This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I transfer all my game data and game save files to another ps3 system?

#1cheatermasterPosted 1/1/2014 5:26:45 PM
To my horror, my ps3 is now broken. It's the old 60 GB (when the ps3 was first released in North America) but after all these yeas it's now broken. I turned it on but within seconds it turns itself back off. Now I gotta get a new ps3 system but I am very pissed off because I've spent god knows how many hours on a lot of game save files, and now I have to see them all disappear because my ps3 broke and I'll have to start all over again.

Is there any chance I could transfer everything like my game data and game save files to my soon to be new ps3? Or will I have to start all over? Because some game files I've spent so many hours getting (like I had to get all the battle trophies in Star Ocean the Last Hope International) and I'm not really sure if I wanna go through all that again.
#2AnonUnknownPosted 1/1/2014 5:34:38 PM
You need to resurrect the old PS3 just for the transfer. Then you'll transfer everything through ethernet cable, and the content will be erased.
#3cheatermaster(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2014 5:36:41 PM
Really? You mean I can save all my hard worked game save files and game data?? Also, how would I resurrect the old ps3? It's not working anymore after all.
#4cheatermaster(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2014 5:51:37 PM
Bump.
#5huyiPosted 1/1/2014 9:50:49 PM
hairdryer trick, look it up on youtube, do so at your own risk of course and make sure you transfer what you need fast it's only temporary fix.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD7750 8GB RAM 2TB HDD DLC THE GAME http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h472NmF1HEQ
#6dormcastePosted 1/6/2014 11:56:07 PM
The answer is yes, unless you can't get your old PS3 to start up again. I lost mine a couple months ago and was furious when I figured out I needed the old unit to transfer my data. Unfortunately my PS3 was completely dead. I don't know if I could have reflowed the solder or not, but I threw it out before I figured that out.

You're probably going to need to start all over on everything.
#7darkness1018Posted 1/7/2014 12:27:33 AM
I have my most important saves (at least least the one si could copy) onto a usb drive.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 (PS3 & PS Vita) 3DS XL FC 0490-6058-6459 NNID: Nightwing2918
Systems I own: PS2, PS3, PSP, PSV, Original Xbox, 3DS XL, WiiU
#8HoBoSPosted 1/9/2014 10:54:01 AM
If it is the YLOD, find a place that can do it for you (GopherMods in Minnesota, I believe, did mine). Its a slight hassle to ship a console, but I found it worthwhile just for my save data. I havent used that old PS3 since transferring to my new one, buts it is nice to know that it is there.
---
" yes you are [an alcoholic], you're just on sabbatical" -Starfirepenguin
#9fantomas418Posted 1/9/2014 5:12:20 PM
If it's not a hard drive problem, i think you can remove the HDD of your old ps3 and put it in the new ps3.

Use the backup option on a external HDD

then replace the original HDD in the new ps3 and restore your thing
#10HoBoSPosted 1/13/2014 1:48:50 PM
fantomas418 posted...
If it's not a hard drive problem, i think you can remove the HDD of your old ps3 and put it in the new ps3.

Use the backup option on a external HDD

then replace the original HDD in the new ps3 and restore your thing

Nope, this doesn't work. If you plug the old PS3 HD into a new PS3, it will format it and wipe everything. You have to transfer from the old PS3 to the new one if you want to keep the data, meaning your only choice is to repair the YLOD first.
---
" yes you are [an alcoholic], you're just on sabbatical" -Starfirepenguin