This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Even though I loved DmC, I can understand why fans were pissed off.

#1ZoraPrincessPosted 2/14/2014 2:59:03 PM(edited)
If you were just a casual fan of the past games (played through them once or twice with out ever really mastering the combo system or getting Ss in everything, which I to a degree am) and don't hate the new art direction, you'll probably love it. As a stand alone video game, it is a very good hack N Slash/Beat'em Up with a unique art direction and style you don't see often in video games.

However, in comparison to past DMC games, it is, without a doubt, dumbed down. The combat system lacks the depth and skill of the past two games. It lacks the challenge that they offered, both in challenges and in the enemies that they throw at you. It changed a story that wasn't yet complete and added tons of controversial ideas which were made to appeal to a wider audience rather than pleasing established fans.

This was all made worse by the worst PR I've seen in video games, with both the developers and gamers mocking each other, insulting each other, and sending each other death threats.

As much I loved DmC and am sad that we'll never get a sequel, this game deserved to fail just to teach Capcom a lesson.

As a Tomb Raider fan, I've been in the exact same situation with the Tomb Raider reboot: I've watched the developers remove all of the meatier elements (Puzzles, platforming, traps, etc.) and instead replace it with third person cover shooting and giant horrible Uncharted-style set pieces. Both might be good stand-alone video games, but they're both made for wider, dumber audience.
---
I hate farting
#2DotsAndLinesPosted 2/14/2014 3:17:44 PM
Excellent post. I'd give you a thumbs up if I can.
---
WARNING: This post may contain OPINIONS. Opinions that may differ from yours. Do not read if you are unable to handle it with maturity.
#3AnonUnknownPosted 2/14/2014 3:19:49 PM
ZoraPrincess posted...
This was all made worse by the worst PR I've seen in video games, with both the developers and gamers mocking each other, insulting each other, and sending each other death threats.

What? Tameem insulted and sent death threats to gamers? That's news to me o_o
#4DrLight66Posted 2/14/2014 3:20:44 PM
Don't forget capping the framerate at 30fps, when all 4 previous games, including 3 on the old PS2 hardware, ran perfectly smooth at 60
#5sonic51489Posted 2/14/2014 4:02:31 PM
I love DmC (and have been a fan of the series prior) and it has has become a very close second to my favorite Devil May Cry game (DMC3:SE)
---
Rikkka66: It's such a pain chasing after a burning medic while screaming "Come back! I need to blow you!" into the mic.
#6ZoraPrincess(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2014 6:32:48 PM
DrLight66 posted...
Don't forget capping the framerate at 30fps, when all 4 previous games, including 3 on the old PS2 hardware, ran perfectly smooth at 60

The game should definitely be faster, I agree.
---
I hate farting
#7SpreadDemLegsPosted 2/14/2014 6:53:12 PM
I agree all though I think the Tomb Raider: Reboot was just generic trash. TBH it's kind of odd considering Ninja Theory have made HnS before with deeper combat than DmC. It's a fun game but you got to wonder if Capcom are the ones who requested them to dumb it down. Let's face it, it's a lot better game than Capcoms home grown RE6.
#8A_Nonny_MoosePosted 2/14/2014 8:23:49 PM
I've said before I'm quite a casual DMC fan. I didn't play DMC3 or 4 until after the DmC demo came out, because DmC felt off and it caused me to get into the series. I've only played 3 and 4 once on Normal, and DMC1 a few times on Normal back in the day, but DmC still doesn't compare. Even as it's own thing it's not great. I can feel Ninja Theory and Capcom pulling in different directions all the way through the game.

The difference with Tomb Raider was that although it wasn't a good Tomb Raider, it was a very good example of the genre
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#9ZoraPrincess(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2014 8:57:00 PM(edited)
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
I've said before I'm quite a casual DMC fan. I didn't play DMC3 or 4 until after the DmC demo came out, because DmC felt off and it caused me to get into the series. I've only played 3 and 4 once on Normal, and DMC1 a few times on Normal back in the day, but DmC still doesn't compare. Even as it's own thing it's not great. I can feel Ninja Theory and Capcom pulling in different directions all the way through the game.

The difference with Tomb Raider was that although it wasn't a good Tomb Raider, it was a very good example of the genre

I'm not like an anti-DmCers, where they're literally deluded enough to say DMC2 is better than DmC. I enjoyed the reboot and acknowledge it's a solid video game and even though it took far too much inspiration from Uncharted for my liking (a very mediocre series), I actually enjoyed it, unlike Uncharted. However, as a Tomb Raider fan, I hated watching them kill pretty much everything that made the series so great. It's another game where all of the thinking elements: puzzles, platforming, etc. are butchered in favor of ACTION! ACTION! ACTION! Like DmC, it was made for a dumber audience.

If games like that were a dime a dozen, I wouldn't complain. But you don't get games like Tomb Raider: Anniversary or Prince of Persia anymore. Platforming and puzzles solving is practically dead and just replaced with lots of shooting and shallow setpieces.

This is why I'm pessimistic about Gen 8. The problems with soaring game costs killing creativity and niche titles seems like it will just get worse.
---
I hate farting
#10DevilTears604Posted 2/14/2014 9:17:56 PM
ZoraPrincess posted...
A_Nonny_Moose posted...

I'm not like an anti-DmCers, where they're literally deluded enough to say DMC2 is better than DmC. I enjoyed the reboot and acknowledge it's a solid video game and even though it took far too much inspiration from Uncharted for my liking (a very mediocre series), I actually enjoyed it, unlike Uncharted. However, as a Tomb Raider fan, I hated watching them kill pretty much everything that made the series so great. It's another game where all of the thinking elements: puzzles, platforming, etc. are butchered in favor of ACTION! ACTION! ACTION! Like DmC, it was made for a dumber audience.

If games like that were a dime a dozen, I wouldn't complain. But you don't get games like Tomb Raider: Anniversary or Prince of Persia anymore. Platforming and puzzles solving is practically dead and just replaced with lots of shooting and shallow setpieces.

This is why I'm pessimistic about Gen 8. The problems with soaring game costs killing creativity and niche titles seems like it will just get worse.

You never know. The dominant genre seems to loop around. RPG's were pretty much dominant for a couple of generations. Right now is just simply the shooter's turn. We'll just have to see what genre comes out on top in a few years.
---
Gamers are too reactionary. Games are like fine wine, they must linger for us to get their true taste. There are plenty of examples.