This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How would you improve jrpgs to appeal to wrpg fans?

#351KefkaesqueXIIIPosted 2/12/2014 9:24:45 AM
Jo_Joanine posted...
-Have appropriate casting. A soldier should be a person who is believable as such.
No 15-year old schoolgirls who just happen to be part of an elite fighting force (i.e. FF8 as an example).

Quistis being a professional soldier and mentor at a military school when she's in her teens is not.

While I will agree that "battle hardened teenaged soldiers" is a bit of problem in JRPGs, FFVIII is actually one of the few games where it's justified, seeing as creating child soldiers was the whole point of Garden.

Children could be enrolled as young as 5 and they got kicked out if they didn't pass the SeeD exam by the time they turn 20. It even gets pointed out a couple times that normal people their age wouldn't be acting or thinking the way they do.

As for Quistis being a teacher, remember that she lost the job within a year of obtaining the position, being told that she had failed as an instructor.
---
http://tinyurl.com/OperationDecode
Please sign this petition to get Digimon Re:Digitize Decode localized!
#352apollooooPosted 2/12/2014 9:27:11 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
Dicer7 posted...
Get Atlus to start releasing new console SMT titles.

This.

SMT is really the only J"RPG" that's actually got the important elements of an RPG like character development that isn't scripted (e.g. my level 255 Hitoshura will probably have a very different skill set than yours), choices that actually impact the world, a complex combat system (contrary to popular belief, PC CRPG's (what everyone calls WRPG's now) began utilizing turn-based combat, but that did it in an engaging way to make it a tactial challenge. See the original Fallout games, etc.; the original JRPG's were eastern copies of Ultima and Wizardry, the fathers of CRPG's, and they really didn't evolve from that formula until the PSX era, and arguably not even then).

Most JRPG's with turn-based combat you can just mash Attack over and over until everything dies, then heal up when you get to a boss and actually go all out. In SMT you can easily be killed by random encounters if you don't understand how the system works, so it actually requires tactics and strategy.

agree with this wholeheartedly. i haven't played much of atlus games, but devil survivor 1&2, strange journey is one of my top jrpgs
---
Love is a kiss of a terminal bliss. from the smile on your face, to the line you rephrase will guide you to your love.
your love is a kiss, my undying wish
#353TwinmoldPosted 2/12/2014 9:37:08 AM
One thing Japanese anime does well is its portrayal of war. Maybe because Japan has actual experience of war?

Lol, I don't know how everybody else missed this gem right here.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf
#354theshovellerPosted 2/12/2014 9:39:24 AM
Twinmold posted...
One thing Japanese anime does well is its portrayal of war. Maybe because Japan has actual experience of war?

I have no idea, but it is hilarious as hell, and will be something for the ages. Someone, inscribe that on something!
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#355QuestionmarktariusPosted 2/12/2014 9:44:06 AM(edited)
Fun fact: The original Dragonquest is a very "western" JRPG. It's essentially a dumbed-down Ultima clone.

KefkaesqueXIII posted...
While I will agree that "battle hardened teenaged soldiers" is a bit of problem in JRPGs, FFVIII is actually one of the few games where it's justified, seeing as creating child soldiers was the whole point of Garden.
FF8 is pretty much Japanese Ender's Game, except everyone is slightly older.

Twinmold posted...

Hmmm... may also explain the JRPG trope of towns getting obliterated?
#356Devilman_AmonPosted 2/12/2014 9:56:28 AM(edited)
One of the reasons (besides trying to appeal to a wider demographic), that JRPG's use younger characters, is to emphasis the character building more and the idea that the characters are thrown into an epic war or journey situation; you so the player can feel the growth of the characters beyond just stat building.

In many Western RPG's (aside from maybe Fable (since you start off as a kid) and of course South Park) since they're systematically trying to appeal to action affictionados, mainstream casuals pulled in by dark realism Hollywoodesque cinematics and D&D/Lord of the Rings/Star Trek fans, they preset the characters to already be battle hardened warriors, because "that is more believable".

But in war or journeys like that, how often is that true? Sure we have seasoned soldiers, but many times in war, civilians caught up in a mess have to take up arms and many soldiers end up being kids on the frontline, let alone the drafted 18 year olds.

If the character you pick is already a war torned middle aged badass, then whats the point of the RPG building? He's already a baddass. I could see if it was an action game like Devil May Cry, Darksiders or Bayonetta where the character is preset and there's no real RPG sense to it, but and RPG, you usually start out with a base character and through traveling the world and battling you gain experience.

Now I think there should be a middle ground. No tiny sexualized kids and no fugly super middle aged roided freaks. And yes, a lo of times the writing is bad and juvenile in jrpg (TORIYAMA), but a lot of times the writing in wrpgs is dull as hell so there needs to again be a middle ground. And good art style. In Japan they incorporate famous artists for their work and you an see it displayed. In WRPG's they dont really do that. I didn't really see McFarlane's style or Jim Lee's style shine through perfectly in Amalur and DCU.
They need to try different art styles and use some actual artists...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#357sora364Posted 2/12/2014 10:43:55 AM
I find it amusing one of the #1 complaints about JRPGs is the writing.

The writing in WRPGs is the largest deterrent that inhibits me from taking them seriously. Bores me to tears.

It is not a matter of "good or bad" writing, than it is what personally appeals to you. I cannot imagine my Persona, Tales, or Xenoblade with the narrative structure of Skyrim or Dragon Age. Just imagining it is god awful to my tastes.
#358dmcd93Posted 2/12/2014 10:51:15 AM
"RACE WAR!!!!"

Seriously though, trying to "improve" a game to appeal to a different demographic is seldom received well by anyone involved.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell: http://tinyurl.com/7dq7bf9
#359EVILBRENDAPosted 2/12/2014 11:07:02 AM
Why in the hell would you want all games the same?
---
PSN: cavesitter/Live: cavesitter
Battlelog Info is cavesitter1 Don't ask.
#360AlwaysRunningPosted 2/12/2014 11:08:27 AM
Better writing and storytelling, for starters. FFXIII could have been the third-coming of the JRPG for Western audiences, but instead we got an indecipherable story, filled with unlikeable characters, the most BORING lead character ever, a button-spamming, monotonous battle system, and any number of other flaws you can point out. Toriyama shipwrecked the series, and the entire genre along with it.

The fallacy of FFXIII is in changing what works to become something that you're not. JRPGs work great when they are focusing on their strengths--like in-depth storytelling. But when you focus on action-spam battle systems and a world mythos so dense that it needs a damn encyclopedia (that still doesn't make sense), you're looking in all the wrong places.