This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any dragon quest games or SMT games on PS3?

#1KiraWinsPosted 2/12/2014 10:25:45 AM
I also have a ps2, I'm in love with smt IV and I enjoy dq - was wondering if there were any older titles I should look at. thanks
---
I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT *MUNCH*
3ds FC : 0791 - 1255 - 3512
#2dmcd93Posted 2/12/2014 10:30:32 AM
I wish I could play SMT IV, freakin' Nintendo with their BS release windows, *mumble*.

Anyway, I can't say anything in regards to DQ, I'm not a fan. But regarding SMT the answer is unfortunately, no.
You have a PS2 though, so I would recommend SMT: Lucifer's Call; it's debatable, but many point to this as the best game in the series.
There's also the two Digital Devil Saga which are worth checking out.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell: http://tinyurl.com/7dq7bf9
#3KiraWins(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 10:35:01 AM
dmcd93 posted...
I wish I could play SMT IV, freakin' Nintendo with their BS release windows, *mumble*.

Anyway, I can't say anything in regards to DQ, I'm not a fan. But regarding SMT the answer is unfortunately, no.
You have a PS2 though, so I would recommend SMT: Lucifer's Call; it's debatable, but many point to this as the best game in the series.
There's also the two Digital Devil Saga which are worth checking out.

Thank you. I didn't enjoy the DQ game on Ds, but I recall playing one on PS2 that just had a crazy feel for its time, with a beautiful overworld and ost. I wish I remember what it was though :(

just got into Smt, so far the series is really enjoyable. glad theres a great number of games to go back and try.
---
#4xenosaga123Posted 2/12/2014 10:38:38 AM
Nintendo is greedy and selfish with 3rd party titles that aren't multiplatform.

that's why you don't see Fatal Frame 4 on Playstation 3. They bought the rights and exclusivity (and they didn't bother to localize it.)

It's really a shame, Tecmo is stupid doing business with Nintendo.

Also Atlus/SMT has this lame tradition of making SMT exclusive to Nintendo platforms or portables mostly.

Well at least Persona 5 is coming to PS3, but Fatal Frame series should come back to Playstation consoles and make more sequels.
#5KiraWins(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 10:42:59 AM
xenosaga123 posted...
Nintendo is greedy and selfish with 3rd party titles that aren't multiplatform.

that's why you don't see Fatal Frame 4 on Playstation 3. They bought the rights and exclusivity (and they didn't bother to localize it.)

It's really a shame, Tecmo is stupid doing business with Nintendo.

Also Atlus/SMT has this lame tradition of making SMT exclusive to Nintendo platforms or portables mostly.

Well at least Persona 5 is coming to PS3, but Fatal Frame series should come back to Playstation consoles and make more sequels.

well I have a 3ds , psp, wii u , ps3, ps2, ps1. huehue

just wish I had a gamecube so I could cover some of those jrpgs. (I really liek jrpgs)

lol. I still need to play xenosaga :o
---
#6dmcd93Posted 2/12/2014 10:54:27 AM
What JRPG's do you like? Having a PS2 means that you have access to one of the best libraries of JRPG's available, and I'm sure this board can provide you with plenty of great games to check out.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell: http://tinyurl.com/7dq7bf9
#7KiraWins(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 11:00:14 AM
dmcd93 posted...
What JRPG's do you like? Having a PS2 means that you have access to one of the best libraries of JRPG's available, and I'm sure this board can provide you with plenty of great games to check out.

all. for my ps3 I have all the tales games, disgaea 4, so4, ff13 1/2

i havent played much besides the FF, SO, and tales of on PS2, so I was sort of curious what other great games there were that people could recommend.
---
#8Dawn_WandererPosted 2/12/2014 11:15:44 AM
KiraWins posted...
i havent played much besides the FF, SO, and tales of on PS2, so I was sort of curious what other great games there were that people could recommend.

SHADOW HEARTS.
The best trilogy of JRPGs on the PS2. Unfortunately, they will probably never make it as PS2 Classics. Licensing and all.

Play them in order, but I would strongly suggest "Covenant" if you had to choose.
#9KiraWins(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 11:25:49 AM
Dawn_Wanderer posted...
KiraWins posted...

SHADOW HEARTS.
The best trilogy of JRPGs on the PS2. Unfortunately, they will probably never make it as PS2 Classics. Licensing and all.

Play them in order, but I would strongly suggest "Covenant" if you had to choose.

wow it looks visually enticing. how are the stories? dark, edgy, or more lighthearted? any voice acting?
---
#10Dawn_WandererPosted 2/12/2014 12:32:16 PM
KiraWins posted...
wow it looks visually enticing. how are the stories? dark, edgy, or more lighthearted? any voice acting?

The storyline in the first two are dark and edgy. The first game looks and feels like a PS1 title with very little voice over. The voice work sucked, but is almost non-existent and the battle voices are left in Japanese. It's a little difficult with some noteworthy sidequests and bosses.

Covenant is dreadfully easy if you know what you're doing. The rehauled battle system is fun though, allowing for combo attacks, which can easily be abused with the right set-ups.

Covenant and From the New World both have great English voice overs (with a few bad eggs).

From the New World has a whimsical storyline and is more of a spin-off, but plenty of bridges from Covenant. It offers the best and balanced gameplay and higher difficulty, but offers less in story. Combos can't be abused anymore, so there is some real strategy involved for bosses and even random encounters. Plenty of on-going sidequests to extend playtime.

The whole series provides great humor overall, but From the New World tops it all.

A few of the protagonists can morph into demons/spirits with different looks and skill sets.