This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When are we gonna get a proper Star Trek game?

#1Noname81Posted 1/16/2014 9:41:54 PM
Topic?
#2LordOfLegaciesPosted 1/16/2014 9:59:04 PM
If by "proper" you mean good, then probably never.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
Yep, sure f***ing showed me.
#3captsplatter_1Posted 1/16/2014 10:00:02 PM
Have to be something like eve, to work best.
#4LordOfLegaciesPosted 1/16/2014 10:04:48 PM
Not everything needs to be an MMO.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
#5SDSSocietyPosted 1/16/2014 10:31:16 PM
It would have to be based on the original series for me to get really interested. However, if said game was really well made I'd settle for TNG setting. Beyond that I'd pass.
---
Monsters from the Id
#6Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 1/17/2014 1:28:59 AM
I doubt it because the crux of Star Trek is about social problems and cultural conflicts. To create those in games is very difficult since they rely on very good writing which relies on simplistic choices to drive it. An free choice Star Trek where you decided to destroy the Klingon's homeworld would just eliminate that great part that makes Star Trek so attractive, the endeavor to be more altruistic than any species is possible to strive for more and the greater good. It seems that it would be an easy game to make honestly but it has such a cursed history in the world of gaming I'm not sure anyone even wants to invest it anymore with those sales numbers for the last 30 years. They finally had a decent chance this generation (the free PSN service, huge fan base, and great HD graphics) and they squandered their only opportunity on a buddy co-op Star Trek that might as well been Gears of War or Army of Two. Truly a pathetic concept. Exploration, diplomacy, and mind games is what makes the Star Trek universe.
#7boredofyouPosted 1/17/2014 2:37:11 AM
Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
I doubt it because the crux of Star Trek is about social problems and cultural conflicts. To create those in games is very difficult since they rely on very good writing which relies on simplistic choices to drive it. An free choice Star Trek where you decided to destroy the Klingon's homeworld would just eliminate that great part that makes Star Trek so attractive, the endeavor to be more altruistic than any species is possible to strive for more and the greater good. It seems that it would be an easy game to make honestly but it has such a cursed history in the world of gaming I'm not sure anyone even wants to invest it anymore with those sales numbers for the last 30 years. They finally had a decent chance this generation (the free PSN service, huge fan base, and great HD graphics) and they squandered their only opportunity on a buddy co-op Star Trek that might as well been Gears of War or Army of Two. Truly a pathetic concept. Exploration, diplomacy, and mind games is what makes the Star Trek universe.

So much this...
---
If you fell for it, it isn't cheap. It is just something that works on you. Adapt.. Or curl up in the fetal position, your call.
#8LordOfLegaciesPosted 1/17/2014 3:18:33 AM
Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
Exploration, diplomacy, and mind games is what makes the Star Trek universe.

Well then it's not impossible. Like you said, it would take some great writers. But Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines/Redemption, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic series, DragonAge: Origins, Mass Effect, there are plenty of great games that heavily feature all of those things in one way or another.
---
#9lambchipsPosted 1/17/2014 3:23:41 AM
Its called Infinite space
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#10Custers_RevengePosted 1/17/2014 3:31:04 AM
I would love to see a game that feels like the shows. You're the captain and you're traveling through space, picking up distress signals and seeing how you can help and also there can be side quests that show up on radar that you can choose to do. Then you can assemble the away team and control them as they investigate. It doesn't sound too hard to make a game like that. Ideally, I'd like a lot of varied missions, so it's more like the show as opposed to one giant mission like the movies.