This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A couple questions about upgrading the hard drive in my PS3.

#1TheLoneGunmenPosted 2/15/2014 4:47:48 PM
I am nearing 120 GB on my 160 GB PS3. I've been reading up on switching the hard drive out and I understand how easy it is from a hardware perspective, but I had a few questions that I wanted to clear up before I attempted it.

1.) When using the back-up utility built into the PS3, does it back-up the game data or just the saves? I'm trying to determine the size of flash drive I need. I'm going to purchase one when I buy the hard drive as was wondering if a 64 GB version would suffice. Also, I have no media on the hard drive. It's all game data.

2.) Is it better to manually back up the PS3 or is the back-up utility the better option?
---
In their own unique way, the three gunmen were patriots, fighting the good fight.
#2Link_2666Posted 2/19/2014 11:35:39 AM(edited)
Everything is backed up. Now, logically, if your storage media is only 64 GB and you have 120GB of stuff on your console, the backup utility is going to want to do it all in one swing; that's when it would hit a dead end. So that's where either a larger storage media device or a manual backup would be better. Make sure the HDD you put in as a replacement is a 2.5in/9.5mm internal SATA. I've heard some say the RPM doesn't matter, and some say it does, but if you want to be safe, the factory HDD is at 5400 RPM (it's also a seagate, but that likely doesn't make a difference). Some say anything higher causes overheating issues, but others say that isn't true at all. Anywho, I recently bought a 1TB upgrade for mine. That oughta last me a while :P
---
PSN: ShadowShockX. XBL: Ace0fSpades52
Currently playing: Far Cry 2 (PS3), Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3)
#3linuxroxPosted 2/19/2014 12:37:32 PM(edited)
Link_2666 posted...
Everything is backed up. Now, logically, if your storage media is only 64 GB and you have 120GB of stuff on your console, the backup utility is going to want to do it all in one swing; that's when it would hit a dead end. So that's where either a larger storage media device or a manual backup would be better. Make sure the HDD you put in as a replacement is a 2.5in/9.5mm internal SATA. I've heard some say the RPM doesn't matter, and some say it does, but if you want to be safe, the factory HDD is at 5400 RPM (it's also a seagate, but that likely doesn't make a difference). Some say anything higher causes overheating issues, but others say that isn't true at all. Anywho, I recently bought a 1TB upgrade for mine. That oughta last me a while :P

Does that include DLC and downloaded games? Do you have to re-download all of that stuff once you transfer over? I talk to a Playstation support person and they said I would have to download all of that back onto my new hard drive. Which for me would probably be around 50 gigs, which is basically impossible for me to do with my crappy connection.
---
Who dares, wins.
#4AnonUnknownPosted 2/19/2014 12:42:43 PM
linuxrox posted...
Link_2666 posted...

Does that include DLC and downloaded games? Do you have to re-download all of that stuff once you transfer over? I talk to a Playstation support person and they said I would have to download all of that back onto my new hard drive. Which for me would probably be around 50 gigs, which is basically impossible for me to do with my crappy connection.

Everything means everything. But some models would require you to reinstall the firmware from an external drive.
#5linuxroxPosted 2/19/2014 12:47:47 PM
AnonUnknown posted...
linuxrox posted...
Link_2666 posted...

Everything means everything. But some models would require you to reinstall the firmware from an external drive.

A lot of people on the interwebz have said that DLC and downloaded games transfer over, but the thing that worries me is that chat I had with the Playstation CS person. Then again at first she thought I was talking about the Data Transfer Utility, so maybe she had no idea what she was talking about.

Also, I need someone who has actually done this to confirm this before I go out and buy a hard drive. I'd hate to have bought one and find out it's worthless.
---
Who dares, wins.
#6Link_2666Posted 2/20/2014 4:58:55 PM
linuxrox posted...
AnonUnknown posted...
linuxrox posted...
Link_2666 posted...

A lot of people on the interwebz have said that DLC and downloaded games transfer over, but the thing that worries me is that chat I had with the Playstation CS person. Then again at first she thought I was talking about the Data Transfer Utility, so maybe she had no idea what she was talking about.

Also, I need someone who has actually done this to confirm this before I go out and buy a hard drive. I'd hate to have bought one and find out it's worthless.

It does absolutely everything except for PS1/PS2 game saves, but those can be transferred manually before/after you run the backup utility. I just did a system restore today and trust me, all your games and dlc are transferred over so you don't have to worry.

I'm incredibly impressed that Sony made upgrading the hard drive so seamless. Even the copy protected game saves carried over (which happens to be a unique feature of running the utility over manually transferring things). Every account and sign in information is ALL carried over. After I was finished with everything, I turned on my PS3 and it was just like turning it on with the old drive in it.

Also, to amend my first post, the factory drive in the PS3 is actually a Toshiba, but again, the brand doesn't really matter. Actually, the replacement drive may actually be better as Toshiba drives have a higher failure rate than other brands.
---
#7linuxroxPosted 2/20/2014 6:40:57 PM
Link_2666 posted...
linuxrox posted...
AnonUnknown posted...
linuxrox posted...
Link_2666 posted...

It does absolutely everything except for PS1/PS2 game saves, but those can be transferred manually before/after you run the backup utility. I just did a system restore today and trust me, all your games and dlc are transferred over so you don't have to worry.

I'm incredibly impressed that Sony made upgrading the hard drive so seamless. Even the copy protected game saves carried over (which happens to be a unique feature of running the utility over manually transferring things). Every account and sign in information is ALL carried over. After I was finished with everything, I turned on my PS3 and it was just like turning it on with the old drive in it.

Also, to amend my first post, the factory drive in the PS3 is actually a Toshiba, but again, the brand doesn't really matter. Actually, the replacement drive may actually be better as Toshiba drives have a higher failure rate than other brands.

Okay, thank you. I'm actually doing a restoration on another laptop hard drive I had lying around and damn it's taking a long long time. It's odd how the PS1/PS2 things aren't carried over, but I don't really care about that I can just restart those games from scratch. The only problem I had at first was when I went to make a backup file on my external hard drive, I had to find and delete all corrupted data before it would let me transfer my data over. I had to boot my PS3 into safe mode and do the "Reestablish database" thingy to be able to delete them, but after that it transferred without any errors. I'll post an update on how the transfer worked out tomorrow. I just want to put this info out on the internet for anyone out there like me who has no idea how this thing works and wants clear answers, I couldn't seem to find anything too useful in all of my Google searching. Anyway thanks again, I don't want to be buggy but I wanted to be 100% sure none of my data would be lost, I would be devastated. x_x
---
Who dares, wins.
#8linuxroxPosted 2/21/2014 1:09:14 PM
I am sad to report the restoration did not work at all for me. I do have my original hard drive backed up onto my external hard drive, when I install the firmware on my new hard drive and went to the backup utility, chose "restore" and picked the file, it restored but then when I rebooted the system it said "The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored." and I pressed "OK" to restore the data. After it finally finished it rebooted and the same message keeps popping up now, it's in an infinite loop. I'm really stumped. I have no idea what to do now. Should I format the hard drive and try again?
---
Who dares, wins.
#9Link_2666Posted 2/21/2014 5:08:44 PM
linuxrox posted...
I am sad to report the restoration did not work at all for me. I do have my original hard drive backed up onto my external hard drive, when I install the firmware on my new hard drive and went to the backup utility, chose "restore" and picked the file, it restored but then when I rebooted the system it said "The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored." and I pressed "OK" to restore the data. After it finally finished it rebooted and the same message keeps popping up now, it's in an infinite loop. I'm really stumped. I have no idea what to do now. Should I format the hard drive and try again?

I had something similar happen but I'm not sure it was the same message I got. If you're using an external laptop drive, it draws power from whatever device it's connected to instead of direct AC power. When the system reboots, the external HDD doesn't recognize it as a regular boot up so it doesn't start up. As soon as your console reboots, quickly unplug and plug in the external and that should restore power. I noticed this because as soon as the system would reboot, the power light on my external would be off. Anyway, I hope that helps.
---
#10linuxroxPosted 2/22/2014 8:56:05 AM
Okay. Some updates: I just plopped the hard drive that I tried to restore onto into a laptop and booted a live Linux USB to inspect the hard drive, looks like it's having read errors, so that could be the problem. I now have another hard drive that I also inspected and it appears to have no problems. I'm doing a full format (expected to take 8 hours!) and I will then try to restore my backup again. I'll post an update on Sunday if it works...or not.
---
Who dares, wins.