This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is metal gear solid 4?

#1Fishman24Posted 1/1/2014 4:01:54 PM
I have only played through metal gear solid 2. I have not really played metal gear 3 and 4. Thoughts and why.
#2stawg007Posted 1/1/2014 4:03:39 PM
Don't go near it until you play mgs 1, 2 and 3
---
lPayneToTheMaxl
#3aj4x94Posted 1/1/2014 4:12:37 PM
stawg007 posted...

This. You won't understand a thing unless you play 1-3.
---
Playing: Skyrim, Lone Survivor, GTA V, Siren Blood Curse, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus, Splinter Cell Blacklist
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94
#4OracleGunnerPosted 1/1/2014 4:13:39 PM
Play through 1 and 3 so you can understand the story.

Gameplay wise I'm kinda not really surprised, but I'm slightly disappointed.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle that Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse. ppl who got it:2
The official Tlaloc of the SMT IV board.
#5SSJ_JinPosted 1/1/2014 4:17:59 PM
Go ahead and play it. Then play 1 and 3 and realize how much trash 4 is. Save the best for last, there's nothing much to understand anyway considering everything is explained with one answer.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#6mmc2679Posted 1/1/2014 4:37:46 PM
I only played 1 and I still enjoyed 4. So go for it.
---
PSN ID: Mustq Wii U ID: Crimson 3DS FC: 2105-9940-9707
#7Deja-EntenduPosted 1/1/2014 5:26:55 PM
stawg007 posted...

This.

But as to the quality, it's really well made but it has it's fair share of problems. Be warned it does a lot of really goofy ret-conny stuff to the plot, and it's the most cutscene heavy game in the series. MGS1 and 3 probably have the best gameplay-cutscene ratio. I like MGS2 the most out of all of them but it is cutscene and codec heavy. I just think the cyber-puny plot is super interesting.
---
bettr than u deal w/ it
#8Sipher360Posted 1/1/2014 5:32:48 PM
If you like cut scenes, then you'll love this game. If you like to actually play a game, then you may find yourself getting irritated. Not to mention the story is so convoluted and drawn out, in typical MGS fashion.
---
"Ahk and them never did nothing to me....terrorism is when you hang a * from a tree..." -Grand Puba Maxwell
#9EminentFatePosted 1/1/2014 5:41:05 PM
It has the most refined gameplay in the series, IMO. Of course, each successive installment in the series keeps raising the bar for stealth games. But too bad the unbalanced gameplay-cutscene ratio means you'll be spending more time watching the game than actually playing it. And even then, only the first two out of five levels accomodate the gameplay with its level design. The remaining three are pretty linear and disappointing.

As for the plot, it retcons some stuff here and there, and nanomachines is notoriously used as a plot device to conveniently explain away elements. You're better off playing MGS1 and 3 before playing through 4.
---
There's a troll in every man, and it stirs when you put a keyboard in his hand.
#10Skull007o_OPosted 1/1/2014 6:01:31 PM
If you want to remotely like this game, you'll first have to go through MGS1, 2 and 3

MGS4 es pure fan service for the fans of the saga, and even with that in mind, many people say it was a disappointment as a whole

However, it has the most epic moments this gen IMO, as well as some epic bosses with epic dialogue and more epic stuff

But seriously, lots of amazing moments in this game, but only for those who played its prequels