This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Shenmue costed 80 million while Beyond Two Souls costed 26 million...

#1mtjormitchPosted 12/31/2013 3:56:23 PM
This tells me one and only one thing... Sega should just hire Quantic Dream and have them make Shenmue 3. They know how to keep a budget and they know how to make money and games in the style like Shenmue.

It makes to much sense to not happen.
---
Story in video games have gotten more important than gameplay nowadays. I recommend dealing with this fact and learning that this is now a storytelling medium.
#2JiZamezPosted 12/31/2013 4:01:37 PM
Oddly enough, that just may work. It's not like Shenmue's gameplay was really any good, it was more a cinematic experience more than anything else.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/MapleStory
#3MegaCyber09Posted 12/31/2013 4:08:42 PM
How about a game of lucky hit?
---
XBL Gamertag: CyberGTX09 / PSN: cybergt09
"Life is the life of life." - Unknown
#4AenemanPosted 12/31/2013 4:10:17 PM
Mandatory David Cage hate incoming.
---
"Mornin'!"
"Mornin'... best time of day to go f*** yourself!"
#5nyannyan91Posted 12/31/2013 4:12:48 PM
I'm sure we can work something out here.... "cough" yu suzuki and Sega.
#6EternalNetherPosted 12/31/2013 4:17:16 PM
mtjormitch posted...
This tells me one and only one thing... Sega should just hire Quantic Dream and have them make Shenmue 3. They know how to keep a budget and they know how to make money and games in the style like Shenmue.

You're way off base here. Back when Shenmue came out the technology to make such a game was incredibly expensive. Fully voicing the game was incredibly expensive. The entire game used technology that back then was not commonplace. It practically invented open world console games for crying out loud. Beyond only cost 26,000,000 because in this day and age tech like that is much easier to utilize and come by, and the price for doing full voice acting has gone down substantially.
---
Steam ID/PSN ID: Solirus
Currently Playing:Assassin's Creed IV (PS4), Killzone Shadowfall (PS4), DC Universe (PS4)
#7Deja-EntenduPosted 12/31/2013 4:24:31 PM
Aeneman posted...
Mandatory David Cage hate incoming.

It wouldn't be unwarranted.
---
bettr than u deal w/ it
#8PangLaPosted 12/31/2013 4:29:02 PM
That was like a decade ago... Shenmue was ahead of its time.
#9PStrifePosted 12/31/2013 4:33:25 PM
EternalNether posted...
mtjormitch posted...

You're way off base here. Back when Shenmue came out the technology to make such a game was incredibly expensive. Fully voicing the game was incredibly expensive. The entire game used technology that back then was not commonplace. It practically invented open world console games for crying out loud. Beyond only cost 26,000,000 because in this day and age tech like that is much easier to utilize and come by, and the price for doing full voice acting has gone down substantially.

Adventure style RPGs have been around alot longer then Shenmue. The problem is Sega upper management kept screwing around on the hardware side, which made it go through a long life-cycle. It being a Saturn title in it's inception that got pushed to the Dreamcast is the problem.

Assets and the engine had to be remade from scatch for the new upgrades. Which increased R&D time exponentially. It was a terrible time for devs like Rare (Dinosaur Planet becoming Star Fox Adventures) and Sega AM2 with the forced hardware changes to their already lengthy scoped projects.
#10professional gamerPosted 12/31/2013 4:55:57 PM
How much of those millions did they give to Ellen Page and whathisface?
---
PSN: Profess-Gamer