This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen - PS3 or 360?

#1SheepinatorPosted 2/12/2014 10:27:53 AM
I have it from PS+ recently, and I see the 360 version is $18.45 on Amazon. I'm wondering if it's worth buying the 360 version and playing that instead of the PS3 version. The rental aspect of PS+ isn't a big concern since I have a subscription lasting way longer than I anticipate playing the game. I've read the PS3 suffers from frame rate drops while the 360 suffers from screen tearing, and I'm thinking the latter may be more tolerable for gameplay, plus it seems like the 360 version looks slightly better. Has anyone played PS3 or both, to give an opinion?
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#2shawnmckPosted 2/12/2014 10:34:59 AM
I have both versions, and they appear the same to me. If there are any differences, then they are too small to really notice unless you have them running side-by-side.
But as far as I can tell, they run almost identically.

As for which version you should get...my guess would be based on which controller you like best.
Or, you could do what I did and get both.

BTW
In case you are wondering why I would get both...it's because I like the game so much, I wanted to have back-up in case one or the other console breaks...that way I can still play it regardless.
I sometimes do that with a select few games that I absolutely love.
But you won't notice any differences in Dragon's Dogma (they are that close).
And I don't believe anyone who claims that one version is better than the other. I tried both on the same tv one after the other (to see if there were any differences), and I couldn't tell.
#3Sheepinator(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 10:39:32 AM
shawnmck posted...
I have both versions, and they appear the same to me. If there are any differences, then they are too small to really notice unless you have them running side-by-side.
But as far as I can tell, they run almost identically.

Thanks. I've been reading the Digital Foundry analysis and they do seem very similar. I was mostly concerned about the frame rate vs screen tearing, is it a big issue on either platform? Or did they improve the performance with patches after release?
---
#4shawnmckPosted 2/12/2014 10:48:51 AM
Sheepinator posted...

Thanks. I've been reading the Digital Foundry analysis and they do seem very similar. I was mostly concerned about the frame rate vs screen tearing, is it a big issue on either platform? Or did they improve the performance with patches after release?

^ I couldn't say, as I never down-loaded any patches.
But if there were any patches, then they would already be in the Dark Arisen version, since it contains all the DLC and new content.

I can also tell you that the Dark Arisen version of Dragons Dogma was also tweaked a little, because I've owned (& beaten) the vanilla game & the Dark Arisen version, and I noticed that in the new Dark Arisen version the game has slight tweaks to enemy difficulty in some areas and other slight changes.
So I am assuming that if any patches that fix frame-rate or screen-tearing (if they even exist) would already be included in the Dark Arisen version.

Plus, wasn't the Digital Foundry comparison done with the original version ?
I am not aware of them doing it with the Dark Arisen version (which is the new updated version).
#5shawnmckPosted 2/12/2014 11:17:54 AM
BTW
I never found the frame-rate to be a problem, nor did I much care about the occasional screen-tearing.
Graphically, the game is not impressive. That's not to say its ugly either, but it isn't trying to wow anyone with graphics.
It kinda feels a bit like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls in that regard, as it goes for game-play and atmosphere over graphics.
But again, the game isn't ugly either, as it makes up for a lot with aesthetics.

But in terms of frame-rate issues, the game sometimes stutters at certain times, but nowhere near as bad as some games. yeah it's noticeable, but it doesn't happen a lot. It's occasional. But again, its not really that big of a deal. It's just an occasional hiccup when there are a lot of enemies on screen, or when you are transitioning areas. Normally the frame-rate is fine.

For me its not an issue at all...so unless it is a real pet-peeve with you, then I wouldn't concern yourself over it. It's an open-world game (the first for Capcom), so you have to allow for some blemishes.

Also, I would suggest you head over to the game's forums to ask about this specific question (frame-rate & screen tearing) there, so as to judge their reaction to it.
My prediction is that they aren't bothered by it in the slightest, because it doesn't happen a lot, and because the game more than makes up for it in other areas.
But it can't be denied that it exists either.

It's actually a bit like Dark Souls in that regard...
DS also had frame-rate issues and screen tearing...but it doesn't happen often and doesn't really affect the overall enjoyment of the game.
Same thing with DD.

BTW
sorry for the long posts.
#6Dicer7Posted 2/12/2014 12:38:17 PM
The differences between the two are so insignificant I wouldn't recommend buying one if you already own the other. I do prefer the 360 version though. The screen tearing is much more tolerable than the PS3's frame rate drops. I noticed both still have the issue of characters and enemies not rendering promptly if you run around too fast.
#7theGodPantiesPosted 2/12/2014 12:40:15 PM
360 hands down

Multiplatform games are always better on M-Soft consoles

True for 3 gens now
---
FACT: Demon's Souls: rpg of the millennium
#8Sheepinator(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2014 12:55:46 PM
Thanks Shawn and Dicer, and I appreciate the long and informative posts Shawn. If it were the same price on both systems I'd probably lean to 360, but since I already have it from PS+ I'll probably just stick with that for now.
---
#9Mindwipe77Posted 2/12/2014 1:04:22 PM
theGodPanties posted...
360 hands down

True for 3 gens now

wrong, most 360 versions are better but not always( ff 13, lords of shadow to name a couple) and 3 gens? no ps4 versions are mostly better than th x1 versions
---
Lightning Returns, MY GOTY 2014
"All the significant breakthroughs were breaks with old ways of thinking."
#10takean2kPosted 2/12/2014 3:10:50 PM
Mindwipe77 posted...
theGodPanties posted...
360 hands down

True for 3 gens now

wrong, most 360 versions are better but not always( ff 13, lords of shadow to name a couple) and 3 gens? no ps4 versions are mostly better than th x1 versions

This^
---
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser