This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If we're not in a video game crash, can't we say we are in a "creativity crash?"

#1icewolf74Posted 1/1/2014 2:27:21 PM(edited)
Yeah, we may still be getting new video games made and the industry posts huge profits, more so than the movie industry, but the lack of creativity is mind-boggling in today's video game market. Everything is just a copy-paste of another title and/or one sequel after another after another. Honestly, this creativity crash has been on-going since 2008, when Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare released; a game series that I do enjoy but I am saddened how so many publishers have tried to emulate their profit margins.

What happened to creatively developed games? Games like Parappa the Rappa, Light Gun Games, Music Rhythm games, Epic JRPGs, Jumping Flash!, Flight Sims, and so on? Oh I know, it was the proliferation of Call of Duty type-profits that killed creativity and instead filled the desires of people acting out in overly violent imaginary scenarios. Seriously, how many Assassin Creed games do we need in one generation? -_-"
#2kaminarikidPosted 1/1/2014 2:26:44 PM
icewolf74 posted...
What happened to creatively developed games?

Those games are on handhelds now. Production costs for console games are way too high for anyone to be creative anymore.
---
PSN: Kaminari_Kid
Not changing this signature until Kofi Kingston wins a world title. Started 12/12/12
#3thisranksPosted 1/1/2014 2:27:27 PM
icewolf74 posted...
Yeah, we may still be getting new video games made and the industry posts huge profits, more so than the movie industry, but the lack of creativity is mind-boggling in today's video game market. Everything is just a copy-paste of another title and/or one sequel after another after another.

What happened to creatively developed games? Games like Parappa the Rappa, Light Gun Games, Music Rhythm games, Epic JRPGs, Jumping Flash!, Flight Sims, and so on? Oh I know, it was the proliferation of Call of Duty type-profits that killed creativity and instead filled the desires of people acting out in overly violent imaginary scenarios. Seriously, how many Assassin Creed games do we need in one generation? -_-"

Reads OP ... sees abnormal regional mentality ... understands why the TC is blind to the truth.
---
Delusions are as necessary to happiness as realities.
Yuki Nagato, Mafuyu Oribe, Kurumu Korono, Yui Kotogawa, Kaori Kanzaki, and Himari Noihara FTW
#4delfrickintreePosted 1/1/2014 2:27:34 PM
the more the merrier?
Creativity is still out there, just drowned out.
#5WrestlinFanPosted 1/1/2014 2:28:03 PM
But we are in a video game crash.
---
"It has to come straight from Iwata's closet and have that fresh Nintendo smell otherwise you suck." Sir_Haxor
Shoot me a PM on Miiverse: BlueCadet-3
#6WrestlinFanPosted 1/1/2014 2:29:28 PM
And creativity has gone no where. You're just not looking for it.
---
"It has to come straight from Iwata's closet and have that fresh Nintendo smell otherwise you suck." Sir_Haxor
#7icewolf74(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2014 2:30:28 PM
kaminarikid posted...
icewolf74 posted...
What happened to creatively developed games?

Those games are on handhelds now. Production costs for console games are way too high for anyone to be creative anymore.

Good point!

It seems since games are so expensive to make now, everyone is afraid to take risks and create a game that might fail...OR MIGHT BE A HUGE SELLER!!! So yeah, we're definitely in a creativity crash. =(
#8icewolf74(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2014 2:32:12 PM(edited)
WrestlinFan posted...

Mind giving me some examples of creative games on the PS3 that are different from the norm "huge blockbuster title" outside of indie titles that are usually very average and often ignored by the gaming population as a whole?
#9Battleship_GrayPosted 1/1/2014 2:32:11 PM
WrestlinFan posted...

I tend to agree. Not only are there still "mainstream" games that break rank, the indie space is filled with more creative fare.
#10WrestlinFanPosted 1/1/2014 2:35:12 PM
icewolf74 posted...
WrestlinFan posted...

Mind giving me some examples of creative games on the PS3 that are different from the norm "huge blockbuster title" outside of indie titles that are usually very average and often ignored by the gaming population as a whole?

With the way you're generalizing AAA and Indie games, It's almost like you don't want to see creative games.

And why would you care if a game gets attention "from the gaming population as a whole"?
---