This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long will my FAT PS3 last after being repaired?

#1SaulGoodman1Posted 1/1/2014 3:05:08 PM
Hi, I have a FAT PS3 from 08/09 that recently got the blinking red light/YLOD.

I had it repaired by some guy off Craigslist for $40, and that was back in September, it has been fine since. No overheating or trouble so far.

I'm just wondering how long I should hope/expect my system to last? Anyone else that has had a similar experience. I have a PS4 but I like the PS3 better for media and PS+ exclusives.
---
3DS FC: 2079-7102-7078
#2izza20Posted 1/1/2014 3:18:25 PM
A few months. My fat ps3 got repaired and lasted six, but that was primary being used as a blu-ray player by a friend. Your ps3 is very much on borrowed time, stop using it and get yourself another ps3 to copy everything to while they are both still working and you can use the data transfer utility.
#3SaulGoodman1(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2014 3:41:23 PM
Alright, that pretty much seems to be the general consensus. There's no way to transfer my PS+ games...right?
---
#4Great_Pudding_3Posted 1/1/2014 3:44:19 PM
Use the time to save up for a superslim then do a transfer. Put the fatty on your shelf proudly.
---
PS4: MelancholicZen
NNID: Quake Guy
#5SaulGoodman1(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2014 3:49:26 PM
Yeah I was trying to avoid spending the $$$ since I'm building a HTPC for my media needs to replace ps3 and was hoping that the streaming service for ps4 (genkai?) would be available but I haven't heard much about it....let alone anything official.

But I can pick up a slim off amazon/ebay pretty cheap, is there any difference between slim vs super slim aside from aesthetics?
---
#6nellyfan804Posted 1/1/2014 3:58:03 PM
SaulGoodman1 posted...
Yeah I was trying to avoid spending the $$$ since I'm building a HTPC for my media needs to replace ps3 and was hoping that the streaming service for ps4 (genkai?) would be available but I haven't heard much about it....let alone anything official.

But I can pick up a slim off amazon/ebay pretty cheap, is there any difference between slim vs super slim aside from aesthetics?

Slims are amazing
---
I <3 Ke$ha. Uffie best female Rapper.
Psn-JillValentine
#7izza20Posted 1/1/2014 6:15:06 PM
SaulGoodman1 posted...
Alright, that pretty much seems to be the general consensus. There's no way to transfer my PS+ games...right?

If you use the data transfer utility, and providing your ps+ subscription is still current, it should transfer just about everything including ps+ games. As I said though, both ps3's need to be working to use the data transfer utility. So keep the old one alive until you get a new one. And if you do have a ps+ subscription, make sure you are making proper use of cloud saves. If your old one does die before you can get a new one, at least those saves will be preserved.
#8groz24Posted 1/1/2014 6:24:19 PM
I pretty much just use my fatty as a back up after getting it repaired, so that it's not on all that often.