGS1 (PS1) I LOVED IT! do the next games get worse or better?

#1AwesomeOSaucePosted 12/31/2013 2:25:55 AM
See I really loved this game and I'm wondering how the later ones are.

I've seen some footage of MGS4 and MGS5 and it seems really bleak, dull gray brown environments in rubble destruction areas.
I also saw tons of high powered rifle weapons and shooting 100s of guys like it was a Rambo movie.
I thought these were supposed to be Stealth games.

then I've seen some footage of MGS3 and Peace Walker and all I saw were jungles, and jungles and more woods outdoor areas.

I saw some MGS2 and it seemed to have more diverse cool environments like MGS1 so I guess thats nice.

But how are the next games in the series? NO spoilers please.
Do they really become less stealth and more shoot em up Rambo style?
Do they have more boring environments with brown gray dull colors and rubble ruins?

I really liked MGS1 so I was hoping for more games that followed the setting location of that game.
---
http://soundcloud.com/sunnyterra/audio-recording-on-monday-29
^ Hermiione says my name and says I''m cute! ^_^
#2DeadlineGamerPosted 12/31/2013 2:28:01 AM
Play MGS2.I haven't played MGS3 a lot and MGS4 sucked.
MGS2 is the best game in the series and one of the best games of the sixth gen.
---
What happens in the dark comes out in the light.
#3TheChoworderPosted 12/31/2013 2:32:08 AM
MGS1 > MGS3 > MGS4 > MGSR > MGS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MGSPW.

That's how i like them.
#4MudbuttSanchezPosted 12/31/2013 2:33:28 AM
MGS 1 is arguably the best game in the series. The story, atmosphere, characters and pacing puts it on the top even with its outdated gameplay.

The newer games mainly improve on the gameplay.
#5MarikoNumber35Posted 12/31/2013 2:34:07 AM
Sadly tc as a die hard fan let me tell you that the games do become less stealthful.
The do have the option to play in an a stealth like manner but the really start urging you from MGS3 onward to shoot guys with your weapons and the games don't have nice areas like MGS1. they will mostly consist of ruins and destroyed areas as well as lots of jungles.

My suggestion is to play MGS2 and then if you really want to play MGS3 onward then try it but it can be hard if you really loved the first game.
---
"You're a liar!"
-Lucy / Nyu / Queen Diclonius-
#6Deja-EntenduPosted 12/31/2013 3:40:12 AM
I'd rank them like MGS2 > MGS1 > MGR> MGS3 > MGS:PW > MGS4. I haven't played Portable Ops yet.

MGS2 has been my favorite game for the last decade. The games don't really get less stealthy (well, not Rising), but they do give you the option to play it like a shooter if you really want to. The gameplay tightened up and they got rid of infinite spawns on alert phases.
---
bettr than u deal w/ it
#7gfaqsterPosted 12/31/2013 4:00:48 AM
Deja-Entendu posted...
I'd rank them like MGS2 > MGS1 > MGR> MGS3 > MGS:PW > MGS4. I haven't played Portable Ops yet.

MGS2 has been my favorite game for the last decade. The games don't really get less stealthy (well, not Rising), but they do give you the option to play it like a shooter if you really want to. The gameplay tightened up and they got rid of infinite spawns on alert phases.

From what I've seen

MGS1 and MGS2 = similar type environment closed area inside bases and stuff. love it.

MGS3, Peace Walker and Portable Ops 80% Jungle areas some stealth but also emphasis on shooting more.

MGS4 cities and destroyed ruins very bleak and dull atmosphere gray is the dominant color. more emphasis on being a third person shooter than a stealth game.
---
We live to make the impossible possible!
-Lightning-
#8Res5Posted 12/31/2013 4:05:33 AM
Every game in the franchise has stealth elements but they give you the option to Rambo your way out if you so wish too. Me? I suck at stealth. Half the time I ended up shooting my way through MGS4.

I don't think one should fault MGS4 for brown environments (especially since there's plenty of other environments throughout the game) when MGS1 was mostly the cold steel base.

Whether you like the later games or not is really up to you. There is no single accepted answer or ranking for the games. They are all amazing.
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com
#9EminentFatePosted 12/31/2013 4:30:55 AM
The introduction of the M9 tranq gun in MGS2 and onwards is among the most OP thing in your inventory in video games. In MGS1, if you were going for a no-kill run, you really had to play like a ghost and study enemy patrol routines. The tranq gun in later games makes the stealth aspect very easy.

As for war-torn levels, that really only applies to MGS4. MGS2 has kind of an orange colour palette to it as well because of the setting.
---
There's a troll in every man, and it stirs when you put a keyboard in his hand.
#10Solid_PWPosted 12/31/2013 4:51:21 AM(edited)
MGS2 is more akin to MGS1 in terms of both gameplay and atmosphere.

MGS3 is still like 1 and 2 with some differences in the aesthetics and you have more combat options like CQC. Survival like gameplay are present like killing animals and eating them, curing yourself, changing camouflages to blend in with the environment.

MGS4 is similar to and expands to what have been introduced in 3 and feels more and more like a third-person shooter with stealth elements. No more survival stuff but camouflaging is still there, albeit easier than before in the sense that it automatically does it for you (if you so allow it).

Portable Ops has gameplay similar to 3 but mission based. Super clunky.

Peace Walker has gameplay similar to 4 but is mission based like Portable Ops and you manage a base and some other fancy stuff. Emphasis on multiplayer, pretty fun.

Metal Gear Rising is cuhrayzee.
---
"I don't believe in maaaagiiiiicccc." - Zhang Jiao, Dynasty Warriors 3