This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you prefer having exploration or a more linear experience?

#1hyperknees91Posted 1/19/2014 11:28:22 AM
With exploration you can expect complete freedom of playing the game at your own pace. But usually game design is messier and less balanced.

With linear, you sacrifice freedom for possibly nonstop action and a more focused experience.

Which one do you prefer more?
---
oof
#2servb0tsPosted 1/19/2014 11:41:48 AM
100% exploration. It opens up my mind and I get creative and do some crafty things along the way.

No matter the Genre, I love exploring, I'm kind of surprised this isn't a poll lol.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems.
A Strong Fighter is not One who Wins the Fight, But One who can Stands after Defeat.
#3AlltraPosted 1/19/2014 11:46:05 AM(edited)
Definitely prefer Exploration. Hell, I even prefer racing games with exploration, like Diddy Kong Racing, or the San Fransico Rush titles.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#4ArsenicSteelPosted 1/19/2014 11:44:46 AM
Depends on the game.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#5VegantoKeensPosted 1/19/2014 11:50:43 AM
Linear games can still be fun, but exploration just makes a game last so much more and feel way more like a game. I like the feeling that I can go where ever I want, that the game world is my oyster with secrets, Easter eggs and collectibles scattered across every nook and cranny.

Uncharted 1-3 and TLoU were great, but what really started to piss me off, were the constant barriers from one area to the next. There is an invisible point of no return every 1-2 minutes, like the developer's hand is rushing me behind my character's back. And these are games from the people that made the open world J and D games. Crash Bandicoot had more freedom.
---
Try not to cry in nostalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pK2MV_sfs
GMT + 1 PSN = William-Lake
#6SmoshCuchPosted 1/19/2014 12:03:23 PM
It depends on how the exploration is handled.

I hate the 'go find this guy to continue your quest, but I'm not going to give you the slightest hint where he is, so just wander around like an idiot until you happen to stumble across him' appoach.
Especially if 'exploring' doesn't net you any tangible reward that you wouldn't have sought out or been directed to anyway.

I like the GTA approach. You want to explore? OK, here's a whole mess of stuff to find: packages, jumps, rampages, side missions, etc, etc. to make it worthwhile.
You just want to get on with the story? Fine, go see Vito. Here, I'll put a giant V on your map and make the spot glow from 3 blocks away.

As far as linearity, I don't mind just going from Point A to Point B as long as I'm having fun along the way. I grew up on games that literally only let you go from left to right, so what people call 'linear' now just doesn't feel restrictive to me.
#7crazyj10Posted 1/19/2014 12:05:33 PM
If done well, exploration. It's fun to get lost and stumble upon something cool or some useful supplies. But if the environment is bland and barren, might as well make it linear.
---
"Don't worry. I'm here. Someone told me I'm the only one who can save the world."
-Purple Heart
#8zooknutPosted 1/19/2014 12:09:58 PM
I like a medium mixture of both in a game unless its open world of course..I don't want every item to jump out at me but im not gonna do a barrel roll to get thru a brick wall either
#9Dark_EpathyPosted 1/19/2014 12:27:33 PM
I think linear, personally. I have fun with open-world games to some extent, but I discovered with Assassin's Creed mostly that I just didn't enjoy much of the stuff I was doing. There's a lot of content to complete in something like Skyrim or Grand Theft Auto, but, in my opinion, it's more about scratching the completionist itch than actually enjoying the content itself.

A linear game, though it may not have as much variety, can be still be very engaging, fun, and focused, and the story's usually much better, to boot. So I'll take that instead.
---
"We're not too far gone. We can come back." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
#10II_ZIAH_IIPosted 1/19/2014 12:40:20 PM
Both can be just as fun as the other, but games with exploration last much longer, with usually much more to experience. I would go with games with exploration
---
"Good men mean well, we just don't always do well." - Issac Clarke